The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2009, 05:26 PM   #1
mike6567

Bullet choice, .300WM for mule deer?

I am trying to work up a load for this winter to do some mule deer hunting in NM. The range could be anywhere from 50-350 yards. I am using a Remington Sendero in .300 Win Mag. The choices I'm considering right now are: 165 Nosler Partition, 180 Nosler Partition, 165 Accubond and 180 Accubond. Any insight or experiences would be helpful.
Old July 1, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
James R. Burke

For myself it would be the 165 partition or the 180 partition. I really like the 165 grain partition, but your rifle should push that 180 grain really good, and with that caliber thats the one I would go with.
Old July 1, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
cornbush

I agree you cant go wrong with the partitions, but any of the bullets you listed should be just fine on muleys. I would use whatever you find shoots the best. In my experience the 180 to 200 grainers tend to be more accurate out of the 300's I've shot.
Old July 1, 2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Shoney

The 165 bullets will cause a great deal of hydrostatic shock in your meat at ranges under 150-200 yards. After having shot numbers of deer, elk, and antelope with 150, 165, 180 and 200 gr bullets (Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Winch, Rem, Barnes) I finally settled on the Nosler 200 Partition. Good for any NA game from 30-500+ yards.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 1, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
elkman06

I lean towards Hornaday BTSP bullets. I am shooting them in many calibers from .243 to 300wm. The 180's may well be the better choice in this caliber but I really like the faster 165. I have found that this particular bullet works best in the 250to 350 yd range. Under 100yds they tend to not open up as well as one might hope and do exceedingly well at 250. I really like the accuracy and all around performance though when balanced against price. I shoot 150's in my 06.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 1, 2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Stick_man

why premium?

One question I have for you is why do you feel you would need a premium bullet for the mule deer? Deer are not super thick skinned animals and I could only come up with a few reasons to go with a premium bullet for them.
  1. One load for deer, elk, moose and/or bear
  2. to keep them from blowing apart at uber-velocity
  3. the prestige in being able to say you are shooting a premium bullet

I have found that the Remmy Core-lokt and Hornadys work very well for mule deer at a significant cost savings. Speer Hot-Cors even do well. I have taken many mulies even out to the 350-400 yard range with my li'l ole '06 starting out with 2900fps at the muzzle with the 165 gr Speers. They kill them every bit as dead as the Noslers and Barnes premos. It wasn't until I started going after the limited entry elk that I switched over to a 168gr Barnes TSX. They seem to shoot a little better than the Partitions do out of my rifle. Now, since I regularly put in for the elk and have picked up a lighter rifle for a combo coyote/deer rifle (6mm Rem), I have dedicated my '06 to use as an elk rifle and load the 6mm with 85gr BTSP by Speer for the deer and occasional song dog.
Old July 1, 2009, 11:54 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

I would use whichever bullet shot the most accurately from my rifle and not worry about the construction. A mule deer shot in the vitals with a 300 mag will be dead no matter what type of bullet you are using.
Old July 2, 2009, 12:12 AM   #8
mike6567

I am wanting to work up a load that works well for mulies as well as elk. I am leaning more towards the 180 partitions right now. Another reason I am going with a premium bullet is I'm spending a lot of money on this trip, I would rather spend the extra $10-$20 on a Nosler product and be more confident in the accuracy.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Mac1045
Registration in progress

Try the Hornady 165gr BTSP

In hunting loads for anything 30 cal for everything from groundhogs to elk, I use Hornadys 165grBTSP. Very accurate, stays together, penetrates well. I would try H414 powder.
Old July 4, 2009, 03:25 PM   #10
elkman06

Quote:
extra $10-$20 on a Nosler product and be more confident in the accuracy.
Won't buy you anything in this department....waste of money
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 6, 2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Dannyl

Hornady 180Gr Interbonds (or old interlocks)

Hi,
I have hunted Kudu and Oryx with these, (REM 700 3006, at 2650 FPS).
Last week a good friend of mine used them ( I reload for him) to take a 1300 Kg Eland. ( single shot kill, after being shot in the lungs, the Eland walked 50M and dropped) I find these bullets very reliable and they also group well (3/4" at 100M, regularly).

I have also used these bullets (same load) for smaller game, such as impala and they have always performed perfectly, good expansion, no fragementation and relatively low amount of meat damaged.

On thursday I am off to another hunt, this time I will be using the Hornady SST, (180Gr BTSP), I am told they are just as good for hunting, but I have found that they group even better than the interlocks.

In contrary to other opinions mentioned here, I believe that bullet construction matters a lot. First, in some angles your bullet may encounter a shoulder-bone or rib, and if it disintegrates, it may not cause sufficient damage for a kill, resulting in a wounded animal that needs to be tracked. I have personally seen a bullet fired from a 7mm Rem Magnum break upon hitting the shoulder of a Zebra (teh bullet in this case was a TUG), it was fired by the son of my boss and I ended up having to track and find the Zebra, which took most of the day. When I finally cought up with it and shot it, we noticed that all the first bullet had done was take a 5" circle of skin off the shoulder.
This injury was insufficient to stop the Zebra, and there was hardly a nociceable blood to follow. so yes, accuracy is VERY important, but bullet construction cmust also be considered.
Brgds,

Danny

Last edited by Dannyl; July 6, 2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added more info
Old July 6, 2009, 02:47 PM   #12
eaglesnester

load for mule deer

You have the powder and the power so why not go heavy. Better bullet performance at longer ranges, better penetration and killing power all around. I live and hunt in Norther B.C. Canada, so our critters up here get sort of big. I shoot a 308 Norma Mag and a 300 Weatherby Mag. In the Norma which is very close to your rifle in performance (300WinchesterMag) I load el chepo 200grain Speer SPZ. I took a 5.5 foot black bear this year at 300 yards. Put one round right through the front shoulder and down he went, no problem.
Old July 6, 2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Primevalpapa

I have been using the Hornady 150 gr BTSP hunting coues whitetail, mule deer, and one elk two years ago. You really want to pick your shot at close range as you can really mess up some meat. The 150gr has some nice ballistics that allow you to concentrate a bit more on shot placement rather than the exact distance. You can pretty much ignore hold over out to about 250yds when sighted in at 200. If it is past that, I would assume that you have time to fidget around with the range finder.

I found the 180gr and up rounds to be accurate but unpleasant to shoot off of a bench. I am 6'7" tall and find that I am leaning to far forward on the bench and get pounded. The 150gr are easier to target with.

I am starting to work up a load with the Barnes 168gr Triple X bullet to stay with the lighter weight. We will see if the accuracy is as good as the heavier bullets.

I think that bullet construction means less than placement assuming what you are shooting is not trying to eat you. Construction is very important for dangerous game as your shot may not be so well planned. All that being said....You note that I am working up a load around a bullet that stays together. That elk I mentioned earlier was shot broadside in the heart at 70yrds. The 150gr bullet hit a rib square, fragmented, trashed the heart (darn, I like heart), and never exited. He went 60yrds with a blown heart and dropped by an old logging trail. Woohoo!

This could have been a different story had it been a shoulder shot. I did not like that it fragmented and feel that it may have been a more difficult recovery.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:51 PM   #14
Buck88

Mike, what a coincidence... I will be hunting unit 17 in New Mexico this fall. I also just purchased a Sendero in .300 WinMag, that I will be working up a load for. I personally like the 165gr Barnes TSX. This bullet is very accurate and won't detonate at close ranges.

On another note however, I would like to give the 150's a shot. Being a solid copper bullet, I don't believe the lighter bullets will detonate either. If they are as accurate as the 165's, but fly flatter I should think that they would be the perfect mule deer bullet.

Good luck.
Old July 7, 2009, 03:20 AM   #15
mike6567

I am hunting in unit 34. Did you put in for other tags also? Me and 3 friends were all on the same draw, we also put in for Elk but had no luck there. This is my first time hunting in NM. I am really wanting to find a load thats good on mulies, elk and also hogs. I'm not going to be shooting this rifle much after working a load up except for when hunting and the occasional zeroing the rifle. For white tails here in TX I will stick with my .243, hasn't let me down yet. So for the amount I will be shooting this rifle I am not really too concerned with the money.
Old July 7, 2009, 06:11 AM   #16
Shoney

How I attained my knowledge of bullet performance on game.

I was fortunate to grow up in a time when game was plentiful. I was allowed to hunt at age 10, and within the immediate and extended family, I harvested between 25-30 deer and antelope that year. They thought it was a hoot to watch a little shaver with a big octagon barreled 303 Sav drop deer on command. Although I had opportunities to shoot 6X6 Muley bucks, I was not allowed to do so, for the supposed reason they were tough and bad tasting.

At age 12 I started handloading for the family. I went down to a local sporting goods store with money I had earned cutting lawns, raking leaves and shoveling snow. The very nice clerk was amused at first, asked how much money I wanted to spend. Showing him the wad of cash, he knew I was serious. He counseled me to get the Pacific Reloader and the minimum items I would need.

Being a cautious man, he pretentiously pointed out that there was no way for me to get that big chunk of iron home on my bicycle, and to have my parents come by the next day to help get it home.

Next day my mom accompanied me to the store, but mentioned that I didn't know anyone who reloaded, were there classes? The clerk agreed to mentor me, and did so, passing along a lot of knowledge. I spent a ton of money there in years before large chain stores drove them out of business.

With time, I tried out lots of different bullets and powders in the wide variety of weapons the family used. Since we processed all our game, I learned first hand what various bullets and loads would do to meat.

As a young man I became a serious trophy hunter. In addition there were many years of excess game where I could get up to 8 deer tags (doe/faun) in addition to the 3 either sex tags; and in those same years you could get as many as 9 doe/faun antelope tags with one either sex tags. The older members of my extended family all got lots of well cared for and processed meat.

Do not underestimate the ability of mature mule deer bucks to absorb punishment. I can say that large mature muley bucks (275-350 lbs) will take more punishment and keep going, more than any other N.A. animal I've taken. I say this in part because I have been fortunate to shoot lots of elk, and have seen the effects of bullets I loaded for family on elk. But I cannot think of a single elk that took the devastating damage that I have seen poured into some big mulies.

Now for the meat & potatoes. What were my findings on bullets fired from a 300WM?
Remington Core-Loct bullets have to high on the list, but you can't get them for reloading. There was a very brief time they were available though.
Sierra bullets were extremely accurate, but before the Game Kings, they were like throwing hand grenades.
Speer bullets were just OK, nothing spectacular in accuracy or performance.
Hornady Interlock have the core held in by the cannelure and are excellent mid velocity game getters that won’t ruin much meat. Shooting Interlocks at upper range velocities seem to separate the core from the jacket more regularly.
Hornady Interbond are a great bullet, the bonded core does not separate and it mushrooms well to 350 yards. Longer yardages, it does not create the damage a Nosler partition will.
Nosler Partitions put down large elk and deer with more authority than any bullet I’ve shot. They are designed with the front having a thin jacket that can explode at high velocity close range shots (not desirable but effective), while the rear core continues to penetrate. For long distance work, over 400 yards, the partition will still open reliably and have the rear half push it through.

As an aside, I do not recommend a 6mm Rem as an elk rifle, but I have been trophy hunting for deer when by chance I ran into elk late in the season. I have taken 5 elk with the 6mm Rem 100gr Nosler Patitions. One shot each, all heart/lung with 3 of the bullets found under the hide on the opposite side. All others passed through.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 8, 2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Buck88

mike6567-"I am hunting in unit 34. Did you put in for other tags also? Me and 3 friends were all on the same draw, we also put in for Elk but had no luck there. This is my first time hunting in NM. I am really wanting to find a load thats good on mulies, elk and also hogs. I'm not going to be shooting this rifle much after working a load up except for when hunting and the occasional zeroing the rifle. For white tails here in TX I will stick with my .243, hasn't let me down yet. So for the amount I will be shooting this rifle I am not really too concerned with the money."

I just put in for deer, unit 17 was second choice, first was 2B I think, by the Jicarilla Reservation. First time hunting NM as well.