The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1
joneb

Inverted primer installation ?

Well this is a 1st for me, after reloading thousands opon thousands of rounds, I installed a primer bassakkwards I'm loading with a RSBS Rock Chucker press I'll wear my safty glasses and ear protection for extractment
Is there any thing I need to worry about when poppin this primer out ?
Old April 27, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2
hoghunting

Saturate the open primer with oil or WD40 and push the primer out while it is still wet with oil. This should prevent it from firing.
Old April 27, 2006, 11:08 PM   #3
T-Bear

Personaly I just put my decap die in and push it out slowly. I have used this method myself and for other reloaders in my area. Just remember to wear eye and hearing protection just in case. Roughly I have done at least 40 this way with no problem.
Old April 28, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4
joneb

Thanks, I forgot about the WD-40 trick, I learned it the hard way deer hunting with my Dad in WI . It was cold about 10 deg. F the action on my Marlin 30-30 was sticky so I dowsed it with WD Later that day I had a shot at a fork and the gun missfired later my Dad explained to me the error of my way.
Old April 28, 2006, 04:24 AM   #5
caz223

Wear your safety glasses just in case, and go slowly, but I've never had one pop while taking it out.
Old April 28, 2006, 09:37 AM   #6
Russ5924

I have done a few just even steady pressure untill it comes out.If it starts to take way to much pressure just get rid of it.
Old April 28, 2006, 10:47 AM   #7
joneb

The primer extracted with out a POP I gave'r a little drink of W-D let it sit for about 15 min. Thanks All
Old April 28, 2006, 11:36 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

Glad it worked!

Jibjab--Good that it worked for you!

As far as oil killing primers, it seems that it works reliably to do so only when we don't want the primers killed.

When we're shooting at The Jordan Buck, oil will completely kill a primer if a can of WD-40 or Rem-Oil has ever been within 3 feet of the gun or ammunition.

When we have live primers to dispose of, that we WANT killed, nothing seems to be 100% reliable except setting off each one with a hammer.

There were some tests run on this a while back. Oil killed 70 or 80% of the test primers IIRC.

It's one of the provisions of Murphy's Law.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 29, 2006, 01:39 AM   #9
Crosshair

I just slowly punch it out with a decaping die. Seting of a primer in an empty case is no big deal, a little pop and that is it.
Old April 29, 2006, 09:00 AM   #10
JDG

Call me cheap, but when I invert one, now and again, I just slowly decap and put it in right. Never had one not go boom.
Old April 29, 2006, 09:28 AM   #11
caz223

+1
As long as I know why there's a dent in the primer, it doesn't bother me.
Old May 1, 2006, 05:05 AM   #12
silicon wolverine

I had one pop in a 9mm luger case. I saoked just like you guys said, and when i eased it out (it was a milsurp case) BANG Scared the bejesus out of the wife but didnt hurt anyhting. first one i ever detonated. Ive pushed out a dozen or more since with no trouble.

SW
Old May 1, 2006, 08:50 AM   #13
TimRB

"I had one pop in a 9mm luger case. I saoked just like you guys said, and when i eased it out (it was a milsurp case) BANG Scared the bejesus out of the wife but didnt hurt anyhting."

As an experiment I soaked some scrap but primed cases in kerosene for a long time (don't remember how long, but it was several months). One day I pulled them out, wiped them off, and tried firing them in a rifle. Out of a dozen or so, about half did nothing and the rest fizzled and sometimes made a dull pop. I came away thinking that kerosene (and similar) is not a viable way to reliably destroy primers.

Tim
Old May 1, 2006, 09:45 AM   #14
MADISON

Upside Down Primer

This may sound stupid to you but, this is what I would do:
Lube the case, normal. Insert it into the die and lightly tap the ram until the primer falls out.
The other alturnative is to wet the primer with oil. You still need to decap it.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:48 AM   #15
1tomcat

Even if it fires just keep your face away from directly above the case and it will do no harm , have had this happen several times
Old May 4, 2006, 03:31 PM   #16
gwalchmai

I've had to do a few. Slow, steady pressure got them out without a problem. I'd avoid tapping them, though.
Old May 5, 2006, 02:19 PM   #17
Rico567

As several people have said, if you just ease the primer out with a regular size/decap die, that should work. If for some reason you just don't want to do that, Lee sells (for very cheap, a few bucks from Midway) decapping punches/bases in small and large sizes. You just set the case on the base, and tap the primer out using a hammer, putting the punch down through the flash hole. If the primer does happen to go, the explosion is wholly contained within the heavy metal base, and the only result will be the surprised look on your face.

- Mark Twain
Old May 5, 2006, 03:56 PM   #18
BigO01

Well I fail to see why you have to have that case the very second you find your mistake .

I have done this a few times and let them sit for a couple of days soaking in oil and then run them in my sizing die after cleaning all the oil off of the case .

Never had one go pop yet .
Old May 5, 2006, 04:39 PM   #19
Leftoverdj

Folks, it ain't an atomic bomb. If it goes off, the worst it'll do if you are wearing eye protection is singe your fingers.