The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 10, 2015, 11:22 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I haven't had it "varnish" anything yet. This is mostly an Internet myth.

It may be mostly an internet myth but I have seen it in real life. When my father passed on, I had to manage his guns. He hadn't touched them in probably 10 years, or more. A couple of his guns were literally varnished shut. His Colt Govt model, stored in a dresser drawer, mag loaded, chamber empty. When I cleared the gun, the slide moves slooowly forward, stopping about half way shut.

Savage 99, varnished shut to the point were the safety lever could not be moved and the action could not be opened.

Liberal application of WD-40 dissolved the varnish (dried oil), allowing actions to be opened and the guns broken down for a proper cleaning. It takes some time, but with enough time, oil turns to sludge, and sludge turns to shellac.

Or something very closely resembling it.

As to oiling a gun until it is dripping? Some of the top pistol competitors from the 80s, & 90s have remarked on how they like to run their 1911s "wet", meaning not actually dripping oil, but almost. I've never run mine that way, but then I'm not a speedracer kind of shooter, either.
Old February 11, 2015, 10:20 AM   #27
Qtiphky

Has Remoil Changed?

I have used Remoil for many years and have never had a problem. However, a buddy of mine said that they have recently changed their formula and now put "silica" in it which is like "sand" and causes scratches and such. I have a new can and haven't noticed any of this yet. Is this true? I also use CLP at times and that seems really slick, almost to the point that I can't wipe it off and my fingers get real greasy.
Old February 11, 2015, 11:15 AM   #28
Captains1911

Remoil is too thin a dries up too fast compared to pretty much every other gun oil I have tried. I do like it for knives though.
Old February 11, 2015, 03:03 PM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
It may be mostly an internet myth but I have seen it in real life.
I have also dealt with it -- twice. Old oil turns to goo, after that it turns hard and parts that need to move do NOT move. Did this on a nearly new late 80's Taurus Model 669 (actually a very nice revolver if you aren't familiar with the vintage) and I had the same problem with an early 90's era Colt King Cobra. And I attacked the problem with two different methods.

With the Taurus, I went inside after tapping off the sideplate and I tool all the guts out and I cleaned every bit with Hoppes#9 and careful scrubbing with patches and Q-tips. This made the Taurus act once again like the nearly new revolver that it had been before sitting in storage for 15 years. It's been 5 years since I cleaned out that Taurus and it works great.

The Colt revolver is far more involved when it comes to removing the sideplate and I really wanted no part of that. So I took the factory rubber grip off, took it outside and I sprayed the ever-lovin' crap out of it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Then I worked the action and sprayed it some more, and then I did it more. To say that I used this stuff liberally would be correct. It cleared up the sticking issue I had inside the Colt and it has not returned. Did this one two years ago.
Old February 11, 2015, 05:31 PM   #30
Webologist

Has anyone used Mobil 1?

Exclusively. My guns stay wet for months in the safe and it doesn't burn off during shooting. When it's time to clean, mostly wipe off dirty oil and relube. (except for gas rings and barrel/chamber)

Areas that slide also get a thin coat of Tetra gun grease. No wear, no rust, guns stay wet, easy to clean. Huge improvement over RemOil or Hoppes...
Old February 11, 2015, 05:48 PM   #31
Skans

While WD-40 is probably not the best lubricant out there, it will do in a pinch and certainly isn't the worst. I use it on my hunting rifle when it gets wet or damp as soon as I come inside. It repels water nicely.

Here are some not-so-good lubricants:

STP
Slick 50
break fluid or any hydraulic fluid
KY Jelly
Old February 11, 2015, 07:50 PM   #32
Bultaco

OK. I have to ask. How would KY jelly end up on your gun cleaning bench and what thought process would have you applying it to a firearm?
Old February 12, 2015, 12:29 AM   #33
walks with gun

I suppose in this day and age Whale oil would be a no-no. I've been using 3-1 oil and white lithium for 40 years now and have been happy, I use a lot less in winter conditions though. A can of WD-40 is handy to displace water followed with a oil wipe down.
Old February 12, 2015, 08:20 AM   #34
Skans

Quote:
OK. I have to ask. How would KY jelly end up on your gun cleaning bench and what thought process would have you applying it to a firearm?
Old February 12, 2015, 08:41 AM   #35
UncleEd

IIRC the Illinois State Police in its early use of the Smith Model 39 used WD-40.

As troopers learned, the stuff drained out or dried out and their 9mm pistols jammed.

This was in the late 1960s, early '70s.
Old February 13, 2015, 09:33 PM   #36
Elkins45

WD40 is a good choice if you just recovered your gun from the bottom of a pond. Otherwise it would not be something I would choose.

IMO you just can't beat a 2-1-1 mix of ATF, Mobil 1 and STP. Penetration, heat resistant lubrication and amazing cling.
Old February 15, 2015, 12:48 AM   #37
vkeith

Remoil gets my vote for worst gun lubricant.
Old February 17, 2015, 03:05 AM   #38
Nail Shooter

I tried Mobil 1 for awhile. It gummed up the bolt of my AR. Never again.

No such troubles with Rem Oil.
Old February 17, 2015, 03:56 AM   #39
Snyper

Quote:
I hear it helps with penetration
Old February 17, 2015, 06:50 AM   #40
Mobuck

"Worst; WD-40 for sure and Rem oil is marginal at best"
Please elaborate on your "problems" so we can determine the lab procedure used to reach these findings.

" When my father passed on, I had to manage his guns. He hadn't touched them in probably 10 years, or more."
Based on the statement that the guns weren't "touched" for a decade, I think you should be happy to find they weren't RUSTED beyond recognition rather than demeaning the product that protected them for that period.

I quit using WD-40 when the formulation changed to non-flammable. This took away much of what I needed the product to do. I found other(more volatile) products that have better results although much more dangerous to use. A few years back, I got a great deal on aerosol Rem-Lube and have used it for general use(two full cases worth) w/o noticing any real difficulties.
I work with farm/construction equipment and can honestly say "the worst lube is the one not used as recommended OR not used at all".
Old February 17, 2015, 10:45 PM   #41
Dragline45

Rem Oil, far too thin for anything other than rust prevention. I do use it in my magazines and buffer tubes though because when it dries it leaves behind a dry film of teflon lubricant.
Old February 24, 2015, 05:06 AM   #42
CajunBass

I don't generally use WD-40, but if it's what I got it will do the job. Not a bad solvent really, at least for cleaning the gunk out of a shotgun barrel. I've never had any problem with WD-40, but then I don't soak my guns in it, then leave it on for 10-12 years. I spay it on, and wipe it off. YMMV.

These days, I generally use some stuff marked as "gun oil." I get it at the LGS, or Wal-Mart, or wherever. Cost a couple of bucks for a small bottle, but I'm not drinking it, so it lasts a good while. Some of it is Hoppes, some is Outers, and probably some other brands. I use it on fishing reels too. As a matter of fact, I use "fishing reel" oil on guns too, now that I think about it.

There might be something that works better. I never bothered looking for it.

What doesn't work? I generally don't use any grease at all. I used to use it on semi-auto slide rails, but that was about it. Eventually I just started putting a drop of oil on them too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 25, 2015, 03:26 AM   #43
Noreaster

When we ran Sigs I used WD40 and had a malfunction at the worst time and almost paid the ultimate price. I went to Sig and was told to never use WD40 as it dries out the gun, it does not lubricate (Sig words not mine.) Also the State Game Wardens had trouble with WD40 and would not allow it's officers to use it. Rem oil has worked fine for my Glocks but on heavy use during the range with M4 rifles, Rem 870 police shotgun and Sigs classic series I found Rem Oil does not hold up well and requires repeated application during training, unlike TW25 or even break free CLP. This is my experience others may have different experiences.
Old February 25, 2015, 04:52 PM   #44
crazy charlie

What is the worst lubricant, home remedy?
Crisco.
Why? Because it's shortening
You start out with a 6" bbl. and end up with a snub nose if you're not careful.
Old February 27, 2015, 07:20 PM   #45
johnwilliamson062

Remoil is a standout failure to me especialy since it is marketed for the purpose. I bought some individually packed wipes almost ten years ago. I still have them as I only use them in emergencies at the range to wipe things down. It is super light and then seems to evaporates within days.
Old February 28, 2015, 12:11 AM   #46
MattShlock

WD-40

Smells great, but forms a shellac-like hard coating on stuff after years (I've experienced this long before there WAS an internet!) that's hard to remove and does necessarily protect things from rusting well then if disturbed.

LOVE RemOil -- light, sweet, dry Teflon infused.

Last edited by MattShlock; February 28, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old February 28, 2015, 02:19 AM   #47
chip86

IMO froglube is crap

has gummed up a few of my striker fired pistols, and yes i applied it right.
Old February 28, 2015, 03:22 AM   #48
Bill DeShivs

Quote:
Smells great, but forms a shellac-like hard coating on stuff after years (I've experienced this long before there WAS an internet!) that's hard to remove and does necessarily protect things from rusting well then if disturbed.
If you use WD 40 properly, this will never happen.
Old February 28, 2015, 05:33 AM   #49
PatientWolf

I've heard of people using motor oil, but I'd stay away from Arco Graphite since it could be kinda messy on a firearm.
Old March 1, 2015, 12:26 AM   #50
Model12Win

Rem oil really seems to disipate too quickly for my needs.

Bacon fat is not good as it has salt in it.