The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 8, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
ShipWreck

Check out my new M&P AR22!

This came in at the store a couple days ago - went and got it picked up today. Changed out the A2 grip, as I hate that finger groove. Also, picked up the Magpul forward grip.

I bought some cheap Chinese rail covers on Amazon for like $5 for four pieces. Since the M&P quadrail is polymer, it's perfect. Not gonna pay almost $50 for four of the real Ergo ones.

As for the EOtech - I had this left over from the PS90 I recently sold. I went with a different optic on the AUG that replaced it. So, I figured I'd put it here. I know - overkill, since the optic is worth more than the gun. But cool, none-the-less. Pretty awesome for a 22, IMHO.

Old June 8, 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
arizona98tj

They call it a M&P 15-22. They are nice rifles and lots of fun to shoot as long as you don't have to stand in line to get your 100 count box of 22LR at the local LGS.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:46 PM   #3
CharlieDeltaJuliet

They are good, accurate, reliable rifles. Enjoy it.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 8, 2013, 08:48 PM   #4
ShipWreck

I'm hoping to go try it out tomorrow
Old June 9, 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
ShipWreck

Well, I just got back from the range. Gun ran 100%!

I only put 100 rounds of minimags thru it, as I don't wanna use up all my 22 ammo in one trip. (I shot one of my Berettas first)

I will say this - I have had zero interest in 22s before. I did not grow up with a parent teaching me. So, I never had much exposure to a 22. And, while I have a buckmark, it really bores me. I haven't shot it in like 4 years - and I've only saved it to help teach my son.

This is my first 22 rifle. And, wow, I am hooked. This thing is a lot of fun. Also being that it looks like an AR, I think that makes it even more fun for me. Plus, the EOtech cranks up my enjoyment level of the gun too.

I am very happy I bought it. I've flipped back and forth on selling the EOtech and buying a 2nd Mepro reflex sight with the triangle - like I have on my Steyr AUG. Just for consistency... But my son likes the EOtech more. And for a kid, I think it will be easier for him to aim, over using a triangle point. So, I'll probably keep it.

I had used a laser bore sighter before I left, so I was almost on target to begin with. Was very fast to zero the optic
Old June 9, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Trust me, .22's are awesome fun. Saturday, I ran about 400 rounds through my CMMG AR in .22. It was a blast.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying that S&W. they really are good rifles.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 9, 2013, 09:06 PM   #7
TMD

I bought one of these for my wife about 4 years ago. Its had over 10k rounds put through it without a hiccup.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Marquezj16

Congrats Shipwreck. Nice pick up. It's always awesome to have that father and son time at the range.
Old June 24, 2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Ibmikey

I have a 15-22 that is absolutely the most fun rifle I have owned, my problem is checking my desire to add goodies and sights or change every day since it is so versitle. I store it in a rack with a bunch of AR's and it looks just like the big brothers and with about 20,000 rounds of ammo in cans the M&P 15-22 is shot a whole lot more. One word describes this rifle......FUN!