The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
robert1811

1991 Taurus Model 66

Hello i'm currently at work and cant contact Taurus. From what I remember reading about Smith's K frames (and this is suppossed to be a copy I believe) that they can't handle a steady diet of 357 mags. Does anyone know if a Taurus 66 from 1991 or around that time period has been reinforced enough to handle 357's?
Old February 15, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2
lee n. field

It should be able to handle .357.

One issue with the K-frame .357s is potential cracking of the forcing cone due to being thinner on the bottom. There's a flat spot there. Do a google image search on "model 19 forcing cone" for a pic.

This is not the case with the Taurus 66. I had one of roughly that vintage.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 16, 2013, 02:26 AM   #3
robert1811

Thanks a lot buddy
Old February 16, 2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Sevens

I hope this isn't received poorly, but it's the truth -- and I hope you find it helpful.

I've got a much newer Taurus Model 66 and there's nothing it won't handle...so far. That's because there's nothing I won't feed it. Because it's a Taurus, I use it as my "feed 'er anything" .357 Magnum and, well, let's just call it a running experimental test platform.

I wouldn't subject my prized S&W 686 or my Model 19 a boatload of the hot 125's I build, but I'll feed a zillion of them to the Taurus.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:01 AM   #5
shootniron

Quote:
I wouldn't subject my prized S&W 686 or my Model 19 a boatload of the hot 125's I build, but I'll feed a zillion of them to the Taurus.
That 686 will stand anything and in any amount, that the Taurus will.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Sevens

You are missing -my- point.
Things I simply don't wish to feed my 686... I will happily stuff in to the Taurus.

If you are insinuating that I can't build (in spec!) handloads that won't put a whuppin' on my 686, I think you mistaken.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
shootniron

Quote:
If you are insinuating that I can't build (in spec!) handloads that won't put a whuppin' on my 686, I think you mistaken.
I was insinuating just what I said, the 686 will take whatever the Taurus will take and still be a fit weapon. I imagine that I have run as many hot rounds through a 686 in the last 26yrs as anyone...and it is still tight and top strap intact.

Last edited by shootniron; February 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:21 AM   #8
jad0110

I agree with Lee.

The weakness of the S&W K Frame .357 forcing cone is probably overstated, as long as you feed it .38s or heavier grain .357s (preferably 158s), and you don't shoot a bazillion magnums a year, they'll hold up fine.

That said, the Taurus 66 does have a sturdier forcing cone as it isn't cut off at the bottom. More proof that the Taurus 66 isn't an exact clone of the S&W. They are actually very nice guns, some of the more highly regarded models that Taurus makes (oddly, Taurus quality seems to vary a LOT by model, like they have expert gunsmiths on one line and retarded, ADHD monkeys on another ). Granted, the finish quality isn't quite as good as S&W and the quality of the trigger varies more from gun-to-gun. I had a Taurus 66 6" 7 shot for a while, it was truly a wonderful gun. Held up fine to magnum ammo and it was dead nuts accurate. The trigger stacked a little, but it was smooth. I was an idiot for selling it, gonna have to do something about that one day.