The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 25, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
buntingmiester

remington humpback

hello, new member here, nc. does anyone make the 10 shot mag extension for old remington, i have a 25" barrel that i want to cut down to 20",with the larger mag tube. thanks in advance, buntingmiester
Old August 25, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings buntingmiester, and welcome aboard.

How much longer than the barrel can the mag be and still keep you happy?
Old August 25, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
amd6547

I have heard that Remington 870 extensions can be used, but require a spacer.
Old August 26, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple things....

I too have heard that 870 extensions will work with an adapter/spacer. But, if you're going to add a LONG extension, why lop the barrel off at all?

And, since this is recoil operated, reducing the barrel weight by shortening it will mean increased battering of the receiver, especially with heavy loads.

Also, since this is recoil operated, the mag tube cannot be clamped to the barrel, so it's much more vulnerable to damage.

That fiber buffer in the receiver is at least 60 years old. New ones are around, and it makes sense to add a new buffer and replace all the springs and friction parts.

Were I putting together a practical model 11, and I've toyed with the idea for years, it would have that ring/spring/buffer makeover, a two shot extension for 6+1 capacity, a good pad and at least 23" of barrel. That barrel would have a long forcing cone, a night sight and Mike Orlen, Carlson or the Brileys would install choke tubes.

Oh,yes, welcome aboard......
Old September 2, 2012, 07:15 AM   #5
buntingmiester

remington humpback

thanks for replies, i have been away from computer awhile, sorry for the delay. i have had the gun apart once and put it back in safe, didn't notice fiber pad? maybe a missing item. working the action by hand, the slide doesn't return to battery without a nudge foreword it's hanging up somewhere. never thought about barrel weight, makes sense to though, wonder if with less barrel weight you could compensate with heavier recoil spring? about tube extension, the possibility for damage, sounds pretty high, is there any way of making a longer tube more secure? the barrel on gun is missing front sight, so i thought that for a house/truck gun i would shorten it to the length of the tube extension, did not know you could get a forcing cone installed,great news! thanks all for replies, buntingmiester
Old September 2, 2012, 08:01 AM   #6
J A

Other options???

Those old Remingtons are not being made anymore. They are nice, solid steel works of art compared to some of todays offerings. If I wanted/needed a short barrel home defense gun the 870 Express or Mossberg 500 can be found fairly cheap and parts are everywhere.
If the old Remington is not now working reliably, how will it work after modification? The age of the Remington may suggest more repairs and parts needed in the future. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old September 2, 2012, 08:49 AM   #7
amd6547

I got my Remington from a private seller at a gun show, for $175. The barrel had been shortened to 20" when I bought it...looked like a professional job.
The fore end had a couple thin cracks, which is common. Right now, it is wearing a Ramline Browning Auto 5 fore end.
I want to put a two round extension on it...just trying to figure out what kind of spacer to use. I read someplace that there is an 870 side sling mount which works.
To those who wonder why one would bother with an old Remington...you must not have shot one. When you drop the bolt on a Model 11, it sounds like a bank vault slamming shut.
Shooting it rapidfire is an incredible experience...I once watched my friend shoot mine as fast as he could pull the trigger...all five empty shells were in the air, and put all five 00 buck loads on the 25yd target.
It is a John Browning designed shooting machine...there may be newer and cheaper, but they aren't...Browning.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
LOLBELL

^ Amen - preach on bro
Old September 2, 2012, 03:49 PM   #9
J A

amd6547

I do understand the love of an A5 shotgun. I have my late Father's Savage Automatic which is a Browning Patent gun. It was made in the late '30s and has killed more game than all of my other guns combined. It will be passed down to my son in the near future. And a Light 12 Belguim A5 that has seen little use. Both are prized possesions and have places of honor in the safe.
That said if I had the Remington I would not modify it but would shoot it and enjoy it.
A dedicated home defense gun needs to be reliable if you are betting your life or the lives of your family on it working the first time every time. With a little time spent looking, a short barreled Rem. 870 Express or Mossy 500 can be found pretty reasonable priced. Owning two shotguns is much more fun than owning one.
Old September 2, 2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Old_Crow

deleted
Old September 2, 2012, 08:28 PM   #11
amd6547

Well, I don't have to look for a low cost Mossberg...I have one.
I take out my Remington Model 11 once in a while and put it through its paces. It loves 00 buck.
Mine is not a safe queen, nor is it a collector item. It is a working shotgun.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:26 PM   #12
2001FLHr

I know this is an old thread but someone showed it to me.

I would love to see pictures of the Ramline forend. The A5 and Rem. 11 have barrel alignment rings that are about two inches different in placement on the barrels. The for end holds the barrel in correct position in the receiver. You cannot do this with out modification that I know of.

The replacement buffers and a brownish grey color and you can still get the rivets. BUT it is far easier to install these with a little modification to them and set them in with Poly Choke rib epoxy.

870/1100 extensions can be used from Fred Choate. He can also sell you this in the white and unassembled. I can mount the two shot extensions from him and actually get 7 shells in the magazine tube and no spacer. The 870/1100 is easier to contend with the spacer though.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:36 PM   #13
amd6547

"...I would love to see pictures of the Ramline forend. The A5 and Rem. 11 have barrel alignment rings that are about two inches different in placement on the barrels. The for end holds the barrel in correct position in the receiver. You cannot do this with out modification that I know of. .."

Hmmm...when I assembled my Model 11 with the Ramline forend, it went on precisely like the original wood, the barrel is in the proper position in the reciever, the magazine cap threaded on normally, and there is no binding or other problems...and no more cracked forend.
My Model 11 is a very early one.
I gave the Ramline stock a try after reading a thread elsewhere about success using this product. As that thread noted, the lower tang would need to be bent in order to use the Auto 5 Ramline buttstock.