The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 22, 2007, 07:38 PM   #1
BoneDigger

Squirrel hunting with a pistol?

Anyone here squirrel hunt with a pistol? I just bought a scope for my .22LR Tracker and I'd like to try it on squirrels sometime. Any tips?

Todd
Old June 22, 2007, 08:34 PM   #2
jrothWA

Yes, take your time on the trigger..

in a hurry. Squirrels don't linger, they MOVE!!!
Use a standard velocity round, and use the Weaver stance when possible.
DON't rest sidearm (revolver) against tree, or the ringing won't stop.
Move quietly and slowly, some squirrels will freeze as your move possibly giving you a shot. You stop, they MOVE.
If squirrel flattens on limb and its a small tree (<10" Dia) try a kick on the trunk.
Best hunting for me was overcast day with light drizzle or just afterwards.
Sunny days either crack of dawn or dusk.
Old June 22, 2007, 09:03 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I've done it with a Ruger Convertible Single-Six. It worked great. I waited until the squirrels were on the ground, sat very still and let them get very close.
Old June 22, 2007, 09:53 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Walk slowly, stopping regularly, through the bush watching for very small movements in the trees. Sometimes you'll see a wisp of tail and nothing else.
Finding a den tree or food tree and sitting near, not under it, works too.
Be very careful when shooting up. That wee bullet can go a long way if you miss.
Old June 22, 2007, 10:23 PM   #5
treg

It's some of the most fun there is in the woods. I've hunted them w/ my Buckmark since I got it 19 years ago, usually shooting 50+ per year. I prefer open sights and a good (accurate) standard velocity HP. Test them all to find the one that's best in your gun. When on foot I have the best luck when the leaves are on the trees. Anytime a squirrel is feeding in a tree it's like he's waving a flag for you, approach slowly and they rarely notice. If you sit, or move slowly and quietly through the woods, the leaf cover works to your advantage. Many are shot on the ground. Try to stick to paths where there is no brush or twigs to scrape agianst your clothes. Ditto the caution on those tiny pills going a long ways when you miss.
Old June 22, 2007, 10:31 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I've hunted them with a .22,.38,and a.41. Your quarry will not sit still very long so you have to gauge each possible shot before you shoot. Not a very big target, and they stay alive by being out of the talons and teeth of the animals that dine on them. Take your time, sit vewwy vewwy still, and success will come to you. I shoot 5 reds to every grey, but the stewpot doesn't discriminate. Tasty fare,just be careful not to get hair on the meat. Mepps used to buy the tails for spinner hackle, but unless you have hundreds, there isn't much dinero in it for you. Friends that tie flies would love to have them though. Get a "Mr. Squirrel" call and follow the instructions. When the treerat sits up and scolds you can knock him off his perch, and ALL the locals will scold at you. Funny to use, but it surely works.
Old June 22, 2007, 10:47 PM   #7
DGindlesperger

sounds like fun, hmmmm would the T/C G2 with 410's be fair.
Old June 23, 2007, 12:27 PM   #8
44 Deerslayer

I've hunted squirrels for many years with a K22 that I bought new in 1960. No scope, just open sights. Still hunting works best, sit in a squirrel area very quietly until they start to move. I used to have a Golden retriever that loved to squirrel hunt. I would stand on one side of a tree and the dog would go around to the other side and bark. Usually a squirrel would then run around to my side of the tree where I could get a good shot with the revolver.
Old June 23, 2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Mannlicher

I used to use a Ruger Convertable .22 Mag with a 3X scope on squirrels. Now I take shots as 'targets of opportunity' with my 4 inch S&W Model 63.
I probably kill more with a handgun than with a rifle or shotgun.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 23, 2007, 08:46 PM   #10
nutty ned

Done it and it was satisfying hunting. Use standard/tgt velocity ammo, much less damage to the squirrel. But since you are going to use a revolver I would try cb shorts.
Old June 23, 2007, 09:49 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

You betcha - with my 4410 especially:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...egory=Revolver

Old June 23, 2007, 10:33 PM   #12
Southern_guy

Why use a scope? The dogs will scare the squirrel into movement, which is why I use a .22 Lever action that I can spray and pray with.
Old July 3, 2007, 06:51 PM   #13
T3hK1w1

Tips?

.454 Casull=too big

Seriously though, I've found that if you can't get a good shot at a squirrel, shooting the branch just under it will often knock the squirrel off, and it will be stunned when it hits the ground. Then just collect your squirrel
I believe this is known as "Barking" the squirrel.
Old January 19, 2008, 11:20 PM   #14
shinnery jim

well if you bark a squirrel, and I have, do yourself a favor, when you pick it up cut it`s throat or slam its head into a tree. it aint funny to have a mad squirrel wake up in a bag on your leg.
Old January 20, 2008, 08:58 AM   #15
rem870hunter

i carry an astra cadix model revolver in .22. when i hunt out of state in Virginia. did not have any clear shots at any squirrels but did see atleast a dozen the 4 times i went hunting there. it was loaded with CCI stingers i had those in because i carried the pistol for small furry critters and turkeys. i don't think it would be to wise to shoot a turkey with a marlin in .35 rem. the marlin was for deer and black bear.