The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 20, 2012, 09:46 AM   #1
warbirdlover

If I was a Violator

I'd get one of those infrared sensors like they use in all these paranormal shows on tv. I could see them coming! Right now I never know which direction to watch. If I look out one way they'll be a deer sneaking behind me etc etc. It gets pretty frustrating.

Of course these are illegal for obvious reasons.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Panfisher

Are they illegal? Maybe so but in MO I am not really sure. It would be a pain, having to point that thing around all the time, more movement etc., batteries would go bad, and it would make it impossible for me to take naps.

Now one like they use on the "where is bigfoot" shows, that they put on a remote control helicopter would be pretty handy, make a pass over my stand area, if nothing shows up back to sleep!!
Old September 20, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Jo6pak

With the wi-fi remote cameras, couldn't you just place a bunch around your area and watch to see where the deer bed down before you even leave the house??
Old September 20, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
bswiv

"""it would make it impossible for me to take naps."""

What he said right there........!!
Old September 20, 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
buck460XVR

To most of us that hunt, it's not the kill, but the hunt that keeps us in the woods. Once the challenge of the hunt is gone, it is no longer a hunt but a shoot. When one needs modern technology and electronic gadgets to be successful instead of skill and woodsmanship, it goes from being a sport to being a joke. Funny tho, especially when it comes to deer, how the pressure to produce and pressure from peers turns many a sportsman into a violator. There is a big difference tho between the hunting of game animals and the control of nuisance animals/predators and for the latter, IMHO, anything is fair.

Last edited by buck460XVR; September 20, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
arch308

''It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"
About the only "new" technology I use anymore is the timer on my feeder. I even got rid of my trail camera. It doesn't tell me much more that's actually useful than footprints and droppings. If I'm gonna sit in my stand I don't even bother with camo anymore.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
warbirdlover

Quote:
"""it would make it impossible for me to take naps."""

What he said right there........!!
Good point!!
Old September 20, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
bigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch308 View Post
''It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"
About the only "new" technology I use anymore is the timer on my feeder. I even got rid of my trail camera. It doesn't tell me much more that's actually useful than footprints and droppings. If I'm gonna sit in my stand I don't even bother with camo anymore.
Thrill of the chase is sitting over a feeder. I don't think you understand the concept...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 21, 2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Jo6pak

Warbird, just get one of those helmet mounted rearview mirrors that bicyclist wear. Proverbial eyes in the back of your head
Old September 21, 2012, 05:58 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
Thrill of the chase is sitting over a feeder. I don't think you understand the concept...
Some folks, for whatever reason, are less able or willing to do as much chasing as others.

Quote:
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job.

-Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting
Some people have different "extras" than others, I guess......

Me, maybe I'm not a true "Sportsman", as I will not refuse a perfectly good dead deer if it were given to me, but I enjoy planning the hunt, walking in before daybreak, listening to the world come alive.... I'll try for my own, as well!
Old September 21, 2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Put a lip-zip on this garbage about, "You're not really a hunter if you do it differently from the way I like."
Old September 21, 2012, 10:37 PM   #12
Jo6pak

I think many folks missed the tongue-in-cheek spirit of the OP.

Or, I read it wrong
Old September 22, 2012, 07:52 AM   #13
PawPaw

I used to do the fair chase bit, but deer run a lot faster than I can and I've picked up a few pounds over the years. I much prefer sitting in a box stand, watching a crossing, near a creek, with a feeder. I've also got my smartphone, my tunes, and my thermos. A comfortable chair and a propane heater. Once I get ensconced in my stand, I don't much care if syrup goes to six bits a sop.

I shoot the odd deer occasionally, mainly old does and weird little spike bucks that come around (we've got a genetic problem on the lease, and I'm trying to thin them out). I really think that if a magnificent 12 pointer came out, I'd try for a photo and let him walk. We need his genetics, and when I'm eating fried backstrap it's hard to tell which deer it came from.

I used to duck hunt with an old man who would pour his coffee, light his pipe, and remark "if the ducks don't come here, they won't get shot." He never picked up a duck call, and only shot the ones trying to land in the blocks. I've adopted his hunting style, but adapted it to whitetail deer.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 22, 2012, 08:06 AM   #14
JimPage

To each his/her own on what equipment he needs for hunting. Personally I think most of the hype about camo, sensors, etc. is just from smart marketing, but if that's your bag, it's fine with me. I just love sneaking thru the woods with my wool hunting togs, or sitting on a stand. A day in the woods for me includes all that. Equipment is a minor part of the hunt.

I usually use an old Remington 30-06 pump rifle bought used 50 years ago, and it looks it. I have nicer guns, but they are a different hobby from hunting to this old geezer!

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 22, 2012, 08:37 AM   #15
gaseousclay

Quote:
To most of us that hunt, it's not the kill, but the hunt that keeps us in the woods. Once the challenge of the hunt is gone, it is no longer a hunt but a shoot. When one needs modern technology and electronic gadgets to be successful instead of skill and woodsmanship, it goes from being a sport to being a joke.
agreed. I think it also takes the fun out of hunting imo. why even bother if you're going to have an advantage that wasn't there before technology took over? if thousands of hunters could hunt deer successfully in years past there's no reason why hunters today can't do the same thing.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:23 AM   #16
shortwave

Right behind ya PawPaw...
...and more power to ya.

Try to stay in the best shape I can but age , old injuries and arthritis are starting to take their toll.
Currently mostly use a climbing stand for bow hunting but can see myself in a box blind shortly. And buying stock in "Aleve" is on the agenda as well.

Never-the-less, the 'spark' and enjoyment of being in the woods is still strong and I'll adapt as things see fit.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I never liked carrying a bunch of gear of whatever sort. Wide-open country, binoculars are good, but for woods hunting I just go with pretty much a minimum. Sneaky-snaking has always been the most fun way to hunt, even though it's not as successful as sitting on a hillside watching deer trails in the evening.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:03 PM   #18
ZeroJunk

Personally, I enjoy a good nap while hunting. Every now and again I will wake up and look around. Hopefully I won't see anything and have to do all that gutting and stuff messing up a perfectly good afternoon.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

There may well be something to what I've read about "hunter's doze". More than once I've dozed off for a nap and awakened to see a buck not far off. Sometimes worth shooting, sometimes not, but still rather entertaining: "Well, would you look at what came visiting!"
Old September 23, 2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Jo6pak

Maybe it's because you are very still as you sleep...or maybe it's the snoring attracting bucks that think it's a bucksnort
Old September 23, 2012, 11:34 AM   #21
shortwave

Have dozed off so many times over the years in my Tree Lounger I've been thinking of installing a seat belt.
But when that morning sun gets beaten down on ya on a beautiful Sat. morning and you've put in 50-65 hrs. work that previous week, well...you know the rest.

And yes, have actually had deer wake me up with the rustling of leaves etc.
Old September 23, 2012, 11:53 AM   #22
cnimrod

for me, Half the fun of hunting

or more than half, is the preparation.
In addition to deer hunting dad loved photography, I remember as a kid him building a rifle stock complete with a trigger to mount and activate his camera. That way he'd be able to scout around prior to the season and when that big buck jumped up in front of him BANG! he'd shoot a picture of it.
At least that was the theory. I don't remember it working all that well- but like i said getting ready was half the fun

as for infrared well you certainly can't (for deer) put it on your gun and shoot something in the dark but I can "see" it being a lot of fun for scouting around.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:58 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

While it seems sorta unfair, I doubt that it's illegal to use some sort of sensing device(s) around a blind or stand during legal hunting hours. Infra-red or motion detector...
Old September 24, 2012, 12:27 PM   #24
tahunua001

in a lot of states night vision scopes are authorized for coyote hunting...that sounds like it would be a blast to try out but for hunting deer I wouldn't like that much, having to find the thing, gut it out in the dark and proceed to drag it back in the dark..... no thank you

infrared also just seems like a waste of money, heavy underbrush will conceal the animals heat signatures anyway.

in my state however with the exception of illuminated reticules, and electronic calls(predators only) no battery powered hunting equipment may be used at all for hunting purposes.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:50 PM   #25
Double Naught Spy

I don't see anything wrong with such devices for deer in WI.
http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0431.pdf

It does not appear to be a problem for Idaho either, so long as the electronic device isn't used while attached to a firearm other than illuminated scopes), though you cannot use electronic calls for deer, but can for certain other big game. You could use sensors, it would appear. The battery powered regulation seems to only apply to what is attached to the firearm or calls.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/...es/bgRules.pdf
Maybe you can find where such is limited?

Quote:
in a lot of states night vision scopes are authorized for coyote hunting...that sounds like it would be a blast to try out but for hunting deer I wouldn't like that much, having to find the thing, gut it out in the dark and proceed to drag it back in the dark..... no thank you

infrared also just seems like a waste of money, heavy underbrush will conceal the animals heat signatures anyway.
Infrared works better in heavy brush than night vision. I have both. Night vision requires both light and contrast to see things. A well camo'd animal in daylight is well camo'd with night vision save for the possibility of eyeshine if you are using an illuminator. With thermal, animals glow. A hog concealed behind 2 feet of tangled briar that you can't see with a flashlight, normal eyesight in daylight, or night vision (not enough light or too much light reflected from the foliage from your illuminator just like with a flashlight) can often be spotted readily by the bright white glow showing through breaks in the foliage. Thermal vision is very cool.