The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
j.chappell

Burris Scopes

Does anyone have experience with the Burris Signature Series? These are the early pre-Fullfield II scopes.

I was considering picking one up in a 6-24 but am a little leery of the quality of the optics as I am not familiar with them.

If anyone has any knowledge of these please drop a line.

J.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
math teacher

I have an original Burris Fullfield. My brother-in-law has a Fullfield II made in the Philippines. My buddy has a Signature which I believe was made in the USA. All are good optics for the money with the Signature being the best.
Old April 29, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Pahoo

Good scopes

I currently have one in service that has provided me with good performance. Have to admit that it is mounted on a .22LR. I do like these scopes and did not know they were that old. Oh well !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old April 29, 2013, 06:53 PM   #4
PVL

I had a Burris Signature on a .338 Winchester magnum that never had any problems, it worked just fine.
Old April 29, 2013, 08:59 PM   #5
reynolds357

The signature is nothing like a Fulfield II. The signature is an almost high end optic. Its definitely not entry level. I have several of them on hunting rifles and like them. I tried one on my 1000 yard rifle and the group was terrible. If you are not planning on using them for benchrest, they are great. The warranty is good, but dealing with Burris customer service will raise your blood pressure.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:59 PM   #6
math teacher

I sent a 1976 Fullfield in for repair with a frozen power ring, my fault. They were great. Fixed it quickly and no charge.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:19 AM   #7
Nathan

The signature is the sporting spec of the XTR. When I bought my XTR, it had the clearest image and truest color rendition of any optic I could find to look through in town.

Burris is a good name in optics and they will stand behind it.
Old April 30, 2013, 01:18 PM   #8
hammie

I always preferred burris scopes, although on the older ones, the turret locations sometimes presented a mounting challenge. It seemed like a burris offered the same quality as a leupold (between the comparable product lines) for about 50 to 75$ less.

However, today's technology and competition has erased many differences and I don't think there is that much difference between any of the brands at comparable price and quality levels. There really aren't any bad scopes out there. Some are just a little better than others.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:38 PM   #9
reynolds357

I have an XTR and several signatures. I see no common features among them. If anything the Black Diamond would be the sporting version of the XTR, but I don't really even believe that is the case. The XTR and the signature are not even remotely the same scope. They are not even distant cousins.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Nathan

Quote:
reynolds357 I have an XTR and several signatures. I see no common features among them. If anything the Black Diamond would be the sporting version of the XTR, but I don't really even believe that is the case. The XTR and the signature are not even remotely the same scope. They are not even distant cousins.
Yea, you are right....I was thinking black diamond....
Old April 30, 2013, 11:19 PM   #11
hammie

I hadn't looked at the burris product line up for a while. Maybe I missed them somewhere on the drop down menus, but it appears the signature and black diamond series are gone.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:07 AM   #12
sholling

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
The signature is nothing like a Fulfield II. The signature is an almost high end optic. Its definitely not entry level. I have several of them on hunting rifles and like them.
^This^

The Fullfield II line are decent scopes but just a step up from entry level. The Signature series on the other had have exceptional optics and compete more on the level of a Leopold VX-2 or VX3. But I second the opinion that dealing with Burris support is an exercise in frustration.
Old May 1, 2013, 01:11 PM   #13
dgludwig

I've had good experiences with my Burris scopes and, for that reason, I haven't had any occasion to "test" their customer service. Burris scopes offer good optics, reliable adjustments and waterproof performance for an affordable price.
One annoying (and potentially frustrating) drawback many older Burris scopes had in common, however, was that their adjustment turrents were located so far "off center" that it left little "wiggle-room" when it came to installing the rings to the scope when trying to achieve the proper distance to mount the scope to suit the individual shooter. I've had to use offset ring mounts on a couple of my rifles to get the right distance for me.

Last edited by dgludwig; May 2, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 01:16 PM   #14
publius

I have a fullfield on a .338 and like it a lot. I think it compares to the Leupold VX1.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:16 PM   #15
steveNChunter

Burris is the best value for the money in scopes IMHO. YMMV

I prefer the FFII to some scopes that cost double the price. Never owned a signature though. I'd be willing to bet that its a scope you would be pleased with.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #16
MOshooter65202

I have a Burris Signature Series 1.5-6x40mm with the illuminated Electro Dot mounted on a DPMS LR308 AP4.The scope has been flawless held zero and the compact size really works well with the carbine.