The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2013, 08:58 AM   #26
Striker1

Quote:
While it lacks the snob appeal of the LCT, not to mention the great primer catching, the less expensive aluminum turret works perfectly too. I have both and am not about to scrap or sell the cheaper one.
I believe that's the first time I've ever hear that term applied to a Lee product
Old August 5, 2013, 09:10 AM   #27
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
While it lacks the snob appeal of the LCT, not to mention the great primer catching, the less expensive aluminum turret works perfectly too. I have both and am not about to scrap or sell the cheaper one.
I believe that's the first time I've ever hear that term applied to a Lee product
I say that because the cast iron Lee press is the only Lee equipment that the bashers allow. Also, bashing aside, one is not among "the big boys", if they use the cheaper cast aluminum press.
Old August 5, 2013, 09:16 AM   #28
Striker1

Quote:
I say that because the cast iron Lee press is the only Lee equipment that the bashers allow. Also, bashing aside, one is not among "the big boys", if they use the cheaper cast aluminum press.
They still make the older one? Don't see why they would make two models that do essentially the same thing?
Old August 5, 2013, 09:27 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

" how hard can it be?"

Hard? Not.

Annoying? Incredibly.

I much prefer the Lee "Claymore Mine" priming system verses the "Stick of Dynamite" type.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 5, 2013, 05:26 PM   #30
Real Gun

Recently loaded up a tube of primers for the Hornady LnL AP and don't recall any issues. Don't know about Dillon et al.

I do okay with the Lee priming on the turret press, but I have to stand on a rug to catch a primer or two. Lots of misfires on the primer insertion, but at least one can see exactly what is happening (or not).
Old August 5, 2013, 06:47 PM   #31
lee n. field

Quote:
Hand priming can bring on epicondylitis (tennis elbow). Older loaders are likely to pass on the squeezum priming method. Ever try loading primers into a tube? With a reasonably steady hand and a clear head, how hard can it be?
In the context of a discussion of the Classic Turret, he was probably talking about the press mounted "Safety Prime" system. Which is quite unlike the hand squeeze tool.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 5, 2013, 10:52 PM   #32
Kittum

Quote:
In the context of a discussion of the Classic Turret, he was probably talking about the press mounted "Safety Prime" system. Which is quite unlike the hand squeeze tool.
Your are correct.

I don't mind the LNL or the Dillion tube loader but being able to "dump, shake, and go" does have allot of appeal to me.
Old August 6, 2013, 07:39 AM   #33
JL Wesson

Real Gun, I had what looks like the same problem when I installed my LCT the first time: a lot of primers falling out instead of settling in the "little cup".
I could fix this issue adjusting the "angle" of the feeder guide arm with the press. A slight rotation (clockwise im my case) did the trick.
Now I stop only when I run out of primers (actually the last 3-4 of them remain in the feeder but get pushed forward as soon as their new friends descend the guide).
Hope this help.
JLW

PS
I am super-happy with my Classic Turret!
I get better cartriges in 1/2 the time.
I also run four-dies disks and "factory crimp" all my cartridges with the final stroke.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #34
Real Gun

Quote:
I don't mind the LNL or the Dillion tube loader but being able to "dump, shake, and go" does have allot of appeal to me.
Once I have a full tube of primers on the LnL AP, I don't have to place a primer for each cartridge. That's done for me, so I think there is a pay off in loading up tubes. I don't find that a chore at all, except I don't know what Federal was thinking, when they designed there little box for 100 primers. It's bigger than any primer tray I have. CCI, no problem. Winchester is compact too.
Old August 6, 2013, 08:24 PM   #35
CrustyFN

Quote:
CrustyFN, I heard about the plastic square being a problem so anytime I ordered and needed to add more I'd get a couple of them. I've been using mine over 2 years and I'm still on the original. But I still have my spares JIC!
Great idea. Always a good thing to have a spare when you need it.
Old August 7, 2013, 11:27 AM   #36
tateconcepts

Good choice - it catches your primers and dust too (big bonus on safety) and primes decently provided you buy their extras or get the kit.

I own all three - The Progressive Pro 1000, Classic Turret Press (which I gave my Dad) and the single stage Breech Lock that I use for depriming/decapping and specialized crimping with their factory crimp die on more precise loads.

I (we) load 380 ACP, 38 SPL, 9MM, 357 SIG, 357 MAG, 223 REM, 300 AAC with plans to later load 41 and 44 MAG along with 40SW and 45 ACP. I may add 308 WIN even though I think it is a dated cartridge with the 300 AAC and the newer M855A1 that likely, none of you except those with US Army service 2010 and up have seen it. It is the M855 replacement that Lake City pushed on the Army (in collaboration with Liberty Defense). They make these weird machined aluminum bullets for consumer use and copper for military (the M855A1 is an all copper bullet with a better steel penetrator that's bronze colored). Civilian ownership is highly unlikely but you can buy their consumer ammo (I carry it with Barnes and Winchester PDX1 to get a well rounded line up in 9mm and then switch to carbine - also in 9mm if I get into a situation). I am a defense contractor BTW - therefore I have unique needs (especially in cyber). Fragmenting can be good!

I digress, I personally and professionally - along with the courses taught at the local Cabela's by a friend of mine that the Lee Classic Turret press is likely the most cost effective and quality reloading press you can purchase. Parts are easy to come by and their customer service is pretty good. Their warranty is decent and their presses work well IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THE SETUP VIDEOS ON THEIR WEBSITE AT www.leeprecision.com - don't do that and you'll be one of those who complain it doesn't do something right (like my Dad originally did) and ignore those guys with the nice blue and green presses. When you get older and better at reloading, you might need this - I never have but then again - when **** counts, I use factory ammunition anyway and its not your usual run of the mill cartridges... worse, they are HIGHLY IN DEMAND by LE and PMC so you won't see much on the consumer market, hence reloading.

Howdy from the Lone Star State
The Republic of Texas
Brian

Welcome to TFL!
Old August 8, 2013, 04:57 PM   #37
Nordeste

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Since then I've cranked out some 300 rounds. I am a total newbie at reloading, although I got some training and good advice. After setting it up and some fiddling, I am surprised at how consistent my cartridges are. I got the kit, plus the adjustable charge bar. Charges are consistent and very, very accurate. I tried measuring each and every finished rounds (I'm learning... ) and I was surprised at how consistent the COL was.

Once I got confident and got a steady pace, 120 rounds per hour were possible with no sweat. Considering that my ammo requirements range between 100-200 rounds per week, the LCT serves me pretty well. For a new reloader, it allows a close control on what's going on, yet it produces high quality ammo, all at a very reasonable price tag.
Old August 9, 2013, 10:28 AM   #38
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Once I got confident and got a steady pace, 120 rounds per hour were possible with no sweat. "

Yep, I'm figuring I can do 100 to 150 rounds an hour without too much trouble, which is a good pace for me and my shooting needs.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 11, 2013, 05:10 PM   #39
grisbald

If you load different calibers on the Lee Turret Press, get you some extra turret plates. I ordered about 5 of them for $9 ea. Leave my dies in the plate, and just swap plates around when I'm loading something different.
Old August 13, 2013, 09:32 PM   #40
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
I purchased my
Quote:
Deluxe
Turret press before I knew what the difference was.
I added a coffer dam to keep the spent primers in the press and off my bench.
Added a Zip Tye to keep the primer arm from trying to escape and land on the floor.
Added a base and a bucket to catch the spent primers.( everyone knows how much fun it is to have to dismount the press just to empty the primers out of the base.)
So now it performs well enough that I could not justify upgrading to a Classic cast turret.

That did not stop me from scratching my Classic cast itch though.