The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2011, 11:40 AM   #76
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
You don't sight a shotgun otherwise.
You might not but I do... For a few circumstances.
Quote:
I'd be inclined to take frugal shotgunner's with a grain of salt. Too much read theory and not enough real life practice. Personally, the only time I mount the gun is on target aquisition, then its point fire and pick up the dead shtuff.
While I may be frugal now, there was a time when I could honestly tell the walmart store that I wanted to buy all of the ammo in what ever caliber/gauge fit the latest new purchase...

And this practice took place ONCE PER WEEK!!!! 4 times per month unless there were 5 thursdays at which time it was 5 new purchases per month... AT LEAST!

Was fun to fill a buggy with a shopping cart of 12 gauge to go along with my new walmart purchased Mossberg 500 Bullpup!

And i would be low on ammo by sunday night as I threw shooting days every weekend possible for my "Club Brothers" and I bought the ammo used in my guns.

As for practice... you really are barkin' up a slick tree. Granted, I do not practice or fun shoot like I once did but it isn't just about the money... I am at a point in my life where 5 rounds pre huntin' season is all I need to shake the rust off myself.

During the year, I am a one shot killer of squirrels for Jr.'s pet snake which can easily handle 2 per week. As well, I am equally lethal on feral cats and other uninvited trespassing species. Why spend $.50 on 2 rounds when .25 for one can get the job done EVERYTIME?

Brent
Old June 14, 2011, 11:47 AM   #77
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445654
And every once in a while even this blind squirrel does follow through/swing through shooting and manage to pull off a kill...
If you can't handle seein' a dead cat, do not open the link.

Brent
Old June 14, 2011, 02:07 PM   #78
Saltydog235

Where's the golf clap smiley? We need one for the pat's oneself on the back too.

Congrats on killing a kitty cat and buying out Wal-Mart every week. Sounds like they would have started to anticipate your purchases and stocked more or did you just buy that up too? Never met anyone that hit everything they shot at, must be a helluva feeling to be that good. I bet you got stickers on your gun barrels too. You drink Do Equis too?

FOS
Old June 14, 2011, 02:40 PM   #79
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

That would be Dos Equis. And no I do not...

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; June 14, 2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: PM more the place for this...
Old June 14, 2011, 03:04 PM   #80
Saltydog235

No barrell stickers? Dern I was sure there would be a "Meat Stick" or at least a "***** Kwiller" one. Did you lug a ruck filled with bricks 10 miles up hill in that "hunert degree 90% humidity" first?

I use to shoot flies with my Red Ryder. Had a sadistic cousin shove a bottle rocket up a cats arse too. That was a sad sound. He'd of come running to help with your cat problem. Sort of the Hanibal Lecter of Felines.
Old June 14, 2011, 08:03 PM   #81
Gehrhard

I shoot Trap competitively. Including Winter. I can't even tell you about a sight picture anymore.

There are different styles, but, I significantly swing through the target if it is a hard left or right. I'm sure I look as insane as my challengers who do the same. Aim? Um, not really. I just think "fwap," paint the teeny weeny little target like Budha with a brush, and then the target apparently explodes into dust they tell me. Outta body experience. It is, like, zen man! 100% of the time? Close enough. Ranges? From "pull" (maybe 17 yards) to, oh, I'd say about 80 yards was my longest, inches from the ground.

For me it is essentially (but not completely) impossible to miss. Just to make it more challenging I shoot from an "International" stance for giggles when it doesn't count. But that's with a man's 12 ga. And alot of good practice. #1 Buck would be no different. Deer, bigger, or smaller -- no difference.

Last edited by Gehrhard; June 14, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:17 AM   #82
shortwave

Just a question 'out of the blue'.

Do any of you that never aim a shotgun, turkey hunt?
Old June 16, 2011, 08:26 AM   #83
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Just a question 'out of the blue'.

Do any of you that never aim a shotgun, turkey hunt?
DING DING DING!!!! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Short, I had forgotten all about them guys! Before they were using scopes and red dot optics, they were slinging bird shot with rifle sights, if I remember correct and in this case... I am positive my memory ain't tricking me.

And that 70 yard kill wasn't no point shooting...

Brent
Old June 16, 2011, 11:17 AM   #84
mavracer

Quote:
But that's with a man's 12 ga.
REALLY what a stud, bet your a hit with the ladies too.

but "THE MAN" breaks 100 strait with the 410.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 16, 2011, 12:07 PM   #85
shortwave

Quote:
I don't know which was more odd: posting or admitting your a 20ga. shooter
Quote:
But thats with a man's 12 ga
I know this is the internet, but you really do need to start having some respect and engaging your brain before you type. Your little rude, not so cute comments are un-called for and not welcomed here by most. Many here like a 20ga. Especially for HD.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:50 PM   #86
Gehrhard

Calm down Short -- don't get a complex.

It is obvious when we are talking 12 ga. and that's not a 20 ga. And to discuss 12 ga. when you haven't owned one or even shot a 20 ga. for a decade is just strange to me. But I've accepted it.

.410 -- 100 straight in Trap? I'm sure I couldn't do it. But I'm also not RESPONDING to people about going out with the ladies for an afternoon of skeet as I don't do that. But I'd use 2-3/4" 00 Buck if I did -- practice is the most important thing to do and that's the best shell. They have valu-packs of it at WalMart as proof because it is the most popular!

Turkey? No-one here is putting 00 Buck thru a Super-Extra-Full choke for long distance aimed turkey or coyote. NOW what's the point? That you CAN aim a shotgun with sights on it? OMG Like we never had slugs barrels before either. Hey, you can shoot a rifle at a moving target too! Lotta newbies...
Old June 16, 2011, 08:22 PM   #87
shortwave

Hey gehr,

I know they have better schools in Mississippi than what your inteligence is showing. Boy, you on some kinda drugs or something.

Quote:
Turkey! No one here is putting 00Buck thru a Super-Extra-Full choke for long distance on turkey or coyote. Now whats the point
The conversation going on prior to me asking " if those that never aim a shotgun, turkey hunt?", was the fact that people,including you, were insinuating a shotgun is NEVER aimed.

Prior to me asking that question, you blessed us with your vast knowledge and prowess of how great a Trap shooter you are and gave us your wonderful 'swing' through technique talking about Zen man and how great you are shooting a 'man's' macho 12ga. Talking to people here like your the guru of the shotgun.

News flash, 'Bigtime', there are a few times when it calls for a shotgun shooting shot to be aimed.

I've come to the conclusion that your full of BS , don't know squat and would dearly love to get you on a trap/skeet course(your pick) with about a $500 bet or so.

By the way, you've spelled Mississippi wrong in your location.

P.S. I am calm.

Tags
federal , shotgun