The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2010, 02:40 AM   #26
bamaranger

From a vehicle, a shorter bbl makes a difference......

as one gets it from the rack, and deployed in what ever manner, from the veh or out on foot. I notice a distinct difference between 18 and 20 in such situations.

For HD, which would have more space than the confines of a vehicle, I'm not so sure. The longer bbls do allow for more mag tube space, which is one of my arguments against the ultra short entry guns.

Seems like I read somewhere that some name trainer advocates the use of RS sighted, hunting type slug bbls lengths, to avoid possible civil entanglements. Somebody else started that, not me. Seems like a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Since you asked, I'd go with the 20", and invest the money you save on night sites, weapon light, and/or an ammo caddy of some sort.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:51 AM   #27
LanceOregon

Definitely don't waste your money and buy the 18" barrel.

Your current 20 inch IC barrel can do everything that 18" cylinder barrel can do, and more.

There is definitely no point at all in throwing your money away to get this shorter barrel. The 20 inch well balance and handle better, and the IC will give it a more effective range, while still making it easy to hit at close range.

Remington makes both 26 and 28" sporting barrels for the 870 Wingmaster compatible with their RemChoke system of removal-able choke tubes.

See:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005760212137a.shtml

Old February 23, 2010, 09:37 AM   #28
Tenshi

Quote:
I disagree, if your statement is correct then we have spent a lot of time, energy and paperwork to develop 16" entry guns. Noticeable difference is in barrel length depends on the confines of the space and proximity of your enemy.
time, energy, and paperwork are wasted every day on things just because there's a demand for it, not because it's useful in any way.

In my opinion, you should be looking more at the choke of the 2 barrels rather than the length. The 1.5" really won't make any noticeable difference in the feel, swing, or pattern of the gun, but The improved cylinder that the gun comes with will give you a tighter pattern than the cylinder bore of the 18" barrel should you have to use the gun at a longer distance or wish to use it for something other than home defense. At home defense distances, the choke won't really come into play at all.

If it were me, I'd keep the 20" barrel that's on it and use the money you save on ammo.

@Zippy13:
Quote:
might not that missing 1.5 or 2 inches save your life?
I highly doubt it. If the intruder is close enough to grab your 20" barrel, I don't think it's much of a stretch for him to move his arm another 1.5" to grab your 18.5" barrel.
Old February 23, 2010, 01:20 PM   #29
SpookBoy

personally id keep the 20 and add a Plus+3 mag ext., the 18 only being able to extend the mag by on 1 or 2 with a shorter tube ,it would be flush and a 8 or 9 shot capacity . just my .02

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old February 25, 2010, 05:46 AM   #30
spyderdude

I have an 870 Wingmaster I recently purchased that is equipped with a 20" barrel and rifle sights. I think 20" is the maximum barrel length you would want on any home defense shotgun. I also have an 870 Express with an 18" barrel so its right at the legal limit without going through additional BATF paperwork.
Old February 25, 2010, 07:31 AM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would quickly be able to practice with a 24 inch and get nearly as maneuverable with it as with an 18 inch... Above 24 inch, you get a gun that is not so good in hall ways and must be kept upright as you make way thru the home to keep it from poking around the corner before you, giving the boogy man a nice handle to grab.

One point worthy of note is a PERSONAL SAFETY ISSUE... Facing a resolved attacker in CQB FACE TO FACE, I would prefer a little more length as an 18 inch barrel can be forced under your own chin easier than a 24 Food for thought.

For every positive reason for anything, there is a possible negative needing consideration.

That said... I use 18 inch and plan to avoid that up close battle with a healthier tuffer goon than myself.

Brent
Old February 25, 2010, 01:09 PM   #32
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
One point worthy of note is a PERSONAL SAFETY ISSUE... Facing a resolved attacker in CQB FACE TO FACE, I would prefer a little more length as an 18 inch barrel can be forced under your own chin easier than a 24 Food for thought.
An interesting point, my friend; but, I still contend the extra 6-inches of barrel gives your opponent more to garb. I'll defer to Scattergun Bob's expertise in LE/MIL ops and training -- too bad we can't get his 16" barrel legally over-the-counter.
Old February 25, 2010, 03:42 PM   #33
oneounceload

But even if the BG is hiding around a corner and grabs the barrel - if you pull the trigger, even if it isn't aimed at him, the flash and sudden noise will more than likely cause him to release his grasp, if even for but a moment.

Still, in the debate about 18.5 or 20, flip a coin. Adding to much "tacticool" stiff may look neat, but can hamper performance when the need to swing quickly into action arises.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:48 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Adding to much "tacticool" stiff may look neat, but can hamper performance when the need to swing quickly into action arises.
Adding any "tacticool" stiff may look neat, but can hamper performance when the need to swing quickly into action arises.
I fixed it for ya... with the exception of a light possibly...
Brent
Old March 1, 2010, 04:57 AM   #35
bumpandrun

Yup, you can never really have too many barrels. I personally have the 18.5 on my Mossy 500 when its in home defense mode. Im going for the lighter weight, better balance and most importantly maneuverability. When Im fairly up close and personal with an assailant, its still going to really ruin their day....Of course, everybody hopes that the terrifying sound of a pump action cycling the first round into the chamber is enough to make the bad guy fill his pants and make this face---->