The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 24, 2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Beentown71

Competition shooting questions...

I am looking to start IDPA and the like. I used to shoot 3D archery and enjoyed the challenge and comradery and feel that the same could happen at these type of shoots.

The problem is in Ohio the shoots all end this month. So I need to know what is good practice I can do at an indoor range to prepare? I have my own outdoor range so that is what I will do on nicer weather days. I wanna be prepared the best I can some spring.

I have at my disposal right now a 92FS, CZ82, XD9 and Kahr P40. I was going to try and use the Kahr at first because that is what I carry the most besides BUGS. I am sure I won't be real competitive at first so I wanna use the practice for real life CCWing. After I get familiar with it I will invest in a IDPA rig.

Here are some of the questions:

What are some good practice procedures to prepare for IDPA at an indoor range that doesn't allow drawing from a holster?

Any limitations using the Kahr? Besides round count and short sight radius? I shoot the pistol well.

What equipment am I gonna need besides my CBST holster, three mags and the pistol?

Any good reading sources? I read the "rules" book but I think watching a match would do more for me than just reading it.

What else am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old October 24, 2011, 11:44 AM   #2
g.willikers

For developing skill, read a few books that are available at brianenos.com, in the store section.
Especially Brian's book, "Beyond the Fundamentals".
For practice at home, dry fire as much as possible, including the draw and concentrate on good trigger technique.
Airsoft is good, too, to be able to practice in ways most ranges don't allow.
Also look for indoor matches in your area, for the winter.
Having an outdoor range at home gives you a real advantage, too.
At the range, practice reloads, the tactical, the reload with retention, and the shoot it dry version.
Both from slide lock and from the gun in battery.
Also practice starting with the gun on the table, both loaded and empty.
There's lots more, of course, but hopefully these ideas will give you a start.

Last edited by g.willikers; October 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old October 24, 2011, 03:05 PM   #3
rookie5.56

Get in good with a sportsmans club, members there not only host these events. But shoot them as well. They'll be able to help you alot. Not much you can do at indoor ranges other than practice your marksmanship
Old October 25, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Beentown71

Thanks for the info all.

I am in Central Ohio and there are no clubs close. I have to drive a bit to get to one. All of them quit doing shoots in October due to the weather around here.

How many mag holders will I need? Is the equipment listed above GTG?

Thanks again,

Beentown

Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old October 25, 2011, 09:34 AM   #5
kraigwy

If I was going to practice for my first IDPA match, on my own, I think I would practice the Classifier Course of Fire.

http://www.idpa.com/classify1.asp

I don't believe in waiting until I'm better to start shooting competition. Start now, tell the people you're shooting with you are new and they will help you get started down the right path, correctly.

I don't know of any type of competition that doesn't want new shooters to grow their sport. They'll take in new shooters and work with you as you learn the game.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 25, 2011, 02:53 PM   #6
rookie5.56

theres 3 in central ohio all withing 25 to 30 miles from columbus, and there open all year round and the members set up the courses. I shot a few IDPA matches at pickaway and they helped me for the 3 i shot in. Want to get back into but being a single dad its rough. and you can shoot all year round. unless you cant stand the cold.
Old October 26, 2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
Not much you can do at indoor ranges other than practice your marksmanship
Down here in FLA we have an indoor range that holds a IDPA match every 4th Sunday of the month. Actually is nice because they do low light and no light stages. Never get rained out and kind of nice in the HOT HUMID summer months.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 26, 2011, 08:35 PM   #8
g.willikers

These folks have an indoor range in the Dayton area, and hold matches during the winter:

http://miamisburgsportsmensclub.org/
Old October 26, 2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Beentown71

Maybe it is different with the others but when I looked up IDPA all the ones around me ended in October...

http://www.defensivepistol.org/

It shows one that goes through November. I am an avid hunter and wouldn't start anything until late winter/spring anyway. Ohio rut is in November and I don't wanna miss a minute of it!

Thanks for the info fellas,

Beentown