The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
rajbcpa

What spare parts inventory to have for Hornady progressive press?

Since I got this new Hornady L-N-L progressive press about 6 weeks ago, I have broken an indexing pawl and a case retaining spring.

Hornady Customer Service replaced these parts, and a few others including a bent primer guide rod that was too short from the factory....

The free replacement parts from Hornady Customer Service took 5 business days to arrive at my home.

Anyway, so I am now going to stock a few extra parts for the press so I will not be down and not be able to reload for 5 or more days. Some of the parts are not easy to find, however.

I found the following from midwayusa:

* Decapping pins (four - die related)
* Indexing pawls (two)
* Shell holder case retaining springs (three)
* Powder measure spring (two)
* Primer shuttle spring (two)
* Hub assembly - aliminum (out of stock)

Are there any other spare parts I should have on hand? Is there a better place to get spare parts? Hornady does not sell directly to the public; right?

Thx...
Old October 6, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2
bbqncigars

A spare primer shuttle in each size. The only spring you can't easily get at a decent hardware store is the case retainer. I also put a lockwasher under the shell plate bolt to help keep it from backing out. Keep a small brush handy to occasionally brush any debris from underneath the shell plate. Good lighting is a nice thing to have so you can give each case the hairy eyeball for powder level check. Go look at inlinefabrication.com for some nice accessories for your press. Just a happy customer.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Petespacking

I have the same spares as you except for the hub. I've loaded over 4000 rounds of 9 and .45 and have not had any problems and haven't' used any spare parts. I keep my press clean and well greased and it runs great. I bought a cheap LED desk light with a flexible neck so I can position the light (about 2" in diameter) to shine right into the case where I set the bullet. I'm a very happy customer.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:49 AM   #4
noylj

One indexing pawl. In about 30 years of using Hornady progressives, I have chipped/fractured one pawl.
Several case retention springs (these will continue to work after being mangled badly, but they work better if you treat them right.
Most parts will be replaced free if you can wait a week for shipment.
You really think you need those other parts? You're going to have to really FORCE things to break the drive hub.
The wire primer cam, that actuates the primer slide, can be bent during a move to a new house. The little plastic part that connects it to the press at the top (not shown in the part drawing) can crack, Hornady told me, so they sent a new one. This might be a part to have on hand. If the slide suddenly isn't picking up primers, this part may have cracked and you have too much flex in the primer cam wire.
I deprime before case cleaning, so I haven't broken a decapping pin in about 20 years. I still have the pack of five Lee replacement pins, somewhere, for the universal depriming die.
If you tighten the sizing die down with a case in the die, you will get better alignment between the flash hole and the depriming pin.
If you ever, incorrectly, force anything, you will probably suddenly need several other parts very quickly.
The weakest links in any progressive press are:
1) the priming system
and
2) the indexing system--
with 1) being by far the most temperamental (whether Lee, Hornady, RCBS, or Dillon).
For all progressives (red, green, blue, and "natural" steel)--Keep the unit CLEAN. Remove all cases when something goes wrong and find the problem without forcing anything. At this time, remove the shell plate and clean everything. When you spill some powder, clean up the press immediately. Steal an unused make-up brush from your wife or GF for brushing the unit.

Last edited by noylj; October 8, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:19 PM   #5
dickttx

My LnL came with an extra case retaining spring, and I e-mailed Hornady and requested some spare primer slide springs. They sent me three. They are so small that my fumble fingers are sure to sent one across the garage when I change primer sizes. Don't really know what else you would need. But then I try to stay enough ahead to not have to reload but every couple of weeks.