The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
MontanaS

Musket stock warped. Need help

The stock for my Richmond replica is warped to the right. It came out of the box that way but when I got it twelve years ago I was so new to shooting that I never new it posed a problem. Needless to say it eventually caused me to have to manufacture a new rear sight out of an L bracket just to hit point of aim at 50 yds. I have now, after many years decided that I want to fix the problem right. I have removed the old hard shell finish that Armi Sport had put on it (Ugly to say the least). The warp to the right begins at the first tear \ barrel band where the ramrod enters into the belly of the stock. Can I steam that section and then clamp it down with clamps in such a way that it brings the stock back to the left? If so, how long should I steam it before clamping?
Old January 27, 2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Smokin_Gun

Well you can do as they did back in the day, and find a crotch of a tree and bend the barrel back.
Or simular fix, take it to a gunsmith or get use of a press hydralic...use a dial indicator and straighten the barrel as you would a set of bent Motorcycle fork legs. Then slug the barrel and lap if needed.

Best I can give ya,

SG

Quote:
SORRY I READ BARREL WARPED, WAS LATE
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; January 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old January 27, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Pahoo

Among other hobbies, I am a woodcrafters and have had to straighten warps in wood, before. I have had two stocks that I fixed as well and am somewhat Surprise that with your barrel, in place, it has not brought it back for you. Understand that I am not all that familiar with your piece but the last time I brought one back, I laid it on it's side as is and supported it between sand bags on the underside with the main warped area between the bags. Then added a slight weight on top pushing down on the high spot or area. Two to three pound is plenty and you want to work slowly. I take my time but it really does not take too long. I monitor the position and adjust accordingly. I might even go past the required position and then reseal the finish. The problem all started when this stock was cut on wood that was not properly dried and now wants to return to it's natrual state or dried position. Moisture is what is causing the warp. In both of my cases, the stock stayed in place as long as I kept the barrel in place. The only time I have had to steam, is when I want to get extreme on the bend. If you encounter a twisted piece, that is very difficult to correct. Good luck !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old January 27, 2009, 07:36 PM   #4
MontanaS

I steamed the forend last night, laid it on its right side, clamped the butt down, placed a piece of 1/4" plywood under the front of the forend and c clamped the forend down about 20" back of the front, which brought the front end just back left of straight. Let it sit over night and all day today, unclamped it and "walla" the front end, which was warped to the right is now straight to the point where when I placed the barrel back into the channel there is no longer the left side pressure from the stock that it previously had. I now am going to refinish it and see how she'll shoot. If it does well then I will probably go ahead and glass bed it.
Old January 27, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Pahoo

Well, alright and once you finish it, it should stay. Now it may want to go back somewhat but You can take it back by the method you used. Also, your barrrel should help keep there until it take a new set. Nice work !!

Be Safe !!!