The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 15, 2010, 01:47 PM   #26
Scorch

I remember about 30 years back, the late Finn Aagard wrote an article on hunting feral cattle along the Rio Grande. His rifles of choice were a 375 H&H and a 458 Win Mag, both of which were left over from his Africa days. He was quite enthusiastic about the hunt.

Where legal, taking feral cattle is usually done to get a few head to take to market. The great Texas cattle drives of yore were done in just such a way. But laws change, and there are laws against taking other people's property.

I used to know a man who would round up and sell feral cattle in Nevada with the full knowledge of the local game warden (feral animals are not covered under game laws) and BLM authorities (BLM doesn't care a whit, they just lease land). He was a rancher, and he could spot ear marks and brands pretty well. Before he could sell them, he had the local USDA brand inspector go over the cattle to make sure he wasn't "converting" (i.e. taking someone else's property for your own gain). If you decide to go maverick hunting, I would strongly recommend you take a course in marking and brand identification and get a lawyer on retainer.
Old July 15, 2010, 02:02 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

I thought cows were domesticated because they were the dumbest laziests beasts on earth. I thought even most wild would let you get REAL close without reacting. Almost identical to buffalo.
Old July 15, 2010, 02:21 PM   #28
Barber2678

Slam,

Why aren't you taking those cows to the sale? Seems more practical than just shooting them.

Used to hang out in Vernon a good bit with the Campsey's and Wright's (think bacon).
Old July 15, 2010, 05:00 PM   #29
sc928porsche

Cattle, for the most part are docile creatures. Some breeds are agressive however. The longhorn is one of them. The spanish also have a breed that is quite agressive. I suppose one of those raised in the wild might be a little challenging. As for the greater majority of them, the challenge is going to be similar to rabbit hunting. Do keep in mind however, that any animal the weighs over 1000 lbs has the potential to become dangerous. Better pack something better than a .22. A good deer cartridge should do well.
Old July 15, 2010, 11:11 PM   #30
wyobohunter

Quote:
I thought cows were domesticated because they were the dumbest laziests beasts on earth. I thought even most wild would let you get REAL close without reacting. Almost identical to buffalo.
I beg to differ, at least in my experience.

Exhibit 1: There is a great fun part of rodeo (at least where I come from) called "wild cow milking". A few guys (on foot mind you) have to rope, wrestle down and milk a wild cow. It's a timed event and all it takes is a few drops of milk but it aint' a sport for the faint of heart... folks get hurt.

Exhibit 2: While bow hunting elk in the Savage Run Wilderness (Wyoming) I came across some cows. At first I thought nothing of it and kept on the trail toward them. Then a cow (boss cow?) started staring me down, still I pressed on. Next she lowered her head and started walking toward me, at this point I thought "old girl must think I've brought some hay". Finally she started to charge. Mind you it was't exactly a cape buffalo charge but, being only armed with a long bow I made it a point to get behind a tree and make a wide loop.

Exhibit 3: "Almost identical to buffalo". Are you serious? I will refrain from comment
Old July 16, 2010, 11:06 AM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A few generations of breeding among feral cattle and you wind up with a whole different sort of critter than Ol' Bossy. And even free-roaming range cattle can be at least mildly hostile toward a man on foot.

The feral cattle along the Rio Grande--and admittedly, there aren't many--are "owned" only in the sense that the particular landowner might lay claim. As usual, however, in the event of an injury to a person, "No, I don't know who that stray belongs to."

By and large, a hunting deal on a Texas ranch means that you've been sold the right to trespass. Whatever happens to you out in the pasture is your problem, not the rancher's. That's as it should be, of course; if you don't know what you're doing, stay the heck at home...
Old July 16, 2010, 04:59 PM   #32
FrontSight

You can legally hunt them in Hawaii...

There are videos on YouTube of feral cattle hunts, and you can book guided hunts for them with professional guides there. Pretty thick forest and wiley animals, by the way.
Old July 19, 2010, 12:06 AM   #33
FrontSight

Here's a youtube video of a feral cattle hunt on Hawaii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_3VX...has_verified=1
Old July 19, 2010, 04:51 AM   #34
Todd1700

Quote:
There are videos on YouTube of feral cattle hunts, and you can book guided hunts for them with professional guides there.
I had never heard of this until recently but I actually saw part of a show where a guy killed a large bull on a pay hunt in Mexico. Weird!
Old July 19, 2010, 07:56 AM   #35
Rifleman1776

Only cow hunting I have done was when one of my cattle went through the fence and wandered half way across the county. I would 'hunt' them afoot with a rope and stick as my weapons. Often the briars and ticks really won.