The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 11:38 AM   #26
chiefr

It was not a good idea to ship heavy or certain items in a bubble bag.. Just asking for problems. Several years ago I ordered a bottle of lyman turbo polish that you add to walnut media in your tumbler.
Well it cracked open in shipment. I emailed Midway & they sent another free. This time it was in a cardboard box.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:56 PM   #27
tahunua001

I've ordered countless things from midway, they've never shipped anything without the box. everything has been as described. accidents are bound to happen but I agree that this sounds a bit fishy.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:19 PM   #28
Silver00LT

Quote:
I've ordered countless things from midway, they've never shipped anything without the box. everything has been as described. accidents are bound to happen but I agree that this sounds a bit fishy.
Expense cuts most likely since they have lost a lot of reloading revenue due to shortages.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:47 PM   #29
Roughedge

I would guess it came by USPS , People try to get out cheap by using the post office because its half of UPS and then blame Midway for the problem. If you spend the little extra and ship it UPS you wont have that trouble. I learned the hard way too.
Old May 24, 2013, 05:02 PM   #30
Silver00LT

USPS did not do that. MidwayUSA is fully at fault for that packaging.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:25 PM   #31
trobin

Mine was ups!!!
Old May 24, 2013, 06:35 PM   #32
schmellba99

Quote:
I told them that the problem is that the bullets may not even be fit to shoot after being handled like this,
I completely understand the frustration of crappy packaging for something you spent your hard earned money on, but it takes a whole heck of a lot more than just some shipping vibrations to do any significant damage to a projectile.

Shoot, during the fabrication process when they toss thousands and thousands of them into a vibratory tumbler to polish them, the projectiles are subjected to a lot more impact than one would expect during shipping.

But, all in all, looks like you have about an even 100 missing to me....
Old May 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #33
tahunua001

I agree, unless someone happened to take a hammer to them then those bullets are still more than acceptable for firing and even if they were unfit to fire there is no telling if it was UPS' doing or midways.

they were shipped in a plastic envelope, with normally handling nothing would punch through, that is 100% UPS' fault if you are missing bullets despite the non-standard packaging.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:11 PM   #34
tomj44

I recently ordered and received 1000 Rainer 115 gr 9mm bullets from Midway USA. The packaging was double boxed and the shipping was fast.
Old May 24, 2013, 07:23 PM   #35
Dan Newberry

I guess I'll try to reach the big boss Monday. Customer service seems to have blown me off...

Dan
Old May 24, 2013, 08:07 PM   #36
Harold1950

I ordered 4 boxes of .308 150 grain game king bullets from Midway and they arrived last night. They were in a cardboard box about 8 inches wide, maybe 12 inches long and 6 inches tall. They were packed with 5 of those plastic "air bags" they use for packing. The 4 boxes of bullets rattled around a lot but were intact. They must not have been tossed around a lot in shipping otherwise they would have broken open. Smaller box and packed better would have been better.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:27 PM   #37
Silver00LT

Quote:
I agree, unless someone happened to take a hammer to them then those bullets are still more than acceptable for firing and even if they were unfit to fire there is no telling if it was UPS' doing or midways.

they were shipped in a plastic envelope, with normally handling nothing would punch through, that is 100% UPS' fault if you are missing bullets despite the non-standard packaging.
Wrong. If the product is not packaged accordingly then the shipper assumes no liability. It goes straight to the selling business' shipping department.

Quote:
I recently ordered and received 1000 Rainer 115 gr 9mm bullets from Midway USA. The packaging was double boxed and the shipping was fast.
I ordered the same. 3 Days later I receive my box...no bullets. Log onto MidwayUSA they stated after I e-mailed that it was oversold. Did not receive a notification...just the refund in my account 7 days later. -shrugs- But I purchased 2k bullets instead for cheaper off a member here.

I've always received boxed orders from MidwayUSA.

Quote:
I guess I'll try to reach the big boss Monday. Customer service seems to have blown me off...

Dan
I would stress the lack of concern with the packaging prior to it being dropped off with the shipper. Putting something like that in a PLASTIC bag and praying it does not bust open.

UPS, USPS and FedEx have liability clauses that void them out of any liability due to poor packaging. Stop blaming the shipping company over the busted boxes and bag which caused products to be lost. That is NOT their fault. It falls back COMPLETELY onto MidwayUSA shipping department.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:42 PM   #38
steve4102

Quote:

Dan
Try Tuesday, Monday is the day we remember and honor our fallen Solders. I doubt he will be available.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:00 PM   #39
tahunua001

Quote:
Wrong. If the product is not packaged accordingly then the shipper assumes no liability. It goes straight to the selling business' shipping department.
I'm not talking about liability, I'm talking about who-dun-it. the shippers are the ones that abused the package and punched holes in it, regardless of how it was packed it should have never had that much weight against it to cause that damage. they may not choose to compensate OP but it is the shipper that caused the damage with their carelessness.

I recently got my highschool diploma from the state BOE, in the mail. the envelope said "do not bend or fold" and yet it arrived warped, and creased. shippers rarely handle parcels as prescribed.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:09 PM   #40
Silver00LT

That is correct.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:58 PM   #41
Gaucho Gringo

About 10-12 years ago I used to sell vintage stereo equipment on Ebay. Must of sold close to 1000-1200 pieces of equipment and accessories. Never had one piece damaged and people raved about how well I packed the equipment. Reel to reel tape decks are probably the worst to ship right without damage, but I probably sold and shipped 50-60 of them with no problems. It can be done but you have pay attention to what you are doing when the item is not replaceable. If Midway screws up, they usually have another to sand you. If I screwed up on a 30 year old piece of vintage stereo gear I am out a lot of money. Midway has their screw ups factored in as a cost of doing business, the lessor cost of packaging vs the cost of replacing a damaged shipment. Unfortunately most businesses don't factor in the loss of goodwill or negative publicity(complaints on websites like this one).
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old May 25, 2013, 09:59 PM   #42
stubbicatt

Hm. I had the same thing happen to me last week. I ordered up the D166 Lapua 200 grain bullets, and someone had cut the label on the plastic box, which was open and the bullets were all over the inside of the packing box. I mean the label was neatly cut, not torn.

Wonder if this is a trend.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:50 PM   #43
Silver00LT

Sounds like it. I have yet to receive a reply.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:46 AM   #44
Jerry45

I have received several orders of bullets and brass in the last couple of months. All have been packed in cardboard boxes with plastic-air-bad packing. All have arrived is good shape thank goodness.

Something that does have me aggravated is.. I ordered a Jewell trigger 2nd. air Thursday. I wanted it delivered by Tuesday so I could install it and go to the range Wednesday. According to UPS I won't get it until Wednesday. UPS never delivers before 3:PM so no range Wednesday. Normally when I order something on a Thursday I receive it by Wednesday or Thursday of the following week. So I've spent twice the normal shipping for no better service. UPS has once again managed to tick me off.
Old May 26, 2013, 06:15 AM   #45
Silver00LT

Quote:
Jerry45
I have received several orders of bullets and brass in the last couple of months. All have been packed in cardboard boxes with plastic-air-bad packing. All have arrived is good shape thank goodness.

Something that does have me aggravated is.. I ordered a Jewell trigger 2nd. air Thursday. I wanted it delivered by Tuesday so I could install it and go to the range Wednesday. According to UPS I won't get it until Wednesday. UPS never delivers before 3:PM so no range Wednesday. Normally when I order something on a Thursday I receive it by Wednesday or Thursday of the following week. So I've spent twice the normal shipping for no better service. UPS has once again managed to tick me off.
I would request a refund as they failed to deliver it on time.
Old May 26, 2013, 08:15 AM   #46
Dan Newberry

Gaucho Gringo said:
"Midway has their screw ups factored in as a cost of doing business, the lessor cost of packaging vs the cost of replacing a damaged shipment. Unfortunately most businesses don't factor in the loss of goodwill or negative publicity(complaints on websites like this one)."

And I think that is probably exactly what is going on.

I sent one more email to customer service and asked them for another box of the bullets to compensate me for any lost and also for the frustration... I don't know if they'll do it...

I run a small business myself. If I get any inkling of an idea that someone is less than 100 percent satisfied with anything we have provided, I offer full refunds or additional service at no charge. It's the right thing to do...

Dan
Old May 26, 2013, 09:40 AM   #47
steve4102

I don't think so, every business has to factor in breakage, spillage, lost shipments, etc.etc. They have to. That doesn't mean Midway is "rolling the dice" as far as Shipping and Handling goes hoping the package will be delivered unscathed.

My guess is that with this unprecedented run on shooting, reloading and firearms, Midway was forced to higher a ton of new employees. Part time employees, the kind of employee that could care less about the Company as a whole cuz they are gone in a few weeks or months anyhow.

Then CS has to try and fix what they screwed up without upsetting the customer and also breaking the bank.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:13 AM   #48
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Newberry:
They've so far basically said they are sorry and that I should let them know if anything is missing and they'll make it right.

I really don't know what more you could ask from them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Newberry:

I don't really feel like sitting and counting how many I have in order to tell them what is missing.

I sent one more email to customer service and asked them for another box of the bullets to compensate me for any lost and also for the frustration.

You claim you don't want to count and see if anything is missing or damaged, you just want them to send you a third of your total order to compensate for your "frustration". You are making claims against them without giving them a chance to make it right. Seems that the way Sierra packaged their bullets and the way whoever delivered the package, had as much to do with how the bullets arrived as Midway. If you went the cheap shipping route when ordering, the package probably went thru the USPS. I say give Midway a chance to make it right before you demonize them.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:22 AM   #49
tahunua001

I agree with buck. I've had frustrating encounters with online purchases before so I know how hard it is to try to approach this logically and evenhandedly but you refuse to take 5 minutes counting to see if anything is even missing and yet you still think that midway is obligated to give you free stuff to make up for what may very well be just broken packaging which is just as much the shippers fault as it is midways. maybe 10 years ago when they were still a relatively small organization but now they deal with thousands of purchases a DAY, you can not seriously expect them to give a single person special treatment especially when you won't even meet them half way and make sure that you are even missing anything.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:14 PM   #50
Jerry45

Silver00LT, been there done that. They don't care. I remember when UPS was first starting up. Like all new companies they were begging for business and would bend over backwards to get it. Now that they have become a mega-corporation they could care less about the little guy.

I wish all mail-order companies offered the choice of FedX. If enough people switched to FedX perhaps UPS wold get the message. FedX even delvers on Saturday. If you pay UPS for next day air you won't get your package until Monday if they receive it or pick it up on Friday. Maybe even not until Tuesday. If FedX gets it Friday they will have it at my door before noon Saturday.

A pair of boots I ordered was tracked from point to point. Until it got to Jackson Mississippi. It never left that hub. I call UPS. I called UPS. I called UPS. We don't know. We don't know. We don't know what happened to your package. The company I purchased the boots from sent another pair. Never did find out who stole my boots. And before anyone says I can't know that for a fact. The boots were scanned into the hub and they were never scanned out. Someone INSIDE THE HUB STOLE THEM.

Friend ordered a Springer Front end for his Harley. It was tracked until it disappeared. He had it insured. He fought with UPS for almost a year. He finally got his money. Of course by then the price of the front end had gone up and it cost him more money.

And last but not least. UPS will leave my packages on the stoop in the rain. FedX people will put it between the storm door and my wooden door to keep it dry.

To say I have grown to dislike UPS is an understatement.

Last edited by Jerry45; May 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Closed Thread