The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 3, 2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Wolfeye

lightweight carry belt?

I'm trying to cut back on the weight of my whole carry system: gun, holster, and belt. I've got the first two figured out - an m&p 340 and a FIST IWB. Can anybody recommend a lightweight, yet supportive belt?
Old February 3, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
rickdavis81

I have a wilderness tactical belt that I use. I carry a xd45c in either a don hume iwb or pancake. You can get the wilderness in either lined or unlined. I've had the unlined for over a year and love it. Might have to get a larger size due to gravitational forces.
Old February 3, 2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Japle

Wilderness Ring belt with the nylon insert. Light and stiff.
Old February 3, 2009, 11:39 PM   #4
armedandsafe

Once every ten years or so, I buy a leather, 1 3/4" belt with the zipper inside money belt. I put ten bills inside the money compartment and this stiffens it considerably.

Lately, I've had to buy them a little more often, as they seem to shrink as I get older.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 4, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
The Great Mahoo

If its for regular wear, as opposed to a duty belt or anything, I just wear a thick leather belt. I picked up 2 (one brown, one black) from Tractor Supply a few months ago which are nice and thick, but not overly heavy. They look great with jeans, but are a little too rugged to wear with dress clothes, thanks to the large buckles and grommitted holes.
Old February 4, 2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Wolfeye

The Wilderness Tactical belts are interesting; I do a bit of off-trail hiking and occasionally have found myself wanting some rappelling equipment, but have never thought it would be worth toting along a whole set of gear "just in case". It might be worth adding to my hiking gear, and it seems like it could double as a OC belt.

I'll try using my normal belt. The last time I tried that, it literally fell apart at the seams after a few weeks. I used to have a money belt, too, but it wore out after a decade of use.

Good info! Thanks.
Old February 4, 2009, 03:24 PM   #7
The Great Mahoo

Look around for work-grade belts. I forget the company of my two, but they are fairly recognizable as such. They are two-ply leather, and think enough that I can't bend htem much from top to bottom. I think I spent a total of about $40 on mine, though I remember the brown being a tad more expensive than the black....for some reason.