The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1
GUNVICE

What happened?

About a month ago while at the range, my son-in-law was shooting my 1911
(.45 ACP) and called me over due to a problem. He had some blood on his cheek and the slide of the pistol was stuck in battery. I was able to forcibly pull the mag out and along with it came a deformed cartridge. The bullet (200gr. lead semi-wadcutter was driven into the case and the tip looked as though it had been gouged. The mag was ruined; floor plate bent outward, welds broken and the spring forever reduced to about 1/3 its normal at-rest length.

At first, I thought maybe a pierced primer/split case scenario or maybe an accidental double-charge of powder which naturally could cause the other. This load load uses 5 gr. of W-231 and Win. primers; a mild load, but way over the top with a double-charge.

Happy ending......my son-in-law is fine and the gun undamaged. If anyone has had a similar experience or any further insight on this, I would appreciate your input.
Old December 23, 2005, 03:27 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Sounds like a squib load. No powder. The primer alone is enough to push the bullet out of the case and usually into the barrel. Normally, a squib will cause a bulged barrel. Look for a ring in the barrel. A double charge would be much worse.
Old December 23, 2005, 09:37 AM   #3
Rimrod

It sounds more like a feeding problem. The bullets are being pushed back into the case on feeding causing excessive pressure and the bullet being forced into the web of the case would cause it to bulge and lock the slide up. It may be due to either the feed ramp not made for semi wadcutters or not enough crimp. With the damage to the bullet you described I would look at the feed ramp first.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake