The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2008, 08:41 PM   #51
Swampghost

The 5.65/.223 round was originally designed to kill a man out to 400m with FMJ's. Men tend to be about the same weight as deer. With an expanding bullet that is allowed or required when hunting there is more energy absorbed.

The only problems that we had with it down here were that a blade of sawgrass would deflect the small projectile and the exit wounds/shocked tissue would ruin a lot of good eating meat. Head shots became the order of the day.
Old December 9, 2008, 03:24 PM   #52
Buzzard Bait

tried to load picture didn't work

Last edited by Buzzard Bait; December 9, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: tried to load picture didn't work
Old December 9, 2008, 06:53 PM   #53
SavageSniper

Must be deer season again. I can tell by the "is the .223 enough to kill a deer post". Yes it will, seen it myself. Did it last year and I will add that I have never seen as large of a blood trail in my life. No there is not as much margin for error but if we are talkin ethics, there sould be no margin. I am proud to say that I can hit quarters at 200 yards with mine consistantly. It took me a while to get a rifle like that. It is more the shooter than the round. Dont use something you are not comfortable with.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:09 PM   #54
sureshots

Ethics

I always thought Ethics were for Doctors,Lawyers and such. After all we kill these animals. Why does it matter what caliber we use if it does the job in an orderly, humane fashion. I can kill deer with 223cal. and 22-250cal. just as dead as with my 30-06cal. If its legal where you hunt, than I consider it to also be ethical.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:19 PM   #55
thallub

Have not killed a deer with a .223 in decades. Would not deer hunt with one now because the ammo I prefer to hunt with is not legal for use on deer in most states.

I hunt hogs with the .223 and the military 5.56mm M193 ball round. Have killed a few dozen of hogs with that round. Have seldom had to shoot a hog more than once and have never lost one. The bullet penetrates about 5-6" yaws and comes apart. It shreds the heart, lungs and, quite often, the diaphram. Sometimes the liver is also damaged by bullet fragments.

These are two boars that i killed earlier this year with the .223 using the 5.56mm M193 round. The red one ran about 50 yards after being hit. The black one bang flopped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boars 4May, 08 (Medium).jpg (99.1 KB, 56 views)
Old December 9, 2008, 07:20 PM   #56
SavageSniper

Ethics apply to all, by contract or not.
Old December 9, 2008, 10:25 PM   #57
Fremmer

O.K. guys, I've thought about my last post for a few days now.

I'm just an average shot. And the deer in Nebraska can get to be fairly big (you Northerner/Canadian guys, pipe down!!! ), so be kind and let me say....perhaps the .223 is fine for those who are good shots on the appropriate-sized deer, especially in the South where they don't get so big. Fair enough?!?
Old December 10, 2008, 01:35 PM   #58
armedtotheteeth

Ive killed lots of deer with my Ar15 using Vmaxs to the ear. The beauty of the AR is its accuracy. Havent had a runner yet. The deer always fall on the spot. I wont take a chest shot, cuz i know it wont do it. Wait until the deer turns away for you and clock him in the back of the head, or ear. Dont use FMJ or Match ammo. I killed a really nice 8 point.. over 160 pounds with one shot, to the ear. I usually limit myself to shots under 150 yards with the Ar 15 on deer. Pigs.. out to 300 no big deal. I have a 300 Win, and a 30-30, and numerous 30-06s and a 338 Federal. i prefer the 223. Cheaper ammo, Im handy with it, Its very durn accurate, and it doesnt destroy 8 pounds of meat. Oh, its also legal here.
Old December 10, 2008, 03:13 PM   #59
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
Shot placement is everything

If you shoot enough deer, sooner or later you will wind up loosing one or having to trail it for hours and that is regardless of the caliber. A .458 win mag will wound a 120 pound deer if you make a poor shot. Is a .223 enough gun? Yep, if you are enough of a hunter.

The most successful whitetail hunter I know, used a .223/20 ga. Savage Mod. 24 and took dozens of Georgia whitetails and rarely (if ever) lost one. In my own personal experience, I shot a nice 10 point eastern whitetail with a 165 gr. Sierra PH out of my .30-06 at 60 yards. I found pieces of bone 4 inches long along with a lot of blood at the site. I followed the blood trail for nearly 1/2 mile before finally loosing it. A week later my neighbor found the deer at his pond. It seems the round hit in the front shoulder joint and fragmented and did not penetrate. Bad, but hardly an indication that the old '06 is not adequate for the job.