The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old September 10, 2012, 11:01 PM   #26
Scorch

Quote:
the bolt felt like complete crap and the internal magizine is alright but the device used to push the bullets upwards is embarssing it was difficult to get back into the gun and it bounced around and made the rifle look much cheaper then it was priced
Hmmm.

The bolt is a copy of a Mauser bolt. The original Mauser design has been acknowledged as one of the best designs in the world for over a century. The magazine follower/spring assembly was designed by Mauser for the 1892 rifles, and has been a standard and much copied feature of many rifles ever since. I know Brownings are different, but the Ruger is both well-made and a solid design. The fat-bolt designs (Tikka and Browning) feel different, but are not any better. But hey, at least you liked the Model 70 . . .
Old September 10, 2012, 11:02 PM   #27
sc928porsche

Hummmmm.........I have an old M77R in 300WM that has serviced me well for 40 years. A LOT of game has been harvested with it. Still very accurate (cloverleaf at 100yds). Bluing is still great. Stock is still beautiful. I was lucky, I had a choice of 3 in stock and purchased the pretty one. Nice wood grain, nice finish, stock fit the metal without large gaps. I had it for 2 years before I noticed that the barrel was a bit longer than other Rugers in the camps. The barrel is 26" and not 24". Yes, I checked the measurement several times and measured from muzzle to bolt face with bolt closed and locked. Your guess is as good as mine as to how it ended up with a 26" barrel. The bolt is smooth and solid. Less slop when opened than on a Remington. Magazine follower is stamped steel, but heavily built and fits the magazine well closely so there isn't much slop there either. I've heard a lot of complaints about Rugers rifles on the internet, but I have yet to run across one that was bad.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:24 AM   #28
tulsamal

I bought one of the new Ruger Gunsite rifles this summer. Very pleased. Well, except for the OEM 10 round metal magazine. That never did make sense to me. I ordered all three versions of mags in polymer from Midway, 3, 5, and 10 round. (The 10 round polymer is shorter than the 10 round metal one.) After playing around with all of them, I decided the five round polymer was my new standard for the rifle.

I would still like to change out the factory flash hider. Never did like the looks of the Ruger Mini 14 style flash hider. But that's an aesthetics issue, not a functional one. The action of the rifle is nice. The trigger is even decent for a stock factory rifle. I've only fired it so far with the iron sights and I was easily clanging my 100 yard steel gong with surplus 7.62 NATO. Got to figure out what I want to do as far as an optic. Whether I want to go conventional scope or try a scout type.

Gregg
Old September 11, 2012, 08:35 AM   #29
PawPaw

Quote:
but the device used to push the bullets upwards is embarssing it was difficult to get back into the gun and it bounced around and made the rifle look much cheaper
It's called a follower and the two on my 77s work as intended. Both of ours are early tang-safety 77s in .25-06 and they'll shoot into MOA all day long. I think what was probably embarrassing was not knowing how to operate a hinged floorplate.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 11, 2012, 10:41 AM   #30
Salmoneye

My experiences with Rugers are not the same as the OP...

'Rock Solid' comes to mind...
Old September 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #31
meatgrinder42

This is kind of a noob question on my part but don't all the new Ruger bolts use their rotary magazines now? I'm just thinking about it because he was describing a standard internal box mag and not too long ago looked at what I think was a m77 and I thought it had a rotary mag... could be wrong but hence why I asked.

The only experience I have with Ruger rifles is the 10/22 I bought a few months ago... and with the exception of some crappy magazines I bought it runs like a top.
Old September 11, 2012, 11:27 AM   #32
tahunua001

negative. their M77 rotarys all fire pistol cartridges like 357 mag, 44, mag and I might be wrong but I think theres a 45 long colt as well.

their bottleneck chambered rifles still use traditional magazines.
Old September 11, 2012, 12:12 PM   #33
geetarman

Methinks the OP is overthinking the follower.

When you open the floor plate, the follower and the associated spring fall out.

Don't overthink how it goes back in.

There must be some flexibility and spring for you to be able to load the magazine.

Push the top of the follower into the magazine well as you close the trap door.

This isn't brain surgery. My 77Vs as well as the two Rem700s I have all work the same way and they work well.

If you are not familiar with how they work, don't blame the gun.

Bolt guns are SWEET!!!

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 11, 2012, 12:14 PM   #34
dgludwig

I've owned, shot and hunted with Ruger bolt-action center-fire rifles since I bought my first one in the early seventies. I currently own two of the original Model 77s and two MKIIs, along with a Number One and a Mini-14. I can't speak for Ruger's latest renditions because I have yet to use one but, when considering factory-made bolt-action rifles, it's my opinion that nobody builds better ones than Ruger does in terms of material, workmanship or design. I will concede that some Model 77s could benefit from a lighter trigger pull...
Old September 11, 2012, 12:18 PM   #35
theinvisibleheart

check Cz
Old September 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #36
Metal god

I bought the new American rifle when they came out . I'm very happy with it . I shoot 3/4 moa with it so it's accurate . I think the bolt is awesome . It does not rattle around and is pretty smooth . I have felt some nicer bolts but not for the money . If you want to feel a rattle trap of a bolt .Try the mossberg MVP , The American is so much smoother then the MVP . The stock is pretty cheep and I'm not a big fan . the trigger is very nice and crisp , no complaints there . I paid just under $400 out the door . Im not sure you can beat the price to feature/quality ratio .

OH did I mention its AMERICAN made

100 yards , Federal gold metal match on front and rear bag

Last edited by Metal god; September 11, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old September 11, 2012, 02:50 PM   #37
impalacustom

Quote:
But hey, at least you liked the Model 70 . . ...
LMAO, I am glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.
Old September 11, 2012, 03:38 PM   #38
berettaprofessor

Wow, Metal God, that's a pretty nice group for a cheap factory rifle! I think I just started looking for one.
Old September 12, 2012, 07:43 PM   #39
roc1

I had a new Hawkeye roughest bolt ever felt. I sent to Ruger 2x and was better but never smooth. My old 77 was a lot better rifle for sure. It is a shame because the Ruger is a beautiful gun. I have a friend that has one and same rough bolt. I will stay with my Remington's Savages and CZ for now.
Roc1
Old September 12, 2012, 07:50 PM   #40
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Mine sucks.... it shoots this bad all the time...

Ruger M77 MkII .204Ruger, roughly .368MOA

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 12, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:37 PM   #41
comn-cents

I wonder how much a bolt being "rough" affects the performance of a gun. Does it make it less accurate? Less reliable? Less effective? Humm
Old September 12, 2012, 10:33 PM   #42
KBP

Ruger rifles are not for everyone

I have had lots of different rifles in the last 50 years and still own several. The ones I shoot the most are my Ruger Model 77 in 243 and 30-06. They are both stainless steel models with composit stocks. They are made for hunting in all types of weather. They are completely reliable, accurate and work great. I suspect the guy that doesn't like the Rugers never shot or hunted with one. Sort of an arm chair evaluator. Ruger rifles are for hunters and shooters.

Last edited by KBP; September 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old September 13, 2012, 07:36 AM   #43
BIG P

Seems like a little more research would be a good idea.I think I'd look at more than one before I said some crap like that.People might think you dont know what your talking about,
Old September 13, 2012, 08:48 AM   #44
geetarman

Quote:
Mine sucks.... it shoots this bad all the time...
Peetza,

A good smith could fix that fer 'ya

LOL

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 13, 2012, 09:38 AM   #45
RevGeo

I have a Ruger #1 .243 with a 4-digit serial number and a Mod 77 .35 Whelen I bought in 1992 and both are beautiful, solid rifles that shoot accurately and have never given me one iota of trouble.
I also have a 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" in .41 Mag and it is a thing of beauty to shoot.
To badmouth all Rugers because of one example in a shop is just plain ignorant.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:38 AM   #46
bcarver

mag spring

My Winchester mag is as you described. I don't understand how this is a problem. They use a flat spring for a reason. It allows more rounds.
I have not seen the new rifles but know the M77 and #1 are fine rifles.
Old September 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #47
ltc444

Just finished working in a new load and scope on my 308 M-77 T. Shot 6 rounds 5 touched in a ragged 1/2" hole. 1 flyer, my fault".

I guess I need to junk it.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:11 PM   #48
warbirdlover

My Ruger 77 Mk II all-weather stainless .300 Win Mag in it's new Boyds laminated stock (pillar & glass bedded & free floated barrel by gunsmith) will put them all in one hole if I can hold that well. Always under an inch. I've got a sweet shooting Remington 700 .270 Win that shoots under an inch but can't touch the Ruger.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:30 PM   #49
chucknbach

Ruger Compact .243 3" to 4" at 100 with factory ammo. Took some work and $ but now it can shoot 1 hole. I judge it how it came to me (out of the box). There are too many other brands that will shoot better than 1 MOA to mess around with a Ruger.

I've had 2 new Rugers that couldn't shoot worth a darn. I won't buy another one.

The other one was a 10/22.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:53 PM   #50
chucknbach

Here's what it can consistently shoot now.

In the past few years I've bought Remington, Browning, Howa and Tikka all of them out shot the Ruger out of the box. They all shot better than 1" with no work done to them. All but 1 of those rifles was cheaper than the Ruger. Not now though.
Closed Thread