The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 9, 2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Anthony2

Coyote Trolling part 2

Coyote trolling is a very real problem...more so than I thought....

It was 2 days ago when I read an article about dogs being killed in NYC. From the clipping I was given, a coyote made it's home in the secluded portion of Central Park. While there it proceeded to kill two dogs, and chase many more.

In the Tawas area I met a man who lived on the lakeshore and had seen coyotes chasing domestic animals and pets onto the ice. They would chase them through backyards until they were finally pushed onto ice, where they were run to death and killed.

Now the hunters in the area will shoot 'yotes on sight, and not think twice about it. Amazingly enough the population keeps growing.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old May 9, 2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Coyotes are among the more efficient survivalists of predators. So, with people providing so much in the way of easy pickings, they're bound to expand their range. Y'know, little yap-dogs, kitty-cats, chickens in the yard, kitchen scraps, etc.

"If you want more of something, subsidize it." That holds for coyotes as well as welfare folks and the homeless...

, Art
Old May 9, 2006, 05:11 PM   #3
John G

Coyotes are extremely adaptable, and their dog-like size makes it easier for them to go unnoticed in populated areas then for larger canids such as wolves. Not to mention, once they inhabit urban or suburban land, it's usually illegal for citizens to shoot them on sight.
Old May 9, 2006, 07:52 PM   #4
swampdog

I started to ask if anyone knew what happened to the nyc coyote. I figured they had come up with an extremely pc solution that was much more expensive than a bullet. I googled it myself and guess what? I was right.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...23_coyote.html

A two day chase involving police and park rangers with helicopter news coverage, no less. The coyote even got a cute nickname, Hal.:barf: I wonder how much NYC spent tracking down this "wily" coyote. None of this suprises me, of course.

Save Hal t-shirts, anyone?

I'd be interested in what plans NYC has for future coyote incursions. I would hope that they include private contractors who will "quietly" take care of the problem, without the media frenzy and the expense of a 2 day chase. I kind of doubt it, though.

NYC residents take note. Your hard earned tax dollars at work.
Old May 9, 2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Jseime

HAHAHAHA If only I could have a heli for shooting coyotes

Ill go to New York and shoot coyotes (If they give me a silencer for the .22 and a place to stay Ill do it free just so that I can get the activists all fired up)

The reason that I shoot coyotes is because we have trouble keeping cats alive around here and I once saw a pack of three chasing my old dog Buddy when he went out of the yard to chase them. Ill shoot them and leave them where they lay.
Old May 9, 2006, 08:17 PM   #6
swampdog

I'd figured on a silenced 10/22 with Aquila 60gr subsonics. You might want a bigger gun, though. If you play a predator call cd at night in Central Park there's no telling what you'll call in.

Anyone have any thoughts on the best breed of dog to troll for coyotes? We might be onto something here. (That's a joke, LC)
Old May 12, 2006, 04:34 PM   #7
banditt007

swamp dog, 'Hal' died like 2 days after they caught him.
Old May 12, 2006, 07:12 PM   #8
swampdog

That's a shame after all the money they spent. It sounds like it might have been kinder to shoot him. Read the necropsy report here.
Old May 12, 2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Csspecs

Heart worm is nasty. He was a dead dog a long time before he kicked off.

And yes it would have been far kinder to just shoot the coyote.
Old May 21, 2006, 07:30 AM   #10
youp

Swamp dog,

There are some folks that train tolling dogs for coyotes. I don't remember the particulars. Look up some Full Cry magazines and I am sure you will find out about it. I recall it as being a western thing where the dog was sent to a coyote to bring it back to the gun.
Old May 29, 2006, 09:26 PM   #11
Anthony2

From what I've heard there are people that train greyhounds and similiar dogs. Apparently certain breeds sort of egg a response out of the 'yotes that get a chase and shoot situation together.

Old September 19, 2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Anthony2

I know it's been along time but the season just reopened in MI so....

I've been bitten by the Yote bug again....mostly because I shot one chasing a doe last night and the season just opened on the 15th....

Anyhow...I heard the strangest thing today...apparently there's a man an hour north of me that trains cocker spaniels to troll for yotes.... I don't know if I could do that...I'd want my dog to have some kind of a fighting chance if cornered. I didn't think the price was too bad though...2 bills and 5-6 weekends and he'll train you and your dog.....

I've only met one guy that has done it, but the pelts show him as being successful...I'm going to look farther into it this weekend. I figure the conversation on the topic alone should be worth the drive...

I'll post Tuesday to let you know how it works and what I learned.

Old September 19, 2007, 04:04 PM   #13
Selfdfenz

I may be wrong but when sight hounds are set on coyotes out west they do all the chasing...and all the terminating as well.

I think the math works something like:
1) multiple coyotes on a solo pet or livestock = dead pet /dead or damaged livestock
2) 2-3 expereinced sight hounds on a solo coyote = dead coyote

My info is very old but at the time it was only legal in certain states. How they train them to do that I have no idea but I understand not every sight hound is cut out for the job.

S-
Old September 20, 2007, 03:16 PM   #14
Anthony2

Yup. I highly doubt just any dog will do....but cocker spaniels? I mean sure they can run pretty fast but aside from that what possible advantage could they possess?