The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 23, 2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Prof Young

Of deer and human urine.

Hunters:

Looking at some other posts here reminded me of an incident and a question. Couple years back the biggest buck I've ever seen stealth walked under my stand right into the spot where I had urinated only ten minutes or so before. We locked eyes and he was gone. But I think he came in to the smell of my urine, which goes against everything I've read about keeping ones scent down etc.

What think you?

Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old June 23, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
rdmallory

I have killed many deer out of a tree deer stand I have whizzed out of. I do try to do number 2 away from the stand. Don't want to step in it at 5:30 in the morning.

Doug
Old June 23, 2011, 09:12 PM   #3
oldsodbuster

pee

Don't beleive everything you read or hear about and that means this too. Life is the best teacher. Deer like people come in all different shapes and sizes like people. Some are bothered by somethings some aren't. 52 years of deer hunting I've seen it all. I saw just as many deer when I used to smoke cigars in the woods in ground blinds as I did when I quit smoking. Deer are just as nosey as people too. You can walk up on some deer laying down and if you don't spook it too bad it will come back to see what you are doing, somethings. The thing that really sends them to the next town mostly is your movement. Or if they see you and they are already skiddish it bye bye. I have had deer come as close to my ground stand as five feet and bed down to sleep. As long as the wind was right and I made no movement or noise we could both take a nap till the deer I wanted came by. Just like all dogs are different so are deer. But it is best to carry a wide mouth soda bottle for your pee and dump it far from you stand to put the odds more in your favor. And a ( BLACK )plastic trash makes a nice toilet for the big stuff. Carry it out of the wood please. Good hunting.
Old June 23, 2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Gbro

Think of it this way, unless you leave your stand and go back to the shack and use the facilities you are going to leave sent someplace. It's better to observe how all animals react than to deposit your wast out of sight.
And if you don't carry it out at least roll a rock over your waste. A trench in the area you hunt and shared by the group is good planning also.
There is no dought that stealth will at some point pay off, especially for the trophy hunter.
Old June 23, 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
mquail

I know two guys who bowhunt the same property. Both are in competition with each other. Sometimes the competition tends to get a little nasty. One of the two was bragging he pee'd all over where the other has his stand and guaranteed everyone the only deer he'd shoot would have to have a head cold. Guess who shot the biggest buck that season? It wasn't the pee'er, it was the pee'ee.
Old June 23, 2011, 11:45 PM   #6
fatwhiteboy

So what should I do with all these Gatorade bottles?
Old June 23, 2011, 11:58 PM   #7
Duckkkkk

Maybe 15 years a go on Michigan Public TV there was a show Michigan Outdoors.The host who's now dead, did an expose on the Buck Snort deer attractant company.

Basicaly they sold deer pee, claiming it was from the doe's hottest 5 hours of the mating cycle. Well he researched and they had like 10 deer registered with the state of Michigan. Yet were pumping out 1000's of bottles of hot prime pee.

So in his testing he ate a monster steak dinner the night before, and took a monster leak into a bottle, and spread it around the next morning along with Buck Snorts product. There was zero difference in attracting deer and the human pee didn't spook deer in the least.

In the end Buck Snort sued Fred Trost and ruined him. He lost everything including the show for a while and in his 50's became a lawyer.
Old June 24, 2011, 12:22 AM   #8
40caljustice

I've watched my dad shoot a deer while gutting another one. I have also seen alot, alot of deer while smoking a cigarette. Granted I was in a tree stand a hundred or so yards away. I've seen them while eating lunch at the truck and cooking at camp. My grandpa chews Levi Garrett chewing tobacco. He said that's better then corn for baiting. I've never seen deer hang around my urine. I've always been weary about leaking out the stands because dad and pops used them too. If I didn't come back with a pee pee bottle I was catching an ear full.
Old June 24, 2011, 06:59 AM   #9
Gunplummer

Timing is everything. A deer will blow off a lot things before the shooting starts. Once they know hunting has started it is a different story.
Old June 24, 2011, 07:49 AM   #10
PawPaw

I hunt in an active oil field and the deer are used to human activity. Pickup trucks and humans don't seem to bother them much. It's what the deer are used to seeing. Not a lot of activity, but enough that they know humans exist. I suspect that with the suburbanization of our deer populations, the whitetail deer is a lot more cognizant of human activity than they were just twenty years ago.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 24, 2011, 08:56 AM   #11
BIG P

Been Deer hunting a long time,The things we know to be true are often over thought out.IMO deer aint all that smart but they are careful as hell after they get shot at a time or two,Pee is pee & curiousity killed the cat. RELAX Deer hunting is fun.
Old June 25, 2011, 06:42 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

I ground hunt, but I'll walk about 10 feet away from my spot and let it fly. I'm not a big believer that deer are smart enough or cautious enough to associate my urine with danger.
Old June 25, 2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Hog Hunter

I chew grizzly wintergreen while I hunt. Two yeas ago I got the last dip out of my can while bow hunting. I thought to myself wonder if the smell of the empty can wil attract a deer. So I trhowed the can about 10 yards infront of me. About an hour later a doe and two fawns came in directly down wind of the empty can of tobacco. Had backstraps on the grill that night in camp.

Ive seen my dad use stuff that smells just like a cologone called blue moon I think. Stuff reeks of perfume but he has killed deer that came directly to it. never had any luck with mature deer come to that kinda stuff though.
Old June 25, 2011, 08:17 AM   #14
Rifleman1776

I have a friend in his 70s who has filled his tags (and more) since childhood. He is not a smoker but always smokes cigars while on stand.
I eat apples while on stand. Cuts down on the pee-pee factor and, I theorize, the aroma helps bring the deer in.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #15
buck460XVR

The body scent trail you leave to go pee away from your stand will scare more deer than peeing on your shoes while still on stand. Years ago I used to pee in active buck scrapes thinking it would make them avoid an area that didn't have a good spot to place a stand. All it did was **** them off(sorry about the pun) and make them stick around and defend the area. Deer deal with urine smells on a daily bases and don't readily identify the smell of urine with danger. Urine tells them where something was once, not necessarily where that something is now.
Old June 25, 2011, 11:26 AM   #16
columbia_shotguneer

Quote:
So what should I do with all these Gatorade bottles?
The best buck lure is take an emptied 2 liter pop bottle wiz in it over a week, screwing the top on afterwards. Pop the top a week later and watch them pile in!
Old June 25, 2011, 04:05 PM   #17
sc928porsche

I have found deer to be quite curious although very cautious. I have seen them follow hunters (at a descrete distance) quite a few times. I have had them in camp with the campfire going. I have even seen them trail along behind a pick up with hunters in it in the middle of deer season. Many times I have left my vehicle to go out on a morning or evening hunt only to return to find fresh tracks all around the vehicle. For the most part I try to remain quiet, as much out of sight as possible, and downwind. Perhaps that is why I dont hunt from trees, use scent blockers, use bait or attractants. Besides, I do have the advantage, I have a firearm.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:46 PM   #18
Prof Young

Deer and vehicles

Porsche:
I've had the experience too. Twice I've been walking out of the woods and found deer hanging out with my truck. Once was a huge buck but he was too far and it was bow season.

Live well and be safe.
Prof Young
Old June 25, 2011, 09:55 PM   #19
egor20

I've had them look at us from a distance on my homemade range, it almost like their taking notes amongst themselves;

Ok the guy with the limp, we stay away from: Check

The blond with the accent only shoots birds: Check

I need to find the secretary deer, and whack'em, just for the notes.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 26, 2011, 07:24 AM   #20
hooligan1

DON'T pee out of your stand!!! If anything trek to the next hunters stand and whizz all over it..... But never your own. Killing big deer is a different animal entirely. And whizzing out of your stand ONLY gives the buck one more reason to detour your area. If and when I have to go,(and since i'm older it seems to be more frequent)I usually get up and split, maybe head to another vantage. The only time when I stay put is when we hunt the open pasture,,, and then we face the wind and sometimes get lucky enough to harvest deer,,, but it's never ususally a big deer. Oh and by the way, hunting is supposed to fun so don't sweat it and have some fun...(whizzing on the next fellows vacant stand)
Old June 26, 2011, 12:24 PM   #21
columbia_shotguneer

Take a siphon hose, cap one end and bury the other end 2 ft down in a 3 ft hole. Problem solved! oh check the level of liquid and solid waste for plugging
Old June 27, 2011, 07:22 PM   #22
langenc

Regarding smoking while hunting:

I recall about 25 yrs ago for several nights I left work, already in hunting clothing, and by the 3rd night had a tree all picked out to set under. On the 4th eve I rushed and walked directly to the tree, 1/4 mi from the car. I sat down and after a few minutes started to look around. About that time I noticed a smell-tobacco. I looked in the direction the wind was coming from and about 60 yards there sat another hunter, smoking.

We didnt see any deer that eve either and on the way out I apologized to the other guy for plopping in front of him. I explained that I had set at that tree every night that week. He was understanding. I told him about the tobacco. He shrugged his shoulders. I wonder how far a deer could smell it. Would it bother a deer?? Ill never know.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:55 PM   #23
warbirdlover

I don't worry about the pee. I read an article where some famous hunter made artificial scrapes by digging up the dirt and peeing in it. The poop however will send keep them far away. Doing things this way I've been pretty successful over the years.

Found this article

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...kScrapes.shtml
Old June 28, 2011, 12:46 PM   #24
cnimrod

yup Warbird

tried it and it works- have found tracks several times in mock scrapes with my own urine in them.