The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 16, 2012, 10:08 PM   #1
DATL

Mini-G

So i'm REALLY interested in the M1 Garand, and have been price shopping both them and their accessories. I stumbled upon this Mini-G by Shuff's Parkerizing and it seems pretty awesome. I am a big scout rifle fan, and love shorter rifles. I wanted to know what you all think about them, and/or if anyone has any experience with them? www.shuffsparkerizing.com

FWIW I do already have an AR . My next move is on something kind of like a M1 Garand, or M1A, or Mini 30. I have heard people say they are much faster on stripper clips than mag's, and must say I am intrigued by the 30-06 semi-auto....and curious about the stripper clips... Thoughts?

Old December 16, 2012, 10:44 PM   #2
mitranoc

Wow, that looks awesome!!
Old December 16, 2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Lprmcnit

Mini G

I got my rifle modified by Shufflin nearly two years ago. He did a great job, its my favorite rifle to shoot. The only hassle and it has nothing at all to do with his business is that it was difficult to ship the rifle via UPS; local UPS was clueless.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

I must be missing something, but that seems like taking a Garand receiver (of which there are fewer of all the time) and basically turning it into an M1A Scout?
Old December 17, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5
DubC-Hicks

Ridge Runner, yes, they are ruining pieces of American history. Making a rare and valuable rifle into an abomination.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Nine the Ranger

Why not just buy an M1A Scout instead of ruining a Garand?
Old December 17, 2012, 12:38 AM   #7
DATL

@ mitranoc, I agree!

@ lprmcnit, nice- if you have any pics you'd like to share feel free to! I can see how one of these could easily become my most favorite rifle to shoot as well- when I procure one lol. I love the historical value of the M1 Garand. It adds to the cool factor greatly...as do the clips and 30-06 caliber.

@ Ridge Runner, yeah maybe it is sort of like turning a Garand into an M1A Scout except different in that you get the clips and 30-06 caliber. With the numbers I was playing with the conversion seems cheaper than a M1A. I love all my .308's but there is some serious allure to a 30-06 semi (my only 30-06 is a bolt action...gets boring). I want one of these AND a .308 Socom lol. One day...
Old December 17, 2012, 01:08 AM   #8
DATL

@ Dub C Hicks, seriously? That sounds a little exaggerated to me. Shortening a rifle and adding a nice stock and finish does not seem to me like ruining history. Just because it is an M1 Garand makes no difference in my opinion. Then again this rifle's service date is before my time. However, I showed the this rifle to several vets at my gun range, who shoot Garands among other rifles- and they LOVED it. They thought the original M1 Garand was just as good as the M1A. FWIW they were not paper pushers or suburban commandos. Just good ole guys. I respect your opinion though. I guess I am just not a purist- I like the disc brake conversion kit in my 68 mustang Maybe my wife will get me an A/C for Christmas lol.

@ Nine the Ranger, Where do we draw the line is it okay to just change out the stock in general, or is that ruining it also? Is it okay to get an 870 barrel cut? Can I add new grips to my Walther PPK? I'd like trijicon sights on a 1911 is it ruined? I'm just saying...

Last edited by DATL; December 17, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:13 AM   #9
5.56RifleGuy

That is basicly a BM 59. Im not sure what the price of that is, if its more than 2500, I would just get a Bm59 or 62.
Old December 17, 2012, 01:18 AM   #10
DATL

You have to have a M1 Garand and they"ll do the conversion to it for $525.00
Old December 17, 2012, 01:29 AM   #11
5.56RifleGuy

Oh ok, thats not too bad. The nice Berretta BM 59, BM62, and Bm 69 rifles must be where the idea came from. If you decidevyou want a factory original rifle of this type they would be what you were looking for. I see them at auction every once in a while. Ive seen a bunch lately. They will most likely cost more than that conversion. I like to keep things original, but as you know its your rifle, and you should do what you want with it.

Last edited by 5.56RifleGuy; December 17, 2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: typos
Old December 17, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
DubC-Hicks

DATL, even though there are still lots of M1's around, they aren't becoming any more common. And people that bubba surplus rifles are just making them rarer. And modifications are fine, IMO, but they need to be easily reversible and bring the rifle back to 100% original condition. Especially with rifles this valuable and historic.

And my 68 fastback had the disc brake conversion, too.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:59 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

So I read they bent the op-rod...

I'd like to compare their OP-Rod to the BM-59's. If they're the same, then the conversion should be good. If not, it can be problematic.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:42 PM   #14
DATL

DubC-Hicks, I really do see your point of view. I was looking at the standard M1 Garand, and upon finding some with a nice new black finish on the metals, and a really nice looking wood stock (like the one's of the Mini-G, just factory length), I think I like them just as much or more as the shorter "tanker" versions.

Ah, that's awesome you are into the 60's stangs! A man after my own heart LOL. Yeah funny thing about the drums/discs. Last year I was hot rodding mine around a little bit, hadn't drove it in a while- hit the breaks and didn't get much of a response! Made it back home down shifting and had to promptly kick the drums to the curb! Whew!
Old December 17, 2012, 10:53 PM   #15
DATL

BM 59

DLiller, wow I'm not familiar with the Berretta BM59. It looks A LOT like the "Mini-G" conversion. I love the bipod. Good call on a comparable to the Mini-G. I wonder how much they are costing in the non-internet world. I'd imagine a good bit the trident isn't usually cheap lol.

BM 59
Old December 18, 2012, 12:11 AM   #16
5.56RifleGuy

Ive seen them go for around 2100 lately. It looks like they are 308 though
Old December 18, 2012, 01:44 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Looks to me like the BM59ish(magazine) conversion is $800+$300 for the shortening of the barrel. Original Garand is about $600 from CMP. Still $500 cheaper than a real BM59 by price above. The cheapest I saw a BM59 in good shape was $3000 though.

I think sometimes we get caught up on "ruining" C&R guns. It is one thing if you have a 98% all parts matching gun, but one that has been re-arsenaled several times and has all different parts, some of which have pitting... Go for it.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:02 AM   #18
bernie

We all have opinions, but are we really right? Who knows.

I really enjoy M1 Rifles! However, if you own it, do what you want with it. Somehow, doing a custom M1 is bad because they are "rare and valuable". Truthfully, they are not that rare. If someone was doing an unusual conversion on a Ruger Mini 30, no one would have heart burn, and I suspect there are waaaaay more M1 rifles floating around than Mini 30's.

I am going to get one of my M1's done this way when I am steadily employed again. If you do not get the magazine conversion, a new barrel and op rod and the rifle is "restored". I do not want the mag, because I like en blocs for a number of reasons, but that is my belief not everyone elses. If you want the mag conversion, go for it.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:51 PM   #19
bamaranger

mini G

Always wanted a Tanker, and the Mini-G seems like more of a good thing. I do not want a box mag, the enbloc will be fine, thanks. And I think I'd like it in .308 to reduce flash.

I would not mod a decent Garand to make a MIniG, but there are lots of beater Garands out there that came in as imports that have issues and I would not hesitate to mod one of those.

Last I looked, Shuff will do a plain MIniG for about half of what you'll give for a Socom or Scout M1A
Old December 21, 2012, 12:58 PM   #20
stubbicatt

How hard is it to screw a standard GI barrel on one of these, and restore it to "original" configuration? I do not see any modifications to the receivers which would be irreversible.

So this "abomination" is nothing other than a Garand in drag. It can put on it's "boy clothes" at any time.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:27 PM   #21
bamaranger

too

New barrels are not an issue for a Garand plumber. It is not a hobby job like a Savage rifle, but it is a task often done. And there are lots of optons available, period barrel, new barrel GI spec, match barrel.

One would need a new op rod too, as the MiniG rod gets a special bend.
And you'd have to add some wood. I think you make a valid point, it is not a end all mod.