The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Ever witnessed a Pig Attack?
Unprovoked Pig Attack 5 8.20%
Provoked, Ie, Hunting in the open 16 26.23%
Pinned or Cornered pigs 14 22.95%
Other 7 11.48%
Never 26 42.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15, 2011, 02:33 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
And if someone bothers to check, I am fairly certain they will find considerably larger numbers of folks hurt by domestic barnyard pigs whilst being kept, caged, herded, or otherwise managed in captivity than hunters are hurt by feral hogs that initiated attacts on hunters.
That statement cannot be disputed... Sheer numbers of domestic live stock and people charged with their care makes that a positively true statement.

And to be clear... I wasn't trying to be argumentative at all. Just pointing it out.

When I was a kid, the farmer I helped with bought 3 smallish "gilts" descibed as "texas pigs". All 3 were heavily spotted (should have been a red flag) and ornery.

All 3 were poor mothers. They would eat/kill their young in the first days after giving birth. They were also vicious towards us and would over turn their feed and water trough in anger as we filled them.

Looking back with my new found knowledge of feral swine, I expect these were trapped in texas and made their way into the supply chain.

After a second litter each, we attempted to off them in the same Michigan auction we bought them in. Only problem, they managed to knock the top door of the trailer open and leaped to their death on the highway at 60+ mph...

Brent
Old June 15, 2011, 02:39 PM   #27
markj

Quote:
Y'all kept wild or feral hogs to hunt at the stockyard?
A hog is a hog, come on over and I will gladly introduce you to several thousand.

<Deleted> city boys think they know it all, a 450 lb boar will kill you and eat you in a heart beat.

I bet if the one I killed was running at you eyes burning red, slobber drooling off his jaws, you would mess yorself and run the other way. Hahaha I stood my ground and killed it, I was 15 years old.

Last edited by JohnKSa; August 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: .
Old June 15, 2011, 10:52 PM   #28
BIG P

Only seen a few spotted hogs here where I hunt most of these are piney wood rooters Black razor back long nose could eat corn out of a milk jug & from what I've seen most have ill tempered.I dont take any chances anymore I kill everyone I can & plan to keep doin it.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:11 PM   #29
rodwhaincamo

While my father was stationed in Germany he saw several hogs off in a field. He pulled over, got out of his truck, and began taking pictures. They were maybe 100 yds or so. A huge boar had chased him back to his truck. He waited and tried again only to be chased back soon after.
Old June 17, 2011, 07:24 AM   #30
Doyle

Quote:
While my father was stationed in Germany he saw several hogs off in a field. He pulled over, got out of his truck, and began taking pictures. They were maybe 100 yds or so. A huge boar had chased him back to his truck. He waited and tried again only to be chased back soon after.
That brings up a whole new can of worms. Most of the feral hogs in the US are "piney rooters". They are the mixed descendents of Spanish hogs brought in centuries ago crossed with escaped domestic hogs. Some areas of the country have hogs that are crossbred with the Russian breed (like they have in Germany). From what I understand, the Russians are much more aggressive.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:26 PM   #31
Hog Buster

Been charged several times by hogs, but not one of them has been wild/feral. All attackers were the barnyard variety and penned. Killed a ton of the wild ones and had their buddies haul ass past me at the sound of the shot, but never charged by any. A domestic hog sees people often enough to not fear them. Most all wild ones will make tracks at the sight or sound of anyone.

Of course cornered or after being chewed on by dogs, or wounded any hog can ruin your day, just like many other kinds of animals. They’re a heavy ball of muscle that can hit you like an angry Volkswagen and do about as much damage.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:52 PM   #32
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
That brings up a whole new can of worms. Most of the feral hogs in the US are "piney rooters". They are the mixed descendents of Spanish hogs brought in centuries ago crossed with escaped domestic hogs. Some areas of the country have hogs that are crossbred with the Russian breed (like they have in Germany). From what I understand, the Russians are much more aggressive.
Size, colors, hair, tail, and behavior are not definitive traits of whether a boar has any "Russian" in his blood line or not and few people actually know pig lineages well enough to understand what is or is not a Russian boar or how it can be distinguished from another type of boar. Strangely, the same traits that are present in multi-generational feral hogs seem to be the same traits of Russian boars, only they are simply reflective of living in the wild and these are traits found across the spectrum of Sus scrofa. Keep in mind that many or most of the Spanish hogs came from the same European wild boar population that also comprises the "Russian" boars.
Old June 17, 2011, 09:53 PM   #33
the blur

makes me rethink my plan of pistol hunting hogs with a 9mm.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:29 PM   #34
TXGunNut

I've hunted hogs for years, partly because they "run both ways", partly because I have this Italian sausage recipe that works so well with them.
Only had two run my way, one or both wounded. First one was trying to get away from the guide and another, he was between us so I had no shot. Second one tried it twice, was badly wounded and merely pushed me out of his way the first time. He tried to ambush me after we tracked him down but a 45-70 in his ear inside of ten feet changed his mind, so to speak.
I've seen the charging boar videos and I'm glad the piggies around here don't do that...very often. If boars didn't scare me a bit I probably wouldn't enjoy hunting them so much.
And yes, blur, hunting a big piggy w/ a 9mm may be a bad idea. If you decide to do it anyway make sure someone (not you) gets some video footage.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:33 PM   #35
LSnSC

The "Spanish" genes are long gone. What you have now are the descendants of domestic stock gone wild along with private stockings to introduce huntable populations ( a really bad idea). Free range hogs were once common in the SE and thats where most of what we have came from.
I've had several Eurasian hogs. Their temperaments are no different than any other hog. Some are friendly and some arent. They are much more agile and omnivorous than feral pigs, and they had just as soon eat meat as corn. Mine wouldnt touch hog feed. Ive trapped a bunch of ferals and most tame up after a while. The Eurasians are more skittish.
Ive always heard that if the pigs are striped they have some Eurasian blood in them.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:37 PM   #36
the blur

I saw a place in FL, $200 any size hog. held at bay, and you knife them, spear them, or pistol shoot at close range.

you go in on a big tire swamp buggy bus thing.

sounds like it's better to stay up high, and rifle shoot them.
Old June 17, 2011, 10:54 PM   #37
TXGunNut

More than a few Texas hogs seem to have Russian traits but that's likely because some ranchers introduced them a few decades back for hunting purposes. Can't say for sure the Spanish genes haven't made it to TX but have little doubt the SE US is still populated by pigs that share DNA with pigs released by the Spaniards in FL 500 yrs ago as well as more recent escapees. More than a few pigs I've killed have the heavy shoulders and split hairs, among other traits, that hint at Russian DNA. I've hunted ranches where Russians were released in the 60's, IIRC, and the hogs I've found in other parts of TX have those same characteristics.
I guess some DNA tests would clear all this up, but what's the fun in that?
Old June 17, 2011, 11:14 PM   #38
Double Naught Spy

In order to hint at DNA, you have to know the phenotypes being produced by the genotypes. Things like split tips and shoulder size are not diagnostic. They are traits often claimed and often "known" to be diagnostic and there was research where such traits were reported as diagnostic many decades ago, but such research was qualitative and subjective and has failed to hold up under scrutiny. Here is a nifty article covering these facets...
http://agrilife.org/texnatwildlife/f...ced-wild-boar/
Old June 17, 2011, 11:53 PM   #39
LSnSC

Chances are those $200 hogs were bought from a local trapper the day before and released right before you get there. Most that have any kind of guarantee are put and take operations. Its definitely buyer beware with hog hunts. Make darned sure you and the guide are on the same page as to what constitutes and meat hog and what is a trophy.
The buggy hunting was a south FL tradition and makes getting paying hunters around wet pastures easier. Its more for transportation and observation, not to protect you from man eating hogs.
Old June 18, 2011, 07:58 AM   #40
GoOfY-FoOt

Quote:
They’re a heavy ball of muscle that can hit you like an angry Volkswagen and do about as much damage.
That's probably the best analogy/description I think I've ever heard regarding a 300 lb agitated boar...It can be very difficult to describe the power and sheer force and aggression, capable from a teed-off baconator.

And, unlike Happy Gilmore after his encounter with an angry Volkswagen, you will most likely suffer far greater injuries...
Old June 18, 2011, 09:10 AM   #41
rodwhaincamo

@ Blur
Check out what these gys have to say.

http://www.texasboars.com/hunting/huntingtips.html
Old June 18, 2011, 09:30 AM   #42
TXGunNut

Good read, DNS. My dad was a biology professor, wish he was here to clear up a few terms and concepts but I got the general idea. I've attached photos of two mounted hogs. The first two are of a boar taken at the Schott Ranch near Silverton, TX. He seems to have quite a few Eurasian traits. Third is of a boar taken at the Nail Ranch near Albany, TX and seems to have more feral traits even though Eurasians were released nearby in the 1960's. I'll post another pic in another post.
It seems to me that from what I've seen most of the wild hogs I've hunted were a hybrid with traits of both. Some seem to have more of one and less of another and vice versa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schott Ranch, Nail Ranch boars 001.jpg (250.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Schott Ranch, Nail Ranch boars 002.jpg (262.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Schott Ranch, Nail Ranch boars 003.jpg (251.2 KB, 29 views)
Old June 18, 2011, 09:32 AM   #43
TXGunNut

Here's a closeup of the Nail Ranch boar.
Regardless of their background they're fun and rewarding to hunt. I feel the only advantage of the Eurasian traits is that they make for better mounts, but that's subjective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schott Ranch, Nail Ranch boars 004.jpg (258.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by TXGunNut; June 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old June 18, 2011, 12:22 PM   #44
rickyrick

How do yall explain all of the different types of pigs in the same sounder or community of pigs, some look like the fabled Russians others look like fuzzy domestics. Do they just meet up and decide to group together or are they of the same family and they pick up the different traits like mixed breed dogs?
Old June 18, 2011, 06:10 PM   #45
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The comment about the hazards of domestic hogs calls to mind an event of many decades back. An old bachelor-type Ocala, Florida, farmer was in his hog pen, feeding them. He had a heart attack (they think). Most of him was found a few days later...
Old June 19, 2011, 12:19 AM   #46
TXGunNut

Genetics, Rickyrick. Even the "obviously" feral hogs around here likely have Eurasian traits and genes. Some genes are dominant, some recessive, IIRC. Hogs east of here likely have the genes of Spanish hogs released 500 years ago as well as more recent escapees from mebbe 50 or more yrs ago. Eurasian hogs were released in TX, CA and most likely other states as well. Wild hogs love to roam; no telling where you'll find Russians, pretty hard to tell for certain if you've actually found them. Most every hog I've killed had traits of both Eurasion and feral hogs.
Old June 19, 2011, 03:22 AM   #47
youngunz4life

that's interesting Art

Quote:
The comment about the hazards of domestic hogs calls to mind an event of many decades back. An old bachelor-type Ocala, Florida, farmer was in his hog pen, feeding them. He had a heart attack (they think). Most of him was found a few days later...
I am surprised they didn't eat more of him over a few days time. I have heard some people claim hogs make great pets. I think wild hogs would have eaten him up, so I don't know if thats a coincidence.

I wouldn't know myself. My experience comes from the tv when it relates to hogs(oh yeah, I got to get a pix of mama at the state fair too).
Old July 18, 2011, 07:12 AM   #48
TurkeyOak

Protective Charges

I've been charged by wild boars around the Smokies as a protective move to protect they young. Once the piglets were off the ridge the chage stopped and it beat a retreat. No atttacks were completed. They only damage to us was a rapidly beating heart and a need for clean shorts.
Old July 23, 2011, 03:58 AM   #49
swsurgeon

The only times I've been charged were by hogs that were penned or already shot by me.

One time I was following a sow with piglets that was being pursued by coyotes. The coyotes took off when they saw me. The sow doubled back in a loop, apparently to engage the coyotes. I don't know whether she would have done that if she had scented a human on her trail. Hard to say.