The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 21, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Motor-T Marine

20ga chokes for slugs.

My wife and I own guns for home defense and target shooting. She's good to go with the 9mm. But when we shoot shotguns she's getting beat up. I found out her shot gun (Remington 870 youth) came with a full choke and we were shooting #3 buck. It rocked her but not bad. Next time to save money I got some bird shot. And it really was hard. I shot a few myself and it really was much worse than my 12ga with slugs.
I think my plan is to get an improved choke and a slip on limbs aver so she can shoot slugs.
Any Ideas, or thoughts on 20ga loads thatll go easier on her ?
Old March 21, 2013, 08:43 AM   #2
chewie146

One of the problems with recoil could be that the gun doesn't fit quite right. That's why it kicked you so bad. Does she need a bit more length of pull? A bit less? However, if you're looking at a defensive gun in defense distances, IC or Mod is about as heavy as I go. If it's not too heavy for her, a recoil reducer would help as well. There's always the expensive but cool Knoxx stock option.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:25 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Too light?

Brent
Old March 21, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Motor-T Marine

She's 5' tall so the LOP seems right. Her arms are short and it has the field style fore end. (she can't even reach the forfend on my mossberg 500) the surprising thing for me was that the birdshot had more kick. In my experience I can shoot the low brass out a 12ga all day all smiles.
Old March 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Choke has nothing to do with recoil
LIGHT gun shooting heavy loads that doesn't fit has EVERYTHING to do with recoil
There's more to fit than LOP - especially for women - cast, pitch, toe, drop at heel, drop at comb, etc. all contribute

She needs to shoot the heaviest gun (that fits) that she can handle with the lightest loads that will work the gun - that's Newton's laws and you can't change that
Old March 21, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If it has a hollow plastic stock, try paking some ounces of weight tightly in there and try it again... If you add a half pound or more, it should make a pronounced difference in recoil... If it proves to help, then you can make a variety of decisions on how to permanently (semi anyway) and where to place the added weight... They have weights to replace the front mag nut on those I think...

brent
Old March 21, 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Motor-T Marine

I'll have to challenge that first line. That choke has nothing to do with it. Especially if were talking physics. Recoil is the result of pressure inside the chamber/ barrel from gas of the explosive charge. So I agree in less charge vs more. And I agree that proper fit will help. But back to the choke, if the load is being choked down before leaving the barrel this should create more pressure . Causing more force in both directions. The projectile should move faster after leaving the barrel as well as pressure increased moving in the opposite direction.(more felt recoil). This may be the variable with the least change in outcome but the choke has to have some effect.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pressure is the same with any choke before payload reaches the end of barrel... But at the speed the payload is already moving, you could never sense that little change as rearward recoil...

If anything, you would feel it tug the gun forward... The slug would hit that choke at 1,300 FPS (inches per millisecond) and try to pull the gun forward as inertia of the payload is headed forward...

Brent
Old March 21, 2013, 01:09 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Challenge it al you want - choke deals ONLY with patterning. Do not confuse pressures of metallic with shotgun - the two are not comparable.

The choke is the last inch or two of the barrel, the speed is fast, AND the lead compresses to squeeze through the choke - the same with those "rifled"looking slugs - they swage themselves down to go through the choke - if there was a pressure spike, the barrels would be blown apart in a nice kaboom

As to foreend weights, try here

Jim has great mag cap weights for Remington
Old March 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #10
g.willikers

If it hurts, why do it?
Shotguns recoil, a lot.
There's plenty of other choices out there.
Unless she wants to do the shotgun sports, get something more suitable for target shooting and home defense.
Like maybe a pistol caliber carbine.
Old March 22, 2013, 02:17 PM   #11
ZVP

I have a 20ga Stoger Uplander with chokes marked *** and **** I am guessing Improved and full(?).
The ONLY powerful H/D Loads right now are rifledFederal's So if I were to shoot these I would not damage the gun? My only alternative is #4 Birdshot.
The gun is an absolute sweetheart to shoot! It must fit me perfectly...
ZVP
Old March 22, 2013, 06:26 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

more likely *** is Mod and **** is Improved Cylinder

See here

You should be fine with whatever your owner's manual says is safe to shoot
You should be able to find something in between - even some hevi-shot is better than #4 birdshot
Old March 23, 2013, 12:45 AM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Agree with the gun probably not a good fit, Getting to a good stock maker and getting her fit for a proper stock could cost some sheckles but it would fit her perfectly. On the other hand $700 would get you a Remington 1187 semi auto Sportsman compact youth gun in 20 gauge with a mod choke and 21" barrel. Maybe not as good for upland bird hunting or busting ducks but it would be good for the home defense scenario and a great small game getter. Semi-auto's are just easier on the shooter.

I use a similar gun for HD, turkey hunting and a back up deer gun. Mine has hi viz rifle sights on it which makes it perfect for me for those uses but you could also mount a scope mount on it easily for minimal cost and put a low power scope on it. I use a 2.5X20 on my other gun and it works like a champ. Slugs or birdshot I shoot to point of aim with one setting on my scope and the same holds true for the gun with the rifle sights.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--