The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 6, 2007, 08:56 AM   #26
mattro

Quote:
That is not the case in New York. Police officers have significantly greater legal justification in using deadly physical force than a private person under most circumstances, not the least of which being no duty to retreat,
that is atypical for America
Old September 6, 2007, 08:57 AM   #27
mattro

Quote:
If you're going to intervene, you had best be overwhelmingly sure of the circumstances -- since you are betting your freedom, your family's happiness, and everything you own on being right at the moment you put your firearm into the equation.
+1

I agree 100%
Old September 6, 2007, 03:04 PM   #28
Derius_T

One of the most important things our instuctors drilled into our head over and over again was how careful you had to be, and how SURE you had to be before you pull that gun.

They used a scenario like this: You come out into a parking lot, at night, lit well by the larger overhead light types, but still shadowy in some places. You see a knock down, dragout fight in one of those shadowy places. One guy finally gets the best, and pulls a gun. If you yell, maybe the one with the gun swings toward the sound, inadvertently pointing the gun towards you, and you fire.....killing a plainclothes or off-duty LEO.

There were so many more variations of this, where in alot of the cses, a guy coming to the scene in the middle, shoots, or would shoot the wrong guy.
Old September 6, 2007, 03:45 PM   #29
mattro

Quote:
They used a scenario like this: You come out into a parking lot, at night, lit well by the larger overhead light types, but still shadowy in some places. You see a knock down, dragout fight in one of those shadowy places. One guy finally gets the best, and pulls a gun. If you yell, maybe the one with the gun swings toward the sound, inadvertently pointing the gun towards you, and you fire.....killing a plainclothes or off-duty LEO.
It is certainly easier to come up with alot of reasons to do nothing...
Old September 6, 2007, 04:40 PM   #30
Justme

As someone pointed out, calling 911 on your cell phone and observing is not the same as doing nothing. I would never pull a weapon unless I had to shoot someone, and I would not shoot someone unless I was sure I had no other choice. I have even stated on other threads that if I am not sure of the background I am prepared to die rather than shoot an innocent by accident.

I am reminded of that incident where the kids kidnapped a girl as a camp prank. That could have been very very bad if someone had over-reacted. But is it even over-reacting if you see a teenage girl get kidnapped and interject yourself into the situation?
Old September 6, 2007, 06:02 PM   #31
Tanzer

Quote:
But is it even over-reacting if you see a teenage girl get kidnapped and interject yourself into the situation?

Not over-reacting at all, as long as it's handled correctly. The last thing the kidnapper wants is to be caught. He wants to be free to do his dastardly deeds. Knowing he's been ID'd and the cops are on the way is a big problem to him. Be too overzealous, and you might give him the chance to do away with the witness (you). Now he's back to his agenda. Should your gun be at the ready? YUP, but it's ther to protect you, not to go stick in his face. What's to stop him from slitting her throat to cover his getaway? Now who's in a jam?

Last edited by Tanzer; September 6, 2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: addition
Old September 7, 2007, 01:19 AM   #32
teejhot.40cal

Quote:
I am reminded of that incident where the kids kidnapped a girl as a camp prank. That could have been very very bad if someone had over-reacted. But is it even over-reacting if you see a teenage girl get kidnapped and interject yourself into the situation?
Newsflash. That isn't a prank. That is downright stupid. Prank is sending someone to to find a left-handed smoke shifter or dropping a tent on them. Kidnapping is a crime. Fake kidnapping is a crime. What if it wasn't a prank? Would the people then have under-reacted? I am sorry but I feel that once the person is in the kidnappers vehicle, they are in very grave danger.

Quote:
Should your gun be at the ready? YUP, but it's their to protect you, not to go stick in his face. What's to stop him from slitting her throat to cover his getaway? Now who's in a jam?
+1 on that statement.
Old September 7, 2007, 08:08 AM   #33
MosinM38

First case scenario. Call 911 and wait and watch at a distance. Only if it looks like something "Bad is gonna happen." Keep a hand in a places easy to access your handgun (Or on it if you have high reason to believe the person is armed).

If he starts going out of control yell "Hey. I got the cops on the phone. Back off." Then a few differant things based on reactions, running, or attacking etc.

If he punches a woman in the face.... Tell him to back off and dial 911 on the phone (See below). If he makes threatening moves towards you I would draw and aim at him before he gets very close.... The sight of a gun has a good chance of scaring him off.

About 911. From what I have heard about fights/scenarios... I personally believe that you should leave the phone connected to the PD. At least there might be audio record of what is going on (Thus having a better chance if you get sued/tried).

I dunno....
Old September 7, 2007, 08:46 AM   #34
JoeBlackSpade

The best response, and the best way to fulfill your obligations as a concerned citizen (IMO) is to uphold the laws and principles we hold dear.

If you see a crime in progress:

1.) Call the cops
2.) Get a detailed visual description
3.) Use all your senses to identify threats to your own life, followed by the lives of your family, and then lastly to the lives of those around you
4.) Stay on the phone as long as is necessary to relay the situation in detail to the cops.

They are trained in getting to the "bottom" of the situation, including domestic disputes, unlike the humorous story related by Tanzer (ROFL!). Getting in the middle of a knock-down drag out might backfire. A little kid, getting stomped to death by a brute, or someone pouring gasoline on their Grandma is quite different. Anything short of imminent death, however, should keep you on that phone, singing like a Mockingbird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRMfxzy9KlM (LANGUAGE)

The more info you give, the better equipped LE is going to be when they arrive, and (ultimately) the more likely justice will be served- which is ultimately what we all want.
Old September 14, 2007, 10:14 PM   #35
saskuach

Quote:
About 911. From what I have heard about fights/scenarios... I personally believe that you should leave the phone connected to the PD. At least there might be audio record of what is going on (Thus having a better chance if you get sued/tried).
That's exactly what we were taught during our CPL class. Great suggestion. The example we were given was of a home invasion - where your voice on the phone shouting "STOP! I've called the police, I'm armed and will shoot" would help you in court if the BG actually came in and you had to shoot.

Personally, I'm not gonna play Cops and Robbers. I'll let the professionals handle that - they're properly equiped, protected and and paid to do that [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]. I'm gonna get out of the way and shoot whoever is stupid enough to think I'm the next victim.