The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2000, 08:40 PM   #1
Trigger Jerk

I am getting back into casting bullets. I'll stick pretty much to pistol calibers for now. My question is...which lube is best for what?

20 years ago when I quit casting, there were only a couple of choices, no big deal. Now as I look at my Midway cataloge there are over 20 to choose from, just from Midway.

I understand the difference and the need for a different lube between black powder and smokeless and even the difference between rifle and pistol. Most of the lubes (in the Midway cat) don't tell you what they are supposedly best for. Maybe someone can help me choose a lube.

What are some of your favorite lubes...and why?
Old March 11, 2000, 12:21 AM   #2
Jack Straw

I've been using Lyman Super Moly for low velocity pistol loads and full power .44mag loads and I've very pleased with it so far.

Jack

Old March 11, 2000, 03:14 AM   #3
Paul B.

Trigger Jerk. I guess it depends on what you plan on shooting. The NRA formula works pretty well on target loads, and even on some rifle loads. That is the 50/50 Alox/beeswax mixture. My only complaint is it is a bit messy, and I don't care for the oder. I use it anyway.
For the more potent loads, I use Lyman's Magic Orange. It is one of the hard lubes, along with LBT Blue (no longer available due to the IRS) And I think Rooster Red falls into the hard lube category as well. (I have not used that one, but have heard good things about it) Hard lubes require that you place a heater on your luber-sizer. I have 2 luber-sizers, one set up for the NRA formula and the other with a heater for the hard lubes.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Paul B.
Old March 11, 2000, 05:47 AM   #4
johnnybravo

I like Thompson's blue angel. It requires a lubrisizer heater set @ 125 degrees. Their bear lube works nice, too, setting your heater @ 110 degrees. I don't have a thermostat on my heater, I just set it to where the lube flows nice. I went to the hard lubes for convenience only, as I don't have to stack my sized bullets in a wood box. This cuts out an entire step in the handling process.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.