The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 26, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
THERAVEN

Want to get a 44 mag

I want to get a 44 mag in a western gun. I don't have a lot of money. Which gun should I go for.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Mr.Scott

Keep you're eyes out for an Ruger blackhawk or Pietta at Cabelas if you have one near by.
Old December 26, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
22-rimfire

Ruger Blackhawk. Just keep your eyes open. I don't know what "not a lot of money" means to you.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:05 PM   #4
DealHunter

Just out of curiosity do you reload? I agree that a Ruger Blackhawk is a good bet, but I ask because even "range" .44 mag ammo (factory) is not cheap...
Old December 26, 2012, 10:48 PM   #5
22-rimfire

The cost of factory 44 mag ammo is important. But it just depends on how much you think you are going to shoot it.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:55 PM   #6
drail

Ruger Blackhawk. Then start saving for a reloading set up. You will never really see what that gun is capable of until you reload for it.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
RobertInIowa

Ruger Blackhawk is a great gun to start with. There's plenty of them available and the price is pretty reasonable. Very strong gun and quite accurate.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:14 PM   #8
kimbers rule

Im with these guys, a blackhawk would be the best route.
Old December 27, 2012, 04:21 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

"Don't have a lot of money" and ".44M Cowboy guns" don't go together. You're .44M SA options are kinda limited and none are cheap. Blackhawks don't come in .44M it takes a Super Blackhawk for that and then you're looking at a $150 to $200 price increase right there. We haven't even gotten to ammo prices yet. IMO, stick with .357's or even .45's or .44sps. Then you up your options to include a whole bunch of import clones.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; December 27, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:57 PM   #10
458winshooter

44 mag western gun

Look for a Virginian on GB or a Ruger Vacaro or Blackhawk.The Virginian would be cheaper but they are not made any longer and parts are harder to come by.It looks much like a Colt SAA.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:33 AM   #11
Newton24b

genuine six shooter, eaa bounty hunter. its supposed to be blackhawk sized but comes in genuine 44 mag. descendent of the hawes western marshall according to internet. its an interesting gun
Old December 28, 2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Hal

Quote:
Look for a Virginian on GB or a Ruger Vacaro or Blackhawk.The Virginian would be cheaper but they are not made any longer and parts are harder to come by.It looks much like a Colt SAA.
Virginains and Virginian Dragoons have been "discovered"...
They aren't inexpensive anymore.
They start around $700 and go up from there.
MSRP on a brand new Super Blackhawk is $719.

I was going to recommend a Virgian Dragoon, but, decided to check and see what they go for now.
Now might be a good time to think about selling mine..
I'll probably wait and see what happens w/the AWB though...
Old December 28, 2012, 08:59 AM   #13
solocam72

Keep your eyes open for a used ruger super blackhawk, they are a very durable well made gun!
Old December 28, 2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
I want to get a 44 mag in a western gun.
Western?

Quote:
I don't have a lot of money.
Money?

Quote:
Which gun should I go for. (?)
? Cake and eat it too?
Old December 28, 2012, 10:09 AM   #15
Rebel9793

Superblack hawk

Keep your eyes open in the pawnshops an such for a used superblack hawk. Being you dont have a lot of money on hand to spend, Talk to your local gun store owner and see if you can make payments on one that may be slightly out of your price range. once you do pick a .44 up, you may want to look into reloading because .44 magnum is not cheap what so ever. you can load "cowboy" loads cheap.
Old December 28, 2012, 01:11 PM   #16
SteelChickenShooter

I've learned the grip on the super blackhawk is too small for me. My pinkie is under the bottom, so I replaced the grip with a Hogue brand. Since then, I've also learned that the Bisley version has a larger grip than the standard or super blackhawk. In my case, at first I thought I should have bought the Bisley, but then it looked like the barrel length I wanted was not available in that model. So take a look at the Ruger website and research all the different models.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:55 PM   #17
ClydeFrog

SASS? single action?...

Are you talking about a SASS or cowboy type single action six-shooter?
Uberti markets a few firearms that look like replica western guns.

Ruger & Beretta USA sell a few western guns too.
Check GunsAmerica.com or maybe Dixie GunWorks.
Clyde
Old December 28, 2012, 05:03 PM   #18
357 Python

I can highly recommend a Ruger Vaquero. I have a 5 1/2" Vaquero in stainless steel. It is my fun gun and is literally a blast to shoot. A used one should do very nicely.

Last edited by 357 Python; December 28, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Sergeant

If your going to shoot a 44 mag on the cheap, your going to have to reload. I load some at 44 special specs for plinking with lead bullets and jacketed for hot (make my day) plinking. You just cannot shoot 44 mag factory ammo on the cheap.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:59 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

The O.P. was reloading back in July of 2009 (I clicked on his ID and peeked at his previous posts. Took about a minute.) He has started a couple of threads about Cowboy Action Shooting and posted some questions about bullet mold sizes.

So, while he did not provide this information in the beginning, I suspect he is interested in CASS with a gun that will double as a "big banger"

Unfortunately, the Super Blackhawk (and most all Blackhawks) will not fit in the CASS scene, as they have adjustable sights. Purist groups will ostrasize anyone using such a gun, but some who are not as strict will allow it.

I think it might be tough to find a 44 Mag with fixed sights that will fit the CASS mold.

If you want a 45 Colt capable of the really heavy 45 Colt loads, the same limitations apply.

However, the Ruger New Vaquero in 45 Colt or 44 Special/44 Russian (both cartridges that were used in the proper historical time frame to qualify for CASS) might be just the ticket.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; December 31, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:28 PM   #21
seeker_two

Ruger made the large-frame Vaquero in .44Mag for awhile, so used models should be available. Probably more of them in .45Colt....which can be loaded rather warm in a big Vaq.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:29 AM   #22
Edward429451

I know no one has mentioned it, but I suggest a Blackhawk. Super Blackhawks are superb also.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:51 AM   #23
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
357 Python post#18

I can highly recommend a Ruger Vaquero. I have a 5 1/2" Vaquero in stainless steel. It is my fun gun and is literally a blast to shoot. A used one should do very nicely.
This guy is a very smart guy, or at least he's steering you in the right direction. All you have to do is find one, good luck, time is on your side. Good thing don't happen overnight. In fact, I think I just be in the market for one now, so you have competition now.

TBS, Vaquero means cowboy.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:02 AM   #24
Rifleman1776

All good advice so far.
I'll ditto the advice to also get started reloading. I could not have afforded to shoot my Redhawk .44 mag. for years if I did not reload. And, that was before ammo prices started rocketing upwards.
Plus, with reloading you can customize loads for different uses.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:28 PM   #25
gak

+1 Ruger Vaquero - as in the original large frame (only way a fixed sight Ruger .44 Mag has come) - made for about ten years and available in all Colt-like barrel lengths if you look around.
Blue/faux case hardened frame combo or polished stainless. They are essentially fixed sight Super Blackhawks.
Pros:
- Ruger durability
- Colt sixgun looks in a slightly larger, heavier frme befitting the .44 Mag
- Full "six up" capacity--safe with transfer bar.
Cons:
- no longer made
- in stock form, the cylinder indexing over-travels the chamber-to-the-loading port making re-loading (or ejecting cases) a bit more tedious vs the current Flattop and New Vaquero design, Colts, USFAs and Colt-patterned imports. Free spin kits re available which rectify the chamber over-travel however. As suggested, these kits do not "stop" at all on their own.

As far as new: fixed sight .44 Mag, look at Uberti Callahan, avilable with a unique (to the Colt pattern) 6" barrel--the length I've most often seen them in--and fluteless cylinder like the Super Blackhwk. IIRC, a 4-3/4" barrel is also available. Also unique 1860 Army grip, which is slightly longer than the 1851 Navy used on most Colt SAA-patterned guns. (The Callahan is also available in adjustable flattop style target sights). I have seen these at Bass Pro Shops and elsewhere. All blue (no cch)--like the recent years' New Vaquero (and all years' Blackhawk) line.
Pros:
- Colt Sixgun feel and looks (other than unique 6" barrel) with the "requisite" hammer mounted firing pin and Colt four-click hammer.
- Army grip for larger hands with "pinky under" issue
- Ubertis have come a long way' wouldn't worry about durability/problems. Still, if intending on regularly shooting "super heavy" loads, I'd lean toward the Ruger.
- nice one piece walnut grips
- availble new
Cons:
- despite built in "safety," it's not a transfer bar, IIRC, and I would only load 5 - leaving empty chamber under the resting hammer
- see "super heavy loads" above.

Both are slick pieces.

Last edited by gak; December 29, 2012 at 05:02 PM.