The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 19, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1
tomykay12

2nd gen 1860 Colt Army

Hi. I recently came to posess what appears to be a Colt second generation model 1860 army .44 cal, ser #2097xx. Folks on the Colt forum helped with identification. The piece is in nice condition, with a little Florida freckling on the end of the barrel, otherwise as new, given to my father some years ago, and displayed with other treasures. Guessing he never shot it, as there was no evidence of BP supplies amongst the gun stuff. Is this a shooter? I have a Cabelas Pietta 1858 Army gifted to me about 12 years ago, also unfired, and the Colt seems far superior, trigger, finish, etc. Now, with two of these, I'm feeling a little like Yosemite Sam, and need to go shoot something. BP looks like alot of fun; back in the IPSC days, there was a guy at a local match that actually shot BP, and it was always fun watching him swap cylinders, though he never threw them in the dirt, and he never won.... Thanx for input, best, tomas
Old June 19, 2011, 11:23 AM   #2
mykeal

Without actually seeing or handling the gun, yes, its a shooter. They were built for shooting, although many people have kept them unfired as investments due to their quality and Colt provenance. Without the original papers and containers, and because of the 'Florida freckling', its value as an investment is already a bit compromised, however, so shooting it is not going to greatly diminish the value.

Your other option for getting into black powder revolver shooting is to make a $200 investment at one of the mail order sutlers (Cabela's, Dixie Gun Works, Taylor's, S&S Firearms, there are many) and buy a new gun to shoot. In my opinion that $200 price will be more than the damage you will do to the value of the 2nd Gen Colt you have now by shooting it, but others may disagree.

BTW, yes, the Colt 2nd Gen has a higher standard of finish than the Pietta Remington - it cost a lot more.
Old June 19, 2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

TomyKay

You are fortunate indeed. A colt 2nd Gen as a bequest is to be valued. You may want to do with it as your father did and just display it.

I have one with full fluted cylinder and I love it.

I go with Mykeal....

If you are starting out, an 1858 Remington in steel frame is a good starter or if you really want to save some money, get a brass frame.

I was shooting just this morning and each time I go out I am confirmed in the conviction that new shooters should buy Remington because of their "unfinnicky" behavior in comparison with Colts.

Anyway, congrats on your acquisition.
Old June 19, 2011, 01:01 PM   #4
tomykay12

Thanx, and as noted in my post, I already have an 1858 army .44 spaghetti built, older pietta. It is quite rough, especially the action, like something on the hammer is dragging when cocked. I understand the company retooled and the quality is much better now, and am thinking of picking up the shorter barrel model, or maybe a .36 Navy to compliment these two. Really like this Colt though, tk
Old June 29, 2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Hardy

I have a 3rd gen -bought from estate. The gun was in a safe and never removed until a few months ago. It has original uncracked box with all foam paddings/manual and original shipping box w/ plastic wrappings.---PRISTINE 1860 44 Army if interested will sell at below appraised value.

WBH
Old June 30, 2011, 06:42 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

By your description it's a shooter. The 2nd gens well normally have a fit and finish superior to the Italian replicas. With normal care it should last your life time.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Noz

Hopefully Fingers McGee will chime in here.

He can tell you a lot more about your gun than most!
Old June 30, 2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
Hopefully Fingers McGee will chime in here.

He can tell you a lot more about your gun than most!
I can chime in; but I'm at Hell on wheels in Cheyenne right now so info will be sketchy

The Colt F series 1860s were made from 1978 thru 1982. They were assembled from US and Italian parts by Iver Johnson in Middlesex, NJ under the supervision of Colt. Most F series case hardening was done in Hartford. Blueing was using Colt's blue -black proprietary processes. Th F series guns were inspected, marketed, sold, and warranted by Colt.

Your 1860 Army should make a good shooter.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 30, 2011, 06:25 PM   #9
tomykay12

thankyou

Mr Fingers. I am finding out more and more here. best, tk