The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Bullet puller and live primer

I have some rounds that need to be re-worked for one reason or another. I think most of them have a problem with the OAL. All of them have a live primer. Is it safe to use a bullet puller/hammer to break them down if they have a live primer.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Jim Watson

It has worked for me for the past good number of years.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

That is what they are made for. Once pulled I normally reuse the case with the good primer and load it back up. If the bullet looks undamaged I use that too.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:22 PM   #4
res45

Never had a problem breaking ammo down that way.
Old December 27, 2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

Just use the right tools

I read on another thread where someone used an inertial bullet puller and set off the primer (and the powder in the round and scaring the "pants" off the user).

The cause was using a regular shell holder in the bullet puller instead of the three-part holder with the O-ring.

As the narrative goes, the bullet got off-center (not possible with the O-ring collet) and the primer took an impact and ignited.

Note that a cartridge igniting when not contained within a chamber is much less dangerous than one inside a firearm, but is still capable of injury because of flame and ripped-up brass and pieces of plastic bullet puller flying around. The actual bullet, being relatively heavy, does not usually go very far or very fast.

Personally, I feel there is a detail missing from the narrative, but if my O-ring ever breaks (the reason the user switched to a shell holder in the first place), I will replace it at my local hardware store for 25 cents before chancing an unintended ignition.

In short, mpact (inertial) bullet pullers are very safe. But wear eye protection nonetheless.

Lost Sheep