The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 18, 2002, 10:10 AM   #1
KSFreeman

Trigger reset on Colt 1911

Now what have I done? Sometimes I think I could break an anvil with a feather.

This Sat. night I was doing my usual drill when I discovered that a pistol of mine, a Colt Custom 1911, remodeled by Cylinder & Slide, decided to act up. On the last shot the trigger would not reset and the slide would not lock back.

I was using my training mags (Wolff springs and Pach followers) but it also occured in my carry mags (Les Baer 7 rders). I had lubed the weapon on Friday night the night before as I do for all my 1911s and back ups. I use Kellube on the contacts and Kel silicon spray for everywhere else and have been for years. The weather was mid 30s, windy, but not rain or snow. I was shooting Black Hills ammo.

Why the last round? What's wrong? Never had this happen. Gunsmith is on vacation (he should have a pager with me around). Any tips?

Thanks much.
Old February 19, 2002, 06:49 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

If it's only happening on the last round you may be relaxing your grip a little causing the pistol to short cycle but if the slide is going back far enough to cock the hammer then the trigger should still reset. Your sear spring could need adjustment but if it's only happening on the last shot I wouldn't think so. George
Old February 19, 2002, 07:51 AM   #3
KSFreeman

George, thanks much. I'd blame me rather than the poor gun. I thought I had the weak grip thing conquered last summer.

Will shoot it again before it is off to Nebraska.
Old February 21, 2002, 02:53 PM   #4
KSFreeman

Received e-mail from C & S. They pointed to magazine problems.

I used brand new Les Baers that I have for my carry mags. Cleared problem right up. Apparently I had recently rebuilt my training mags, which have seen mucho hours training time, with Pach followers and Wolff springs. I had put the followers in incorrectly (not "flush") which caused the trigger to bind on the last round and slide not to lock back.

Lesson learned: Do not let Kirk Freeman work on your guns.

If I'm learning by making mistakes, I'm quite gifted indeed.
Old February 22, 2002, 06:54 AM   #5
stans

We all learn from our mistakes, at least we should learn from our mistakes. Ok, some of us learn, some of us are a little slow.
Old February 23, 2002, 04:47 AM   #6
Ed Brunner

As my daddy said...

We have to learn from the mistakes of others because we won't live long enough to make them all ourselves.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed