The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 23, 2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Drachenstein

SOG M1 Garand

Just got in a M1 Garand ordered from SOG - hand select. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. Some minor pitting and a little interior surface rust that's all sitting in a vat of cleaner right now. All parts are SA and the bore looks good. I would gage it if I could find my gage but I fear that has gone the way of my post hole digger; borrowed and not returned. The wood is in good condition, just dirty, a little dinged from age, but no cracks or repairs. Got it in two days which sure beats CMPs delivery time. I wonder if these are from the Korean cache everyone is talking about. If it gages 3-5 I'll be one happy camper.

Frank
Old October 23, 2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Chipperman

Cool.
What does it have for import marks?
Old October 23, 2009, 07:56 AM   #3
rattletrap1970

Dings and dents

If you have dings and dents in the stock (and they aren't sharp creases or scratches) you can get them out most of the time.
Lay a wet and very well squeezed out washcloth over the damaged area and hold a clothes iron (on high "cottons") to the cloth. The heat and steam produced will raise up the dented areas. I "Ironed" an entire stock on an old beat up mauser and got almost all the dents out.
Old October 23, 2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Drachenstein

On the right hand side of the barrel, in small letters; C.A.I. Geogia VT.

As far as the dings and such, I consider them personality. As long as there aren't any cracks. I cleaned the stock today with murphy's oil soap and then applied boiled linseed oil. Much the same as is used to clean Luger grips. Looks good