The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 14, 2001, 11:21 AM   #1
swatman

Just picked up a Charter arms AR-7 with two hi capacity Ram Line mags and one factory Mag. I think this is one of the cooler models since the stick is plastic and has two seperate slots, one that fits the barrel and one for the reciever built right into the stoch so you can take of the butt pad and insert both into the stock for storage.
Got the whole setup and the hi cap mags for 75 bucks.
I will let you know how it shoots I plan on shooting it today.

www.humanityonhold.com/intifada.html
Old April 14, 2001, 11:56 AM   #2
Jamie Young

What is an AR-7 ?
Old April 14, 2001, 01:12 PM   #3
swatman

an AR-7 is a survivalist rifle in .22 lr. It is a semi auto that has an unscrewable barrel and a reciever that can be easily remioved and it breaks down into 3 pieces and can be carried in a backpack for hiking trips, fishing or whatever.

Old April 14, 2001, 01:55 PM   #4
Jamie Young

WOW thats actually pretty cool sounding. How many rounds do the mags hold?
Old April 14, 2001, 04:45 PM   #5
Bulldog

http://www.ar-7.com/

http://www.henryrepeating.com/survival.html
Old April 14, 2001, 05:22 PM   #6
Blue Duck357

Had a cousin with one years ago that had an "annoying" habit of going full auto , alas he got it fixed as he should have. Fun gun to shoot, I liked the sights and break down capability a lot. Accuracy on the specimen I shot was nothing to write home about, but I think we were just shooting one load in it so maybe some experimentation was in order. You got a good buy, enjoy it.

Regards,Blue Duck
Old April 15, 2001, 10:26 AM   #7
swatman

Well, shot it yesterday. It was pretty cool. The ram line clips hold 30 rounds and the factory mags hold 8. I like the way it shoots when you are firing rapidly, although one thing I found annoying was the rear peep site, it has a piece of flimsy metal behind it with a pin-sized whole too see through, I plan on enlarging it to make it easier to to see.
Overal it makes for a good backpacking emrgency rifle or a good, inexpensive plinker. I was surprised that it was actually pretty accurate. Nothing to write home about, but not too bad either.
One of the perks about buying this one was that it came with the hi cap mags which are pretty hard to find at least for me anyway.

Old April 16, 2001, 01:35 AM   #8
jimc

i put a tasco pdp111 (1" tubed red dot) on an early ar-7. between the retractable stock, 30rd mag and red dot it looks like a gun that napolean solo used on the man from U.N.C.L.E. tv series.
interesting little toys. i have a few of them.
definetly give the red dot a try.
Old April 17, 2001, 01:31 AM   #9
taprackbang

the mags made that a super deal.

I sold a couple of those mags last year for $75 each (NIW)
Old April 21, 2001, 09:08 AM   #10
swatman

Yeah the idea of getting those two mags with it made me happy too. I have never really ever seen them although I havent really been looking either but I had yet to run across any of the ram line mags even at gun shows.

Old April 21, 2001, 09:52 PM   #11
dZ

seen the tactical version?

http://www.ar-7.com/rifles/rifles.html
Old April 22, 2001, 08:34 AM   #12
jimc

yes i have one that looks like that, only the rear stock is collaspable. also i own a very early one. that one has a wire retractable stock as well as barrel has flash hider as part of the barrel.
Old April 22, 2001, 08:03 PM   #13
Jeff Thomas

Hmmm ... I always thought I'd buy a Springfield Amory M6 (see http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...m6rifles.shtml ) Scout for such duty, but the AR-7 looks much more compact.

Any ideas on:

1. Of the two AR-7's, is the Henry the best?

2. How does the AR-7 compare to the M6 Scout? Which do you prefer, and why?

3. Any other 'survival' rifles out there?

Thanks for the interesting thread. Regards from AZ
Old April 27, 2001, 08:04 PM   #14
Jeff Thomas

BTT

I'm really curious about these rifles. Any other folks with opinions / info on these handly truck / survival guns?

Thanks. Regards from AZ
Old April 27, 2001, 11:53 PM   #15
swatman

What is a "flip clip"?
it goes with that AR-20. Not sure what it is.

Old April 28, 2001, 05:08 PM   #16
Kentucky Rifle

I have a Marlin "Papoose"

Basically an AR-7, only with a stainless barrel and stainless other goodies. Black synthetic stock. Fits nicely in a cordura nylon pouch that floats. 3.5 pounds. The mags are chrome. Fits right behind the seats of my truck or even in the trunk of my Honda Pacific Coast. Lots of smiles. Pull over, screw the barrel on, load the mags with Stingers, and spend some quality time with your rifle for less than $5.00. (And that's if you shoot 100 rounds!)

Kentucky Rifle
Old April 29, 2001, 01:07 AM   #17
Jeff Thomas

Thanks, Kentucky Rifle. I noted that 'Boston's Gun Bible' also speaks highly of the Papoose.

Regards from AZ
Old April 29, 2001, 02:01 AM   #18
Pvt. Joker

Papoose

Whats a Papoose go for?

-Jared
Old April 29, 2001, 10:36 AM   #19
Jeff Thomas

My gun store said $210. The going price on the auction sites seems to be $175 to $200, so considering FFL fees, it looks like you might as well special order it from your favorite FFL.

I've been thinking about a rifle for the truck, and the Papoose looks like a good option. Frankly, some folks are saying it is of higher quality than the alternatives.

Apparently it needs optics. Kentucky Rifle, will you be mounting a scope on yours? Picked a model yet? I wonder how much room is in that storage bag ... will the bag accomodate the rifle as well as a mounted scope?

Regards from AZ
Old April 29, 2001, 10:52 AM   #20
Kharn

The flip clip is two magazines attached at or near the baseplates, with the feed lips facing away from each other. So, you shoot one mag empty, remove, flip and reinsert and you have another 8 shots. Of course, they make blocks of 3 or 4 magazines stuck together like flip clips for the AR7, and someone on here or Ar15.com saw a guy on TV in South Africa with 8 FnFal magazines duct-taped into a giant flip clip stuck in his Fal.

Kharn
Old April 29, 2001, 11:14 AM   #21
Kentucky Rifle

I bought a "Red Dot"...

..but I didn't mount it. The Papoose has pretty good sights as it is. Lotta fun! When we go to the outdoor range, the first thing my wife picks up is the Papoose. She loves it. You should hear those Stingers go out. Sounds like bumble bees.
When I was looking for a rifle of this type (small, fun, easy to carry), my gunshop
recommended the Papoose above all others. Those Henrys fold up and everything fits in the stock, that's kinda neat but I liked the Papoose the best. Typical Marlin quality. Plenty of room in the nylon bag for a scope. The nylon carry-bag is thick, like a knife sheath, and there must be SOMETHING between the layers to make it float! It's probably about an eigth of an inch thick and closes with a zipper. The papoose is held in place inside the "pouch" with velcro straps. The barrel slides into a soft nylon tube. 3.5 lbs for everything. It's what I take camping, and I'm an old far...well, you know. All you have to do is take it out of it's pouch, screw on the barrel, pop in a mag, and you're in business! With the others, the action comes off too. I didn't like that. Too many parts that come off make for an inaccurate rifle.

Kentucky Rifle
Old April 29, 2001, 11:18 AM   #22
Jeff Thomas

Thanks, KR. Glad you enjoy your rifle, and I appreciate your comments.

Regards from AZ