The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 15, 2005, 06:08 PM   #1
GunMac

Types of Handgun Competitions?

I would like to work toward competitive handgun shooting. There is plenty of information on bullseye competition at bullseyepistol.com which seems to be a pretty good resource.

What are the other types of competition and are there any good websites on them?
Old November 15, 2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Zak Smith

http://www.uspsa.org

http://www.idpa.com
Old November 16, 2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Quantrill

Cowboy Action Shooting, I.P.S.C., I.P.D.A.,Pistol Sillohette, P.P.C., etc.
Old November 16, 2005, 03:08 PM   #4
deadin

International Style Pistol Matches include the following: Rapid Fire Pistol, Standard Pistol, Center Fire Pistol, Sport Pistol, Free Pistol and Air Pistol

Standard pistol is similar to Bullseye except Open Sights only. The others are unique. I have the rules if anyone is interested. Therer are also some stringent rules and restrictions on the pistol weights and dimensions.

Dean
Old November 19, 2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

If you like action shooting with a challenge try ICORE.org.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old November 20, 2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Ken O

Find out what competitions are in your area, they are all fun. Check out the websites of the above posts and find a club in your area. In my area I have IDPA and Steel Challange, a bit of a drive and I shoot ISPC and ICORE. I have lived in areas where Bowling Pins and Silohettes were popular. Some areas Cowboy shooting is popular. Dont limit yourself to one competiton, the guns are expensive, get the most fun you can out of them.
Why not post what area you are in, and maybe some here will post whats available to you.
Old December 4, 2005, 12:27 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...I have the rules if anyone is interested..." Post an url if you can. It'd be of use to everybody.
GunMac, as you can see, there's something for everybody and nearly every type of handgun. Joining a bullseye club would be a good place to start. A lot of bullseye shooters play in more than one game. Very few shooters would refuse to help you with any other kind of shooting game. Most will let you use their firearms too.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:14 PM   #8
stercrazy

I shot silhouette for a lot of years and it is a lot of fun. I will be getting back into it this year. IHMSA.org
A lot of different styles of handguns were used at the matches I attended. I would say take a look at the different types of competitions avaivable in your area and give them a try. Quite often if you are interested I have more than once let someone use one of my guns and supplied the ammo for it as well and I have seen others do the same thing. It is not all that uncommon at least it isn't out here in the Rockies at the matches I have been to be they silhouette or informal Bowling Pin.

Some pins shooters and match holders will have matches that allow only semi auto's. Guess they don't like being shown up by a lowly revelover.
Old January 16, 2006, 06:28 PM   #9
RochPersDef

Here in Rochester, we have a couple 'home grown' defensive pistol matches. The best one is run every Tuesday at 5:30 at the Genesee Conservation League in Penfield, just east of Rochester. We will work you through a great scenario every week where safety, tactics, and your imagination are enforced and tested very well. Altough our website is not up yet, contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions.