The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
kraigster414

sizing die leaving scratch marks on brass

I have a Redding sizing die that despite lubing my brass (.357Sig) beforehand - I use Lyman spray lube - is leaving vertical scratch marks on all my brass and nickel cases. Is this common? Does the die need to be polished inside? Am I over-working my brass by continuing to use this die? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Catbird

My RCBS 357Sig die began scratching my cases (like you described) awhile back. In retrospect, I believe I was not using enough case sizing lube. I fixed mine by removing the decapping stem from the die and polishing with a short cleaning rod and a tight-fitting patch saturated with Flitz chucked in my drill. I spent about 10-15 minutes spinning the patch back and forth inside the die. Now that I use more lube (from a pump sprayer), I have not observed any new scratching issues.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old May 21, 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
TimRB

I also have had this same problem, and it turned out to be small bits of brass that were stuck to the die. The solution is to clean/polish the die as Catbird described. I now routinely run a brush through my dies once in a while, and haven't had a recurrence.

Tim
Old May 21, 2007, 08:07 PM   #4
kraigster414

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the only carbide .357Sig sizing die is the Dillon and you still have to lube your cases for best results. I have since taken the die apart and polished the inside with 400 wet/dry paper wrapped around a pencil. Then I took a Dremel with felt tip and Flitz applied and finished up the job. It's nice and shiny but haven't tried sizing any cases yet.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/tec...tchedcases.htm
Old May 22, 2007, 08:17 PM   #5
FM12

If you size a lot of nickle cases, the nickle can imbed itself in the die resulting in scratches, also, the accumulatiuon of debris from cases, especially if reloading dirty brass...use a good stiff brush to remove the debris/nickle.

Also, be sure to always dissasemble and clean new or newly obtained dies before you use them to remove any metal debris left over from machining, etc.
Old May 22, 2007, 09:19 PM   #6
BillCA

+1 on the dirty brass.

When using case lubes of any kind, I find it's almost a requirement to clean the brass first. This might be in a tumbler or using a liquid brass cleaner. Powder residue and/or plain ol' earthen dust sticking to the cases can contaminate the dies.

Also, if you use a case-lube pad, clean it or replace it when it starts showing dirty smears and smudges.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:38 AM   #7
kraigster414

Cleaning the brass in a tumbler is not entirely the solution though certainly you should do. Problem solved by scrubbing out the interior of the sizing die with Hoppes #9, 400 grit wet/dry paper wrapped around a pencil going back and forth a dozen or so times, followed by a Dremmel, felt tip, and Flitz polish. Interior die is now mirror bright. I just loaded 50 rounds of .357Sig with no signs of scratching. The secret here is polish and keep your die clean, that and pre-lube your brass if you are not using a carbide die. I now plan to clean my sizing die with Hoppes after every 100 rounds or so. Polishing/solvent I think is the key.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:32 AM   #8
TimRB

"I have since taken the die apart and polished the inside with 400 wet/dry paper wrapped around a pencil."

400 grit sandpaper sounds too aggressive to me. I would start out with a bore brush and bore cleaner, especially a cleaner that is designed to remove copper fouling. Depending on the die, you might have to use a shotgun or large pistol brush. If that didn't do the job, I would use polishing compound along with a cleaning swab powered by a drill.

Tim
Old May 23, 2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Dave P

I polish my dies every so often also. But I am not convinced I really need to - scratches are just cosmetic.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:11 AM   #10
kraigster414

400 grit wet/dry paper is what was recommended to me by Redding. However, they added the caveat that you don't want to over-polish as the rough services inside the die also serve to hold the lube - a good thing

And yes, scratches are just cosmetic but I don't like them.
Old May 24, 2007, 08:12 AM   #11
Mach II Sailor

most scratches on brass is caused by some tiny bit of brass adhereing to the die, it can easily be removed by a cleaning with "Sweets 7.62", the main thing is proper cleaning and lubrication of the brass, i have a great home made lube recipie, i'll post it separately.
Old May 28, 2007, 07:12 AM   #12
Lifttech

I've had the same problem, dirty dies. Like the others a good cleaning took care of it. I have not had to use sandpaper to fix any yet.

BTW, Imperial Sizing Wax is THE BEST sizing lube I have ever used, period. Goes on easy (just a dab will do ya), sizes like butta and comes right off. Many of the others are like Gorilla snot compared to this stuff. No need to tumble your brass again to get it off and doesn't leave gummy residue in your dies. That's been my experience.

Last edited by Lifttech; May 28, 2007 at 11:30 AM.