The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Which single stage press
Rock chucker 37 46.25%
Summit 1 1.25%
Big boss 7 8.75%
Other 35 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 14, 2014, 03:35 AM   #26
Brotherbadger

I love my Lee Classic Cast. The thing is built like a tank. I'm not saying the rockchucker sucks(it's a great press too), I just prefer to buy American made. The fact that Lee is right up the road from me helps.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old December 14, 2014, 03:56 AM   #27
Sevens

To address the question of "slop" in the turret press:
It is actually designed to take the slop to the end of it's range, repeatably, so that while the part must be removable due to the design, the slop is eliminated automatically at the end of the motion.

To the original question of a single stage press, I also answer Lee Classic Cast and would like to point out that no other press mentioned thus far comes ready, out of the box, to also load the massive .50 BMG if you also happen to own those expensive, King Kong-sized dies.
Old December 14, 2014, 04:13 AM   #28
Pond, James Pond

I have gleaned from other's posts that what is true for me, seems true for them: That Lee is cheaper than other brands.

Also from what I have read on here, it seems that Lee does just a good a job and so I see no sense in spending more, unless there is a degree of brand loyalty at play.

The OP said that initially Lee was not included because it had already been dismissed. If that is still the case, then ignore this post. If it is back in the game, then my vote goes for "Other": Lee.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; December 14, 2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:47 AM   #29
grumpa72

Like some others here, I LOVE my Lee Classic Turret. Robust, simple, reliable and loads anything from 9mm to 30.06, although I do most rifle work in stages. If I was to start from scratch, I would still buy a Lee Classic Turret.
Old December 14, 2014, 10:12 AM   #30
Shootest

I don’t like the looks of the Lee, Summit is just weird and I see no advantage, Big Boss is nice but a little $, I have to go with the Rock Chucker as I don’t mind the spent primers on the floor and that has an easy fix with a straw anyway.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:13 AM   #31
Clark

The Lee Reloader press is not really good at full length sizing big bottle neck cartridges, but it can do odd jobs like:
1) de capping
2) Lee ram prime
3) Part of a kit to send someone home to reload
4) upside down to form a bullet after seating.

So I bought a fleet of Lee reloader presses, but then I decided that life was too short, so I got a couple RCBS Partner presses made from Aluminium alloy like the Reloader presses, but could actually resize big brass.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 14, 2014, 01:34 PM   #32
berettaprofessor

I have a Lee Breech lock and recently upgraded to a Classic Turret. Couldn't be happier. Have had to do little or no adjusting and either really does collect primers like a dream.
Old December 14, 2014, 02:13 PM   #33
Vance

Quote:
Sevens

To the original question of a single stage press, I also answer Lee Classic Cast and would like to point out that no other press mentioned thus far comes ready, out of the box, to also load the massive .50 BMG if you also happen to own those expensive, King Kong-sized dies.
That is unfair to the RCBS Rockchucker as it also comes with the removable insert that allows for use of the larger dies or standard dies.

While I voted other and then specified the Lee Classic Cast single stage because the OP asked about single stages, If he had asked about turrets, I would have given the Lee Classic Cast Turret as my answer.
Old December 14, 2014, 03:02 PM   #34
Sevens

Then my information is OLD...
When I bought my Lee Classic Cast (October 2007) the Rock Chucker was not able to load the .50 BMG, although I do believe that RCBS did offer another press for that task.

My records also indicate that I got my Classic Cast from Midway... for $66.99.
Old December 14, 2014, 03:17 PM   #35
Vance

Right now at Midway, the lee classic cast is going for $106 and the rcbs rock chucker supreme is going for $136. So not much of a price difference considering.

Yes, the latest version of the rockchucker does have the die bushing. It's all I've seen in rockchuckers so I thought they had always had it.
Old December 14, 2014, 06:47 PM   #36
Average Joe

Lee all the way.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:05 PM   #37
rsnell

co-ax
Old December 14, 2014, 09:10 PM   #38
Sevens

I have used a Rock Chucker in two different locations a couple of different times and for sure, it's a very nice press with an extremely nice feel to it. Money spent on a Rock Chucker is money well spent.

Even still, I like my Classic Cast and that's my pick.
Old December 14, 2014, 09:27 PM   #39
kilimanjaro

Go with the Lee Classic press, and if you want to avoid handling the dies each session, get two of them, and set them up for size and seat side-by-side, working out of a reloading block. Or go with the Lee Turret model, either way is a good setup.

I've got two of the Lee presses set up for BMG, and swap out for Martini-Henry, certainly seems to speed up the work for me. I don't like manipulating dies to make just a dozen rounds to run through the antiques.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:21 PM   #40
Vance

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858...ProductFinding
I bought the Hornady L-N-L die conversion bushing kit and a bunch of bushings to use with my Lee Classic Cast single stage. Very simple, takes 2 seconds to switch dies. Maybe slightly longer to switch calibers when changing the shell holder too.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:32 PM   #41
Woolecox

I voted for the Big Boss because it does every process I need. But, my Co-Ax loads the most accurate ammo of any I have ever owned.

Get yourself a Co-Ax, then anything else will pretty much do for chores like Rx, bullet pulling, etc.
Old December 15, 2014, 12:31 AM   #42
cheezhed

I have both Lee classic cast with out the breech lock feature and a 1970ish Rock crusher and both are fine presses I do like the primer disposal system of the Lee better but I think that either one will last so long that the difference in price over the years of the life of the press is very little.
Old December 15, 2014, 12:49 AM   #43
noylj

Two ways to go:
Forster Co-Ax
or
Lee Challenger
Nothing else has the bang for the buck of these two.
Old December 15, 2014, 01:59 AM   #44
1stmar

RI've always like the coax, but 3x the price of the lee ? Not sure it's worth it. If I could get it for $200....I am looking for low run out. I like the l-n-l bushings. I think it's between the classic cast and the co ax. I just want the co ax on sale. :-).
You guys getting low run out on the lee?
Old December 15, 2014, 10:52 AM   #45
Vance

I don't think you will ever find a co-ax on sale for that low. You are lucky to find one in stock anywhere. I think Forster purposely only makes 1 or 2 a month so they can artificially keep the price high.
Old December 15, 2014, 02:07 PM   #46
Sevens

Nothing on Earth artificial about that. If you could build something better and market it, you might spur them to lower price or up their production -- or both.
Old December 15, 2014, 03:53 PM   #47
TMD

I purchased a Lee Classic Turret press about 6 or so years ago. My rockchucker hasn't seen the light of day since.
Old December 15, 2014, 09:09 PM   #48
Vance

If you have the capacity to build 10 items a week, but only build 2 items per week because your item is popular and only building a certain number will keep the demand up, then you can charge a higher price. High demand gets high prices.

So if a company purposely keeps demand artificially high by not making enough just so they can keep the price high, then they are dishonest in my book.

I looked at the Co-ax and thought it would be a good single stage to have, but not for $300 or more and definitely not if I have to search for months to find one for sale. There are plenty of others that are just as good that are available now.
Old December 16, 2014, 12:39 AM   #49
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance View Post
If you have the capacity to build 10 items a week, but only build 2 items per week because your item is popular and only building a certain number will keep the demand up, then you can charge a higher price. High demand gets high prices.

So if a company purposely keeps demand artificially high by not making enough just so they can keep the price high, then they are dishonest in my book.

I looked at the Co-ax and thought it would be a good single stage to have, but not for $300 or more and definitely not if I have to search for months to find one for sale. There are plenty of others that are just as good that are available now.
How is that dishonest? If they could make more money producing more they would if they were able to afford speeding up production.

I don't think that's the case with Forster, I just think they are a small company with a popular product. Certainly magnitudes smaller than Hornady and RCBS and probably even Lee.
Old December 16, 2014, 01:34 AM   #50
Clark

I have a couple cast iron co-ax presses in the reloading room, but they are too heavy to put them in and out of the vehicle and follow me around the house.

The are great for onesy twosy experimental swap around things fast.

But for doing 100 rounds of the same thing, gotta move to the computer and watch TV and type while reloading.

The TV tuner in the computer was a great idea. Keep track of 100 recorded TV shows with microsoft windows media center. Fast forward through the commercials with the mouse.

10 years ago I was stuck in the reloading room listening to the radio.

I think all the precision is there at the minimum weight with a pair of cast Aluminum RCBS partner presses.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?