The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 31, 2016, 03:34 PM   #1
rcmark

Looking for a Remington 700 in .223 replacement barrel

The goal is to shoot prairie dogs at 200 to 300 yards.
Has to shoot moa or preferably less.

My spec's are:
.223 in 1/9 twist preferred but could go 1/10 or 1/8
22 - 24" regular not bull or varmint.
Has to have threaded 1/2"-28 tpi tip.

Would like one with similar dimensions (except for length) to the original barrel.
Remington 700 SPS threaded tip barrel measurements:
Length 20"
Diameter at receiver 1.3"
Diameter at tip just before the threads .75"
Diameter in middle 10" from tip .77"

What barrel would you recommend?
Old May 31, 2016, 04:10 PM   #2
Paul B.

Well I like Douglas barrels myself but there are many barrel makers. Shine, Brux and Lothar Walther come to mind. The thing is to find a competent gunsmith to do the work. As you are in Arizona, you might want to contact the Harry Lawson Company in Tucson. They've rebarreled several rifles for me and they've all been very accurate.

Harry Lawson Co.
3328 N. Richey Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85716
Ph: (520) 326-1117

Won't hurt to give them call for a quote.
Paul B.
Old June 1, 2016, 09:11 AM   #3
taylorce1

Go to a barrel makers web site and look at their contour list. Find he one that most closely matches what you want, and order that one in the twist and finish you want. You can also order a custom contour barrel, but most barrel makers have a very long wait time right now.
Old June 1, 2016, 11:47 AM   #4
cw308

Sent my Rem. 700 to Accurate Ordnance for rebarrel , blueprint & bed the stock 4 weeks from door to door. Very happy with their work, great company to deal with. Give them a call. Did you check out 6.5 Creedmoor, that's my next rebarrel.
Old June 1, 2016, 12:09 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Not bull or varmint isn't likely to be sub-MOA. However, what's your budget? And you do know it takes more than just a barrel?
A 3/4" muzzle(not tip) diameter isn't a "regular" barrel either. Neither is a 1.3"
breech diameter. Each manufacturer has their own idea, but Krieger, for example, says .75" muzzle is a Bull barrel and their standard breech is 1.250". Runs around $325.
Old June 3, 2016, 01:39 PM   #6
CLC

Op, curious what grain bullets your shooting?
Old June 3, 2016, 02:07 PM   #7
Dufus

Quote:
Not bull or varmint isn't likely to be sub-MOA
Why not?
Old June 3, 2016, 04:25 PM   #8
RC20

Criterion could have what you want in stock (Accurate Barrel .com I believe) , X-Caliber,

I would change it to a Remage and then you can do your own (or smith for almost nothing). Often new barrels are available for that system without a 13 week wait.

Shilen is solid, McGowan I think is back to snuff, some of the other listed ones are super high end and only if you want to shoot .250 at 1000 yds!
Old June 4, 2016, 08:43 AM   #9
lewwetzel

Take a look at the relatively-new X-Caliberbrand: Accurate, and reasonably priced from what I've read/heard.
Old June 4, 2016, 10:32 PM   #10
reynolds357

If you are going to use a standard contour barrel for chunking lead at varmints, I recommend you buy a premium barrel. The perfect thin contour barrels will be as accurate as Bull or Varmint, but the lower to mid end stuff will not make you happy when it gets hot.

My last 25 or so builds have all been Lilja. I think that at the moment, they have the best barrel, many would disagree.
Old June 5, 2016, 10:57 AM   #11
MJFlores

Not to try to change your plans but, is the action already barreled in the cartridge you want? I've found you can achieve the accuracy you want using a factory barrel with a trigger replacement and a good bedding job. Just a thought to save you some time and money. A custom barrel will set you back a few hundred plus chambering and install but that can be done easily down the road if you choose not to now. I like Kreiger barrels (https://www.kriegerbarrels.com/) quite a lot. Rather than worry too much about contour, if you order the blank and have it chambered and threaded for your receiver it's really not much work to have the smith contour the barrel for your stock so you can leave sufficient "meat" on it and still be floated without having to hog out your existing stock. To keep the cost down on that sort of job, I'd order a stainless blank and bead blast it after...it's a nice quick, matte stainless finish thats durable and inexpensive to do. Of course all this assumes you have a local gunsmith to go to. If not, sending the whole rifle to a good smith will get it all done for you. One consideration to make here is, if the smith will do it...is have a sizing die made at the same time so the same reamer that cuts the chamber cuts the die too. You'll get excellent brass life and may squeeze out a little more accuracy potential from your custom rig.
Old June 7, 2016, 10:03 AM   #12
criterionbarrels

The folks over at Northland Shooters Supply or Accurate Barrels may have something in stock that will alleviate the need to wait for a custom barrel to be spun up. If you have any questions about configuration options you're always more than welcome to give us a call.

-Josh
Old June 8, 2016, 12:35 PM   #13
tobnpr

^^^
Hey, Josh...nice to see you poke your head out again- you should come here more often

Actually, the OP has contacted me, and I did suggest your Remage option because of his short time frame if he wanted to DIY.
www.biggorillagunworks.com