The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2005, 08:56 PM   #1
bjmanersr

Where do you buy lead??best price??

Where does everybody buy lead?I havent found much below retail on the sights i've lookes at.I mostly shoot 38/357 40 or 45.
Old July 13, 2005, 09:27 PM   #2
cobra81

Are you wanting pure lead, or an alloy?
I guess I've been lucky, but so far I haven't had to actually put out any money for lead. Car dealerships and tire shops are great sources for free lead in the form of wheelweights. I also got real lucky when I went into an old print shop on a whim and asked the owner if he had any linotype laying around....what do you know, he just happened to have about a ton of it in his garage and was looking for someone to unload it on. I've been taking it off his hands 50 lbs at a time. Linotype casts real well, and the hardness is just right for my cast 30/06 bullets. I also got a lead plate from a buddy whose father worked for the phone company and had an old lead splice sleeve to get rid of. I've found if you put the word out that you are looking for lead, people will know other people who might be able to help you. You just gotta ask! Good luck.
Old July 14, 2005, 05:09 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

since the ONLY thing a gun does is launch bullets......

Beartooth
Cast Performance
Dry Creek
North East
Penn Bullets

Lead. Priced fairly. All best quality.
Old July 14, 2005, 10:20 AM   #4
wrcook

Greetings

I just went to my local tire dealer and they do not use "lead" wheel weights any more. They said it was an environmental thing. So wheel weights just might be a thing of the past shortly. The junk car places might be the ones to try.

As for pure lead, I find that lead flashing (for chimneys) is still available at places like Home Depot. I get most of my lead from my neighbor who deals in scrap metal.

Bill
Old July 14, 2005, 09:43 PM   #5
uclajd

I used to get pure linotype (BHN Hardness 22) and monotype (BHN Hardness 28) from a guy in Beverly Hills named Arthur S. Green back in the early 90's when I was in college. He used to advertise in the Handloader mag classifieds. I found him on the Net again and just called him and he is - surprisingly - still making and selling his alloys at age 78. He has a masters degree in metallurgy, and he ships worldwide, decent prices. No junk, pure stuff. This guy takes pride in his alloys so you know you are getting real linotype, not BS "wheelweight surprise." An eccentric guy who will talk your ear off, but a good guy you can trust for pure metals.

He quoted me linotype 55 cents/lb, which is about what he was charging a decade ago. He sells them in nice little 1lb ingots which melt nicely.

Linotype is what you want - it won't foul the bore like lead or Lyman #2, and can handle higher velocities.

Here is a listing of lead alloy hardness.

ARTHUR S. GREEN

Address: 485 S ROBERTSON BLVD BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90211 Voice: 310-(two-seven-four)-1283
Old July 15, 2005, 08:18 AM   #6
AustinMike

I've recently switched over to Precision. They cost more than cast, but less than the plated bullets I was using. No smoke and fairly clean.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/