The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 16, 2002, 08:50 PM   #1
automainea

surefire lights

are the little sure fire lights worth what they cost? i was thinking of buying one but needed some advice on them,how bright are they and what is the most popular model thanks
Old January 16, 2002, 09:43 PM   #2
Slish

Got Two of 'EM

I have had the 6P for just about a year. I've upgraded it from the stock 65 lumen lamp assembly to the "high-powered" 110 (or is it 120) lumen assembly for better tactical useage.

I recently purchased E2s for my children, their spouses and my girlfriend. They are also the 65 lumen output.

Price on the 6P was about $56 through Blade-Tech when I ordered my paddle mag / light carrier. Price on the E2s (with Hard Anodized finish) through Lagger.com was in the neighborhood of $67 each IIRC.

Are they worth it? So far as I am concerned, YES, but I do have to admit they are expensive! But... when I compare their light output to my police issue Maglight... no contest. Especially for civilian use - go for it!
Old January 17, 2002, 09:50 AM   #3
Lightfighter

The tiny executive series lights are so amazing, I am surprised that HCI hasn't moved against them yet! Yes, they are worth every nickle.
Old January 17, 2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
are the little sure fire lights worth what they cost?
Simply put... YES!

I've had a 6Z for about 8 years, it is still running strong. Got a C2 a little over a year ago... great light. Next purchase will be a couple E1s (for myself and wife) and a 10X Dominator.

If not abused your Surefire should last a lifetime. Not may other lights will so given the cost v optional life expectency IMO they are the best deal out there.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old January 17, 2002, 10:39 AM   #5
Foxy

I have 2 8NX Commanders (rechargeable polymer 110lumens) and my friend has one of hte 9ANX (the hard anodized rechargeable 140lumen ones). They are incredibly bright. I think my retinas have been damaged by staring into them too often, but wow - they leave a big purple blob in the middle of your eyes for minutes.

I put up some comparison pictures of a Surefire vs a 2AA Mini-Maglight here:
http://counterstrikefox.freeservers.com/sf8nx.html

I would recommend a rechargeable. They chew through batteries pretty fast and lithiums might get expensive fast...
Old January 17, 2002, 03:10 PM   #6
Hellequin

First oneI got was a model 6P. Then I got a 6Z.

After giving those ones away to my girlfriend and brother I got a Centurion D2 model.

Best Flashlights ever!!! Are they worth it???

You can bet your ass they are. This things are the brightest and powerful flashlights ever made. They are compact, light and quite ergonomic. Small size means you will carry it. The new belt clip gets the job done.

If you are going to carry a gun----carry a SureFire flashlight!!

Consider buying a M3 for your car.
Old January 17, 2002, 04:20 PM   #7
KSFreeman

Another hearty endorsement for the E2. The Mil Falcon rocks, but is bulky.
Old January 17, 2002, 08:17 PM   #8
Size15s

Even when abused, the SureFire Millennium Series will last.

I've destroyed and ruined lots of SureFires to test their operational limits. Perhaps the toughest models is the M2.

It has no equal amoung other brands. It is the current King of 2 cell SF123A lights.

Al
Old January 18, 2002, 12:44 PM   #9
Jaydeman666

good flashlight review website

Check out this review page that dicusses a large number of popular personal flashlights as well..
http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/flash1.htm
Old January 18, 2002, 01:04 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

The price/value relationship is going to be an individualistic thing. Sure Fire lights are very good quality lights. Most come with fixed reflectors that are properly oriented for the best output, the bulbs being part of the reflector. If you need that quality of light, then they are worth the money. It is sort of like with guns. You can buy a $1000 .22 lr rifle that will be balls on accurate, but do you need such a rifle for shooting squirrels or could you get by with a $100 .22 lr?

Sure Fires are expensive. For my 2 battery one (Z3 or Z9? - I don't recall), the replacement bulbs are $17 each. That too is steep. Lights do not come with batteries.

I have compromised some. I like Scorpion flashlights. At $30-35, a 2-cell scorpion runs about 1/2 of the price of the 2-celled Sure-fires, even less when you consider the Sure Fire price does not include batteries or a spare bulb. The scorpions come with one set of batteries, plus there is a replacement bulb contained within the light's bulb assembly. Replacement bulbs run about $5.
Old January 18, 2002, 02:11 PM   #11
Size15s

That's not my experience!

EVERY SureFire I have bought, has come with batteries, Either Duracell Ultras or now SureFire SF123As.

With respect to the Scorpion (it is better then the Brinkmann LX so I'm told) the bulbs are cheap because they do not last as long.
SureFire lamps (especially the P60/1 and MN01/3 are very tough.

Al
Old January 19, 2002, 12:36 PM   #12
GySgt D

I'm curious as to how much y'all pay for your 123 batteries. The local drugstore sells them for about $8 each, but I can get them for $2.55 each on base.
Old January 19, 2002, 10:54 PM   #13
Wayne D

Ten dollars and some change for a pack of two at Wal-Mart

"vegetarian" - old Indian word for lousy shot
Old January 20, 2002, 11:48 AM   #14
Lightfighter

Try www.cheapbatteries.com
Old January 20, 2002, 11:50 AM   #15
Lightfighter

I found the link to the direct page:

http://www.cheapbatteries.com/photo.htm

$1.75 each For 123A batteries.
Old January 21, 2002, 06:17 PM   #16
M1911

Surefire is the way to go. The only flashlight I have where the light output itself is a weapon. Flash that puppy in someone's eyes and you've blinded them for several seconds.

M1911
Old January 24, 2002, 09:20 PM   #17
KSFreeman

M1911, ahhh, Brasshopper, just be wary of mirrors!!!
Old January 25, 2002, 09:26 AM   #18
Sarge203

Surefire lights are expensive, but I will no longer buy any other brand for the following reasons:

1) Customer service. I sent them an e-mail asking about a replacement battery for my rechargable combat light, and expressed disappointement that the original battery had only lasted a year (about 50 charge cycles). I recieved a reply back qiuckly, along with a new battery and lamp module without charge.

2) Durability. For example: Investigating a burglar alarm at a business one night, I slipped and fell down (hard) in the middle of a 6" deep mud puddle, in a pouring down rainstorm. During the fall, I dropped my combat light went into the water. 10 minutes later I found it completly submerged. I wiped the mud off the lens and was back in business.

You get what you pay for.
Old January 25, 2002, 09:41 AM   #19
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

GySgt D

Welcome Aboard. Nice to see another of the Tribe.

Not sure if you've seen this before but it is probably my favorite quote, I think you'll enjoy it also.

Quote:
“We note that on the Eastern Watershed and elsewere there is a tendency to refer to shooters as “Gunnies.”

We would like to point out that the term “Gunnie” (or “Gunny”) implies the rank of Gunnery Sergeant, U. S. Marine Corps, which is a very high and holy position.

We are all shooters, but few of us can aspire to the title "Gunnie."

Jeff Cooper, Apr 1985
Ya just can't argue with sensability and knowledge Col Copper possesses.

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"