The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 30, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1
PigFarmer

Need a drill for trigger control

All of my groups with my handgun are pulling right of where I am aiming. They are tight so I know its not a flinch, and a had an instructor tell me my tigger pull wasn't straight back. Question is, what is a drill to help me correct this?
Old August 30, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
docnyt

Are you right handed? Sounds like you need a firmer grip with your left hand. You can practice dry firing (with the firearm unloaded or with snap caps of course) with your forearms held vertically in front of you. When you pull the trigger with the pad of your index finger, watch for any lateral movement and see if you can correct it through practice.
Old August 30, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
PigFarmer

Yes I am right handed. Thanks
Old August 30, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
c.j.

There's the 'balance' trick, where you balance a coin on the barrel while dry firing to practice...

Another idea I read about recently was taking a laser (any type, doesn't really matter as long as it can be turned on), attaching it to the pistol (painter's tape should work ok for this purpose), and dry firing that way. You'll see any movement through the pull reflected by the laser. Better yet, YOU focus on the sights and have someone else watch the laser for movement.
Old August 30, 2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Stressfire

Lol, when I first read the title I thought you meant practicing trigger control with a Craftsman

Can always try one of those corrective targets

I know what you are talking about, and I know what your instructor means, I used to do the same (still do if I go a long time without practice).

Try dry-firing using sights on a smallish target, center the trigger on the between the first joint & the tip of your index finger and concentrate on slowly increasing pressure while keeping sights on target until trigger breaks as docnyt suggested.

Query: is this an overall problem or particular to a type of action? I tended to pull hard right on a da/sa for the first shot and would subsequently hit the same spot with followups. Had similar issue with my DAO .380 - was pulling trigger rather than squeezing it back.
Old August 30, 2011, 03:08 PM   #6
FDT

What works for me.....

Find the point on your trigger finger that allows for the best "straight back" trigger pull. Use that point of your finger to pull the trigger. For me that is right at the first joint. Find you a place on the wall, like a light switch across the room, aim and pull. (Be sure weapon is unloaded and use snap caps if you choose to do so). Do this over and over until when the hammer falls there is no movement. Then do it some more. It may take a while to achieve this and once you have reached this point go back and do it again every now and then to reinfornce your motor skills.When you are practicing this just do it until you get tired then stop and go back to it another time. For most shooters this is not something that is accomplished in just one session. I have found that a good double action revolver with a smooth trigger is really best for this practice...if you can learn to do this with a double action revolver it actually will be easy with a good semi auto. Good luck, as once you have accomplished this there will be a significant increase in your hitting your POA.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:16 PM   #7
MrBorland

Quote:
All of my groups with my handgun are pulling right of where I am aiming. They are tight so I know its not a flinch...what is a drill to help me correct this?
Maybe the ol' "sight adjustment drill"? Seriously, though, if an instructor felt you were pulling the gun, I assume it's not a simple matter of sight adjustment?

Some good suggestions here. Dry fire is good, so long as you're really looking at the front sight. For that matter, same can...nay...must be said for live fire, or else your dry fire work may be for naught. Trouble with live fire is that there's so much to distract you. My recommendation would be to fire into the berm or a big piece of blank paper so you're not concentrating on making a good shot, but rather on the front sight, and perfect trigger control.

Don't be afraid to experiment with grip and trigger finger placement, either. Could be you've simply got too much finger on the trigger.

Quote:
There's the 'balance' trick, where you balance a coin on the barrel while dry firing to practice...
Yep, it's a good one. Here are my versions ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmy5mkjpUNI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nES4A..._order&list=UL