The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2014, 08:53 PM   #1
WildBill45

Glock 42, 380 auto +P Buffalo Bore

I just purchased a box of Buffalo Bore 90 grain, +P HP ammo for my baby Glock, the 42. My question is for anyone who has shot this brand of +P through a model 42. How has it worked for you? I have been told by a good source that Glocks do not have full supportive chambers, and wonder if that is true if they can handle +P ammo...

Any comments on personal experience with the model and +P???

Appreciate any feedback in the real world.

DISREGARD THIS POST

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; October 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old October 13, 2014, 11:53 PM   #2
michael t

Shot it. It won't wear you glock out. Its hotter than other 380. But not earth shattering . By the way no official +P in 380 or 32acp That's BB marketing .

I have shot in my KelTec and PPK/S . Recoil feels a little hotter than my normal carry of Corbon DPX. But I have no clocks to test either over.
Old October 14, 2014, 12:41 AM   #3
SDF880

I put a box of 20 BB thru mine and it worked just fine and it did definitely kick a bit more. Back to regular 380 HP's for now.
Old October 14, 2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Snyper

I'll never understand why people buy small guns, and then push the limits on ammo to get more power.

It makes much more sense to me to buy the power to begin with
Old October 14, 2014, 06:51 AM   #5
subhuman

there have been reports of BB not functioning well in the G42, the best performers I have saw in .380 are all loaded with the XTP bullet.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:46 AM   #6
WildBill45

Quote:
This is good point and I agree with it in most cases. The thing here is that I have plenty of proper power level guns to go to and my EDC is a Glock 30S but, the baby Glock is handy when others are not in some scenarios. I have carried guns since 1974, on duty and off, and the chance to have a light weight and small one is hard to resist. So like buying a chevy and building it to catch a vette, this spirit is part of the American soul ... we like choices. I did own a Nano, but eventually had problems with the striker ... until then it was a lovely gun.

When I carry the baby Glock I depend on my shooting skills, which give me confidence to put the shot where needed in most cases, and with that thought in mind I wouldn't feel too bad with hard balls. My dad put down more of the opposition in Korea with hardballs than he wants to talks about. I hunted and carried for protection in Alaska and Africa with what are hardballs, but named solids for the informed. I am not one of the folks who believe hardballs or solids just poke little holes in folks or animals. Mr. Bell took 1000 elephants with the little 7mm solids, or hardballs if you will, on eles, and wars had more dead on the ground from solids, so they do actually work, but a good hollow point does make it better in thin skinned animals, but never tell anyone to shoot you with a hardball/non-plus P because it isn't effective, it is I assure you. A good shot can carry a .25 acp and defend himself , especially a man who can defend himself with his body and his gun, an even more decided advantage.

Back on point, I do agree with you in principal in most cases, but who is perfect, eh?

Last edited by WildBill45; October 14, 2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: add a few words or so
Old October 14, 2014, 07:48 AM   #7
WildBill45

PS: I just called Glock and the service tech told me that they do not recommend Plus P because they don't meet sami specs ... I know they are CYA on the phone, and I know Plus P may be a advertising tactic, but I do not know if the BB ammo is real Plus P or not personally....

So for now I am not going to shoot it out of my little baby Glock...

Old October 14, 2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
By the way no official +P in 380 or 32acp That's BS marketing .
There, fixed it for you!
Just another way of saying advertising hype!

Quote:
PS: I just called Glock and the service tech told me that they do not recommend Plus P because they don't meet sami specs ... I know they are CYA on the phone, and I know Plus P may be a advertising tactic, but I do not know if the BB ammo is real Plus P or not personally....
If there is no such thing Why would you wonder if it is such thing?

It's their way of saying we load this stuff hot for people who want to make something out of their gun that it isn't. There for there is no way of knowing what pressure they are creating.
Does BB have the equipment to test their pressure the same as SAAMI? Do they Even know what pressure their FauxP ammo is?
My suspicion is that they do, but won't publish it because it is within SAAMI standards, just at the very edge without any tolerance so if people really looked at it they would see that it really isn't a non-existent +P load.
Load your 42 with Speer Gold Dots, and be confident!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 14, 2014, 07:58 PM   #9
AK103K

I recently picked up a couple of 42's, with the same thoughts you seem to have about them. I was hoping Glock was going to do it in 9mm, but I still couldnt resist the 42, even though it is .380.

Now that I have them, Im not seeing how Glock will accomplish it in 9mm, if they even bother trying. I noticed pretty quick, that the 42's are really not very much smaller than my 26's. Side by side on the table, until you look at them from the rear, or head on, you really dont see any difference in size, its just the 42 is a "tad" thinner. I was thinking of replacing the 26 in my Smart Carry with a 42, but really dont see the point now. The 26 is a 9mm, holds 4 rounds more, and its back up mag is one of my 17's mags, which the 26 can use. Cant get any of that from the 42.

These days, I normally carry ball in my .380's. I used to use the hotter, big brand name HPs, until I started seeing the performance/lack of penetration failures in the gel tests. The ball rounds in the same tests always penetrated to or beyond the normally accepted penetration depths. The 42's are accurate and placing your shots really isnt an issue, even at distances most probably would not consider shooting a .380 at.

One thing about the 42 that is different than most of the .380's is, they are soft shooting, have good sights, and are more easily shot well. My SIG P238 was similar, "when it worked", which was rare, but even then, I didnt like it near as much as these 42's. Even my old standby P230, isnt near as much fun to shoot, and since its blowback, its more noticeably snappier to shoot, something I really dont remember it being until now. It has a more hand filling grip, which helps negate the recoil impulse better than most of the other .380's Ive owned. Thats not necessary with the 42's, as they fire from a locked breech, like their bigger brothers.

The one thing with the 42 that I do notice pretty quick when shooting it is, it runs out of ammo a lot quicker. Feels like Im practicing with my 642s.

I quit using my 642s when I got my first 26 and quickly realized the advantages. I easily see the 42's replacing the snubby's at the third line spot now, but it doesnt look like the 26's are going anywhere for daily back up any time soon.
Old October 14, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10
WildBill45

I picked up a few rounds that have been excellent in the gel testing and more ... HPR Hyperclean and Hornady "Custom" using XTP rounds. Both have done well in testing and puts a little pop in the little 380!!!

Old October 15, 2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

This is why I switched from Hornady Critical Defense to Speer Gold Dot in my Elsie Pea!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MmREJxM_E

And why I DON'T use fmj!
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EkscBbMGp5k

Last edited by Cheapshooter; October 15, 2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old October 15, 2014, 01:49 PM   #12
AK103K

The fmj link isnt working.

Unless its got something to do with Shia LaBeouf on his arrest on Jimmy Kimmel.
Old October 15, 2014, 01:52 PM   #13
TMD

Quote:

I'll never understand why people buy small guns, and then push the limits on ammo to get more power.

kind of goes hand in hand with buying ammo your not sure will work in your gun.
Old October 15, 2014, 02:23 PM   #14
AK103K

This was the last .380 JHP vs ball comparison I just saw recently, which more or less reinforces what Id seen early on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E
Old October 15, 2014, 02:39 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The fmj link isnt working.

Unless its got something to do with Shia LaBeouf on his arrest on Jimmy Kimmel.
Don't know who that LaBeouf dude is, but the link worked when I just checked it.
If not, search tnoutdoors9 on youtube and look through the gel tests for it. Lots of other very detailed tests as well. Mostly with a realistic 4 layers of denim over the calibrated gel from 10'.
Old October 15, 2014, 06:15 PM   #16
smokehouse4444

Not sure why it's hard to understand people wanting to shoot the more powerful 380 rounds if they have the option. I have 357mag, 45acp, and 9mm that I can carry, but sometimes the dress for the occasion dictates the smallest handgun available. I have a Colt Mustang Pocketlite that I have used the hot Buffalo Bore ammo in without a problem. However, I've switched to the Underwood 100gr Flat Nose Hard Cast 380 +p ammo because the price is better, and I really have been impressed with their ammunition. Looking into buying a Kahr CM380 for the same sort of duty.
Old October 16, 2014, 01:46 AM   #17
Cyanide971

Ammo Quest .380 Final Wrapup: finding the BEST am…: http://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts

LOTS of .380 rounds tested here gang, and with 5-shot strings through bare gel and then 4-layer denim.

Last edited by Cyanide971; October 16, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old October 16, 2014, 11:19 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

One criteria that was not considered that would disqualify the winner.
Ammo you can actually find!
Did some searching for where to buy Percision One, and didn't find any. But I did run across this interesting tidbit.
Quote:
Business Review

Overview
Complaints
This Business is not BBB Accredited

Precision One Ammunition

(843) 224-6781
Customer Complaints Summary

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 3 closed in last 12 months

Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
Delivery Issues 3
Problems with Product / Service 2
Advertising / Sales Issues 0
Billing / Collection Issues 0
Guarantee / Warranty Issues 0
Total Closed Complaints 5
Old October 17, 2014, 01:19 AM   #19
Dano4734

Hollow points in 380

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there is any pressure to make them open. I may be wrong but they will lose a lot more energy than a hard ball which is what I use in my gun.
Old October 17, 2014, 12:50 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there is any pressure to make them open. I may be wrong but they will lose a lot more energy than a hard ball which is what I use in my gun.
Just look at some of gel test videos. Yes, it does.
Here's one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MmREJxM_E
Old October 17, 2014, 12:58 PM   #21
AK103K

I dont think the issue is they dont open, just that they open to soon, and/or dont have the oomph to get enough penetration.

Its getting past that 12" barrier that seems to be the problem. Get one that does that reliably, especially out of the smaller .380's, and you'll be onto something.
Old February 17, 2015, 10:25 AM   #22
FireForged

Quote:

Because some people are willing to make concessions for ease of carry. It doesnt mean they refuse to accept that the cartridge is marginal.. we accept that. If I can essentially boost the pistols performance for a couple of extra bucks per box of ammo, why not. The Glock42 is easily the most pleasant and unobtrusive pistol I have ever carried. Sometimes thats what you want and when its not... carry a full size 1911. That concept may seem strange to some people but clearly there are plenty of other people who accept the concept- else they would not be a dozen manufacturers selling small 380's.

Quote:
the 42's are really not very much smaller than my 26's. Side by side on the table
oh come on... if you held one in your left hand and one is your right.. the difference is substantial. That difference is also very apparent when you make the comparison holstered. These are 2 very different carry guns when it comes to ease of carry.

Last edited by FireForged; February 17, 2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old February 17, 2015, 12:18 PM   #23
Gunfixr

I think a 42 in 9mm mak would be pretty interesting. It's hotter than 380. All it would take is a barrel. All the pocket mak calibered guns are heavy blowback pistols, takes two men and a boy to pull back the slides.
That locked breech 42 would be a breeze to operate.
Would have a better trigger than the rest as well.