The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2009, 10:11 AM   #1
dsv424

Problem with my Glock(I think)

Not sure what is causing this but I went to the range last night with my Glock 20 10mm to try some new reloads. Of the twenty that I shot 3 of them did not fire. This gun has been "Old Faithful" for me for 2 years, every time I pull the trigger it always went bang. Here are some pics of two that didn't fire and two that did. As you can see the primer was only lightly struck on the ones that didn't fire. Not sure if the reloads could cause this but I'm just not sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old November 20, 2009, 10:24 AM   #2
cslinger

Gunk in the firing pin channel slowing the striker down possibly.

I know very little about reloading but could those primers not be seated correctly or just happen to be a little harder then normal?
Old November 20, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Foxbat

Pull the striker out, examine and clean its channel, examine the striker and its spring. Did the trigger feel funny on some shots? Could be early striker release.
Old November 20, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Nowhere Man

cslinger is probably got it nailed. Wolf primers? They have a reputation of not seating properly.

Dave
Old November 20, 2009, 02:47 PM   #5
cornbush

Are the primers seated down in the case further on the misfires? My dad had some problems with his 10mm Glock, the primer pockets would stretch just enough to let the primer seat a little deeper. The only other issue he had was crimp, but thats usually operator error.
Old November 20, 2009, 04:42 PM   #6
goodspeed(TPF)

Primer depth is prolly off.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old November 20, 2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Alleykat

It's a lot more likely that the primers aren't seated deeply enough, than that they are too deep. First strike drives the primer in and seats it. If you refire the "duds", they'll probably work. Strikes on ones that did fire look pretty strong to me. However, it's always a good idea to blast out the striker channel every-now-and-then, leaving it clean and DRY!!
Old November 20, 2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Sevens

One more thing to check, as unlikely as it may be... but it's easy to check:

Check the case length. If somehow, some way those case are shorter than spec, they'll sit deeper in the chamber and they won't get the full hit from the firing pin.

This is a real constant problem on my .30 Carb Blackhawk. If the case is too long, the cylinder locks up and won't turn either way and you have to pull the pin and remove the cylinder.

Cut the brass too short and the primer gets a tiny little nick in it and won't fire no matter how many times you let it fly.

I've never seen a piece of 10mm brass get shorter over time on it's own... none of mine ever has, but it's still easy for you to check and eliminate it as a possibility.
Old November 20, 2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Alleykat

All straightwall pistol ammo I've ever shot resulted in brass that got shorter, including 10mm. The case length is irrelevant to the OP's problem.
Old November 20, 2009, 09:14 PM   #10
Sevens

Well, .30 Carb isn't exactly straight wall... it's tapered. (so is 9mm) And it doesn't really get longer with each firing... but sizing it often stretches it. .30 Carb grows like rifle brass grows. It's a PITA.

I've never had a piece of 10mm go out of spec from either shooting or sizing either, and I've loaded and shot it since '92.

But if they were out of spec, it would likely cause light primer strikes.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:24 PM   #11
gunney 67

This is just a WAG, but it may be possible that the cartridges are under-sized enough by taper-crimping? that they are not head-spacing on the cartridge mouthes but are actually being held by the extractor, which would account for the light firing pin strikes. IE, the cartridge is moving forward by the firing pin hit until it is stopped by the extractor lip. Just a guess....
Old November 21, 2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Alleykat

He's already been given the two possibilities. Maybe he'll be smart enough to take the cogent advice.