The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2008, 02:56 PM   #1
jager

J frame pocket holster help!!

I have tried a number of pocket holsters with my S&W J frame revolver . I am sure this has been hashed over many times here, but I'm new here. I have tried a number of different makers . The fabric holsters fall apart or distort in short order. The leather holsters seem too large and bulky and look and feel as if I have a large book in my front pocket, . I am of average build and weigh 180lbs. I wear jeans most of the time. Am I doomed to using a fanny pack which I hate ??
Old December 3, 2008, 03:05 PM   #2
john in jax

Jeans are not easy on fabric holsters, can you switch to a Dockers style of pants? Have you thought about part time IWB and part time pocket carry?
Old December 3, 2008, 03:06 PM   #3
mavracer

try a desantis nemasis or lots of people here rave about mika holsters.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 3, 2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Wiskey_33

DeSantis.......I've got one and dislike it. Doesn't seem to fit in my pocket very well, and keeps the butt up on the edge of my pocket.

jeans.
Old December 3, 2008, 03:17 PM   #5
MartyG

I've been using an Ace (www.acecase.com) IWB leather holster for about 6 months now. It's wearing a little, but at $10/each, I can replace it every year or two. They are slim, hold the pistol firmly, and mine is "tuckable."
Old December 3, 2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Luis

J frame holsters

If these can help.
(my personal choice :Bianchi)
Luis

[IMG]http:[/IMG]
[IMG]http:URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2187131820103886237zcQpVy][/URL][/IMG]
Old December 3, 2008, 04:29 PM   #7
RamSlammer

The best I have found so far is a Mika's round cut. It's made of a naugahide type substance with an internal plastic stiffener to keep open for reholstering and a "grip strip" to keep in place. Handmade by an ex-policeman for a very reasonable price.

Here's a link . . . http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/
and photo . . .
Old December 3, 2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Don P

pocket holsters

Most of the pocket holsters will not work well in jeans. As stated Dockers, Cargo styles and 5.11 pants will do well with pocket carry. Jeans usualy fit snug on the thighs and thus harder to conceal. My dockers can conceal my Glock 36 in a pocket holster or my Cargo's. The Glock 36 is only 1.9oz heavier than my J-Frame 649. Style of pants will determine what you can pocket carry
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 3, 2008, 04:38 PM   #9
RamSlammer

Cabela's own brand relaxed fit jeans seem to work well for pocket carry. They have huge front pockets with wider openings than typical.
Old December 3, 2008, 04:50 PM   #10
smee78

+1 desantis nemasis
Old December 3, 2008, 10:29 PM   #11
madcratebuilder

A forum member here, randyc74, makes some nice pocket holdters. He has a web site, www.bulldogleathercompany.com
I'm very happy with mine, fits my jeans just fine.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:43 PM   #12
trayzor

Another vote for the Mika.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Casimer

+1 Mika

He'll customize the contour and dimensions if you need, though this is a little extra.
Old December 4, 2008, 07:48 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Or, just face the music that pocket carry of a j-frame just won't work for you. I carry a S&W Airweight and regardless of pants type, it always looks like I've got a gun in my pocket. I've given up on pocket carry for my j-frame and carry 99.9% of the time OWB. IWB is also a great option and my j-frame works very well in my Bianchi Professional 100 IWB holster.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:03 AM   #15
indiandave

Another vote for Mika. It works and it's cheap. Don't leave home with out it.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:24 AM   #16
biggfoot44

For "most" people, and "most" normal jeans don't work well for pocket carry. If you want try some jeans with particularly deep pockets, such as from Duluth trading, but for the most part try slightly different pants. The Cargo jeans from Wrangler work well for me ( not in cargo pocket, the egular pockets are looser and larger) , still look like jeans. Also available in black, kakhi, etc.
I use Neminess w/ sm fr Taraus just fine. Any soft holster will wear, So what, the're cheap enough to replace.
The other inherent reality for pocket carry is that oversize grips are ruled out. I use the factory ( Uncle Mike) Boot grip, and this is as large as practicle for pants pockets.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:39 AM   #17
David Armstrong

Quote:
I wear jeans most of the time.
That is your biggest problem. If you are wedded to your jeans (as I used to be) find someone that does alterations and have them deepen the pocket by about 1.5". I used to specify mine be done in washable suede. Makes all the difference, IMO.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've been using the Uncle Mike's neoprene pocket holsters for my PT-22 and my J frame airweight 042 for years.

They hold up well and aren't too bulky.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 4, 2008, 11:10 AM   #19
mulletguter59

I got one of Andrews pocket holsters for my 442 a couple months ago and reall like it.

He was at a show where I got the 442 so ,no wait. I have a cowboy rig that he made for me 7 or 8 years ago and it has really worked out well.

Andrews http://www.andrewsleather.com/
Old December 4, 2008, 11:18 AM   #20
tomgun

black hawk

on my jframe s&w 340 i use a blackhawk size 8 IWB for pocket carry in jeans
as well as IWB. 18/7 2 years no wear. http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Ini...rap,155,34.htm
local gun shops may carry them as well...$10-$20.00
Old December 4, 2008, 11:59 AM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
rave about mika holsters.
I ordered one. Got a call back from him -- he's 8 to 10 weeks out on orders. Just so you know.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 4, 2008, 06:46 PM   #22
adk

A pocket holster that clamps onto the gun somewhat, and retains it, such that the holster and gun are like one unit. Like the Kramer Pocket Holster. The gun stays in the holster, even in loose pockets, and the holster stays in the pocket when you draw. The Kramer holster has a flat panel that looks like a wallet. It costs about $85. I've got one for the 11-ounce 340PD and one for the stainless 640-3. When you put the gun away it's held by the holster, as one unit.

I used to have a pocket holster that did NOT retain the gun, and one day getting into a car with loose fitting slacks, it dumped out onto the seat. Not the holster. Just the bare gun. You could lose a gun that way.

----------

Last edited by adk; December 5, 2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old December 4, 2008, 08:42 PM   #23
DAdams

Mika

Roundcut +1.

The lead time is long right now. Hence get a DeSantis Nemesis to tide you over until the Mika arrives. I have both and use the Mika almost exclusively.
Old December 4, 2008, 08:48 PM   #24
docgunner

Galco all the way, stow'n go and IWB is what I use for my 360
Go to their website and search for J frame holsters and you'll find several to choose from.
Old December 5, 2008, 03:31 PM   #25
rdrancher

6'0" 215(ish)lbs here. I wear jeans about 99.9% of the time, and pocket carry most of the time too. I have jeans from Carhartt, Levis, Wranglers, Faded Glory and C.E.Schmidt, to name a few. Every one of them has pockets of different shapes and sizes. I use an Uncle Mike's #3 and Mika Round-cut most of the time. The Mika square cut keeps the 642 oriented better in some pockets, and the D.M Bullard works for warm-up pants and Dockers. I could get away with one pocket holster...but why?

rd