The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1
RangerDoc

New to black powder

I'm getting the bug to get a Civil War era BP rifle, probably a Pedersoli copy of a 1858 Enfield 2 band rifle musket. Can anyone direct me to a good website for a comprehensive introduction to shooting this rifle? Also, I'm having trouble locating a local source for musket- size percussion caps and minie balls.
Old April 18, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Welcome to the forum.

As far as an good intro, this is the place. Before long, you will have four responses to your original post from guys who take this stuff very seriously.

My experience with muzzle loading long arms is minimal and not contemporary but I will venture a guess you will need number 11 caps. They can be bought at a Cabelas or Bass Proshop store.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Go to a Rendezvous or to the N-SSA shoot in Virginia. Also check out the N-SSA website for used guns.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:54 AM   #4
chickenmcnasty

I started off looking at a hawken. I ended up buying a Kentucky, Hawken, Colt Walker and now a Brown Bess. Every penny that has been spent on this new addiction has been money well spent. At least until my wife pulls out the calculator...
I can't speak to that particular style of rifle/musket. All I know is that you will have a lot of fun in the details.
Old April 19, 2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

A CW rifled musket means CW reenactors can give you the best advice. Search for those organizations and look for one near you. There are many sources of muzzle loading guns and accessorites. CW items are among what most sell. The one you mention may require musket (top hat) caps. Do some studying before you make your investment.
Old April 21, 2013, 08:01 PM   #6
RangerDoc

Thanks to all. Rifleman 1776 is correct- tophat musket primers are required. My friendly local gunsmith gave me 400 primers that he had laying around and a lb of triple seven FFg powder. I'm still looking for minie balls but have found one source.
Old April 21, 2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Comancheseven

Welcom to the Black Powder sickness, just to let you know, there is no cure (Thank Goodness) I shoot a T/C Hawken 54 / Colt Navy & even a Philly Derringer. They are a bunch of fun, Hunt with the 54 dead on at 100 yards.
Welcome to the BP club, I hope you have many hours of White Smoke Fun.
Dave
Old April 23, 2013, 12:16 PM   #8
histed

You might try Dixie Gun Works for a 58 Springfied or a similar Zouve/Enfield style CW replica. Track of the Wolf also used to sell decent replicas, but I've not visited their site lately. Any, welcome to the addiction!