The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2001, 08:09 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Browning Broadway?

One of the Geezer Squad regulars had his out yesterday. I was impressed by the quiet esthetics of this one, and the fact that the owner of same was shooting one heck of a lot better than he does his Model 21s. I doubt it's a Japanese Browning.

Is the Broadway a model, or a nickname?

Thanks...
Old December 1, 2001, 09:41 AM   #2
PJR

Dave:

The Broadway Trap models are Belgian Superposeds made between 1961 and 1975. They were given the designation Broadway due to the 5/8's inch wide vent rib.

They are very fine shotguns and as good as any Superposed ever made.

Paul
Old December 1, 2001, 11:20 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Understated elegance backed up by performance. I hate it when an over n under works better than a 21. Not natural.

Sam
Old December 1, 2001, 01:30 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Paul, thanks. I noted the rib and wondered if it named after that.

Sam, the owner's a nice guy, and hasn't exactly impressed me shooting his 21s. They impressed me, possibly the finest work on a factory gun ever. My guess, they do not quite fit him.

But,I bet for field shooting, the 21s are better.

It's not often that I look a shotgun over and tell the owner not to put it up for sale, because I really don't want taking out a second mortgage, but I might for this one.

BTW, sumptous wood.
Old December 1, 2001, 11:44 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

Early 21 is, to me, the acme of an art form.

So sad when I sold mine. Shoulda sold the wife instead.

Sam
Old December 2, 2001, 09:28 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sam, how about a 16 ga, made in the 50s,IIRC, with straight grip,splinter F/E, two triggers and it's 27" bbls choked CYl/IC? He uses it for skeet, but I can't think of a better quail gun.

Nice guy, nice toys....

Back to the Browning. Any idea how much a trap grade in VG or better condition should run? Thanks...
Old December 2, 2001, 02:01 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

Dave....Trap is a model and made in all grades. Broadway Trap is a subset model and also made in all grades. Broadway made in time period where grades were named instead of numbered, except for @1, and differentiating between grades is a bugger without samples for comparison.

Grade progression is...#1, Pigeon, Pointer, Diana, Midas.

A snake in the works........guns made from 66-72 may have bad corrosion where metal meets wood.

Post war 21 a work of art, early 21 a centerpiece in the art display. Luckily, I can no longer shoot em that well and so only look and drool instead of hockin a grand kid or sumpin.

Sam
Old December 2, 2001, 06:04 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

That's the "Salt Wood" thing I've read about, I guess.

If I ever answer all of Regis's questions, or discover I'm the long lost heir to the Scottish Throne, I'll get a Broadway, right after the Kolar, that 16 ga Fox, and an SP 10....
Old December 3, 2001, 07:26 AM   #9
PJR

Dave, here's the good news

Used Superposeds are one of the better bargains out there and the trap models are among the best. My two year old edition of the Blue Book puts the price of a standard grade Superposed at $1,650 in 100 per cent condition with a notation to subtract 10 to 15 per cent for the trap models including the Broadway. Not exactly cheap but a better price than Krieghoffs of the same vintage.

Not sure what prices are in your area but with trapshooters swapping guns as frequently as they do, these guns come up for sale often at reasonable prices. Last year, one of our local shooters was selling one for $1,100 in excellent condition.

It's not difficult to discern a salt wood gun. Have the stock removed and look inside the receiver. Rusted butt plate screws are another immediate sign although these screws are often replaced. I am somewhat cautious if a standard grade Browning has very nice wood. The original guns I've seen generally had acceptable but not spectacular wood. Browning bent over backward making the salt wood guns right and often restocked with nicer timber than original.
Old December 3, 2001, 12:34 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Paul. I was told a while back to check the bbl metal under the FE also.

I'll keep my eyes open, but Daughter has another year or so in College, then Son starts.So, discretionary income may be a cruel joke here for a while.