The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 24, 2013, 10:07 PM   #26
timn8er

I keep an exact count of the number of rounds I put through each of my pistols. When I get a new gun, I open a new sub folder in a main folder & detail round count, magazine count, when & where it was fired, & when I cleaned it afterwards. Since four of my guns were LEO trade ins, I don't really know how many rounds through them they may have. I still track them anyway so at least I'll know how many I've put through them. I also track when I change recoil springs, sights, & any accessories.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:10 PM   #27
Cheapshooter

I don't keep an exact round by round count, but rather have a very good idea by how many boxes of ammo I shoot through any particular firearm, and how many rounds per box.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 24, 2013, 10:11 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

The easiest way I've seen to keep track is to tear off the endflap of each box of ammo. They don't take up much space and they let you know not only how much you've shot but also what kind of ammunition. That works well if you have just a few guns.

If you have a number of firearms, you can do something along the lines that I do. I have a spreadsheet that I use to keep round counts for each gun as well as rounds fired since last cleaning for the guns that don't get cleaned after every single range trip. I also use it to record ammunition that shoots well in a particular firearm and accuracy results. In addition, it's a good way to track modifications/maintenance done on each firearm.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:41 PM   #29
Pathfinder45

Pounds, not rounds.

I used to keep track of how many pounds of powder I burnt though my Vaquero 45. I gave that up when there were more than I could remember. Those who love countin' beans should be accountants.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:17 AM   #30
pilot141

Quote:
I don't keep an exact round by round count, but rather have a very good idea by how many boxes of ammo I shoot through any particular firearm, and how many rounds per box.
THIS.

Much like when I was stumbling around the world in the old C-141. You counted the beers in the cooler before you went to the hotel, and then counted the ones left the next day. The difference was what you drank.

Same thing with the rounds. At some point you say "Huh, I've done a thousand [beers] rounds."
Old March 25, 2013, 06:54 AM   #31
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If it works, here's what my spreadsheet looks like:

Old March 25, 2013, 07:32 AM   #32
spaniel

I track round through my 300WM because it is a certainty that at some point I will shoot the barrel out and by keeping a round count I'll know when it would be a good idea to get a new one on order.

Other than that, too much work.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:30 PM   #33
Texshooter

Not that mine is the only way,

but I keep a round count by tearing off a part of the ammo box that might have any stamped info (or at least the basic ammo info) on it, write the date on it when it was shot and just keep it in a file.

Just me.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:23 PM   #34
beex215

p95- 5058 rounds
m&p40- 1261 rounds
mav308- 925 rounds
320pump- 233 rounds
ar15- 217 rounds 201 lr

estimated

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old March 25, 2013, 02:59 PM   #35
-Xero-

I keep track of the brass being reloaded for the bench-rest rifle. In lots, matching head stamps, number of times it's been loaded. case trim, etc.

I bought new brass for the 44 mag, but am still shooting the original 100 cases I purchased probably 20 yrs. ago. I don't burn through a lot of 44 mag. 38 Spl is a different story.

Ahhhhhhhh, but all this is reload data, not gun data.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Red Dog

I keep a track of mine. I think of it like miles on my car. Just a measurement of usage.
Old March 25, 2013, 03:43 PM   #37
Wyoredman

I have a hard enough time remembering to bring ammo along when shooting, much less remebering to count how many times I puled the trigger!

I can't even remeber which gun I shot last weekend, which rifle I cleaned last, which pistol was taken out of the safe last!

I think I am doing well in remembering to look for my brass in the weeds!

No, I don't keep track of the number of rounds fired in my guns!
Old March 26, 2013, 10:36 AM   #38
southjk

Did someone find a phone app for tracking counts?
Old March 26, 2013, 04:27 PM   #39
kathys

There are several apps in the iPhone app store if you search under range log.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:05 PM   #40
Sheriff Gotcha

I keep a ballpark estimate on how many rounds I put through each gun.

The only one I keep an exact count of is the gun I plan on carrying to keep track of failures and the potential "break in" period.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:24 PM   #41
9mm

Always keep a round count. Just count the boxs you shoot through it, and I keep my serial numbers listed it on also.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:22 PM   #42
bluetopper

No I don't and life is too short for such foolishness.

I enjoy my firearms immensely and shoot them a lot and try to baby them and keep them in as good a condition as I can.

I can see keeping a round count of how many times rifle brass has been reloaded to keep replacements ready, but firearms themselves........hell no.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:44 PM   #43
BuckRub

I don't know why- you just shoot them until you know accuracy is failing and nothing will help. Then you rebarrel or sell it.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:38 AM   #44
RUT

Sorry, I can't be bothered.
Old March 27, 2013, 03:02 PM   #45
coonbait

have a ruger mkii that i bough new in 1984 put 2500 rounds through it in the first 6 month's and then i lost count. it still shoots just as good now as it did when it was new the only problem is, now i can't....
Old March 27, 2013, 04:32 PM   #46
Gaerek

I keep an exact round count of all my guns. I have no real good logical reason to, except that I'm OCD about it and for my own personal curiosity. Do you need to? No. But for me, I like numbers, and I like to see how long things last. If I were to ballpark it, I would probably be off by quite a bit. It also helps me to keep track of failures and malfunctions. It can help me see if something is a pattern, or if it's just a one off problem.

As for it being foolishness, I think that's a pretty arrogant platform to stand on. Many things that people do every day are foolishness. Keeping a round count takes literally 20 seconds per gun each time I go out. To say there's not enough time for "such foolishness" is just, well, foolish. If you can't spare 20 seconds (or even a minute or two) then I pity you. I'm not saying you have to keep track, but it's certainly not a burden of time, and most definitely not foolish.
Old March 27, 2013, 04:45 PM   #47
Bob Wright

I keep, and have kept, a record of each round fired in all of my handguns. I started this around 1958 or so when I was in the Army. I was the company armorer and we kept a log book on our 106mm recoiless rifles. Seemed like a good idea and I started one for my Ruger Blackhawk. I labeled my ammo boxes with loading data, and when I returned from the range logged this in by counting the empty cases. I then marked the number of rounds remaining on the box label.

I found it interesting that folks who kept a "ballpark" count, and didn't shoot as much as I did, actually had higher round counts in their guns. But, when a gun did malfunction, and they all will sooner or later, I knew how many rounds had been fired up to the break-down.

What started as a matter-of-interest thing became serious years ago when I wrote a gun column for the old Tennessee Sportsman magazine as oftern the question came up about how many rounds could one expect from a new gun or something like that.

Bob Wright
Old March 27, 2013, 08:58 PM   #48
L_Killkenny

I have very very rough ballparks with my .22's and don't count centerfires either. But I do keep notes on every reload I do and considering I pretty much never shoot anything but handloads I can almost tell you to the exact number I've put thru my centerfires.

Things might get mucked up if I had multiple guns for each cartridge but I don't and won't.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:18 PM   #49
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But, when a gun did malfunction, and they all will sooner or later, I knew how many rounds had been fired up to the break-down.
This is excellent information to have, especially for a self-defense gun. It can help determine a good replacement interval for various parts to insure that normal wear parts are replaced before they actually break and disable the firearm.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:43 PM   #50
Dragline45

I keep a rough estimate so I know when it's about time to swap out springs. I replace them sooner than needed more often than not but they are cheap enough where it just makes sense. Plus I just save the old springs as backups as they are still good most of the time.
Closed Thread