The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2007, 01:03 AM   #51
oldbillthundercheif

Quote:
Shooting an animal like a cape buffalo that's twice the size of a cow with a rifle isn't much of a challenge. I would hope anyone that could hit the broad side of a barn would be able to do that. Shot placement becomes a challenge a 10 year old could overcome when you're dealing with an animal that big and a rifle caliber of adequate size.
Ha!

Big animals that can kill you are always risky to hunt. You would reconsider your statement if you had a chance to look one of these beasts in the eye at close range.
Old February 14, 2007, 11:26 AM   #52
Mossy00

Most of these hunts are done by vehicle. The majority of the tracking is done on a vehicle. The hunter then steps off the vehicle and uses a tripod to shoot the buffalo-that's a joke. If you're talking about going into botswana on foot, for the entire hunt, camping in botswana for the night then that's a hunt.
Old February 14, 2007, 03:09 PM   #53
rem33

WOLF! I wanna kill a Wolf.
Old February 25, 2007, 03:47 PM   #54
Gbro

You better "SHUT UP" if you do.
Old February 25, 2007, 07:32 PM   #55
redhawk41

Quote:
You better "SHUT UP" if you do.
Actually, if things continue on their current course it will be perfectly legal:

"The state Senate voted 35-0 Tuesday to charge Idaho residents $9.75 to legally hunt a wolf once the predators are removed from federal protection, a development expected this year or early in 2008."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-20-20-19-46
Old February 26, 2007, 02:04 AM   #56
stuckon308

Why aren't you allowed to?
Old February 27, 2007, 07:23 AM   #57
Gbro

The Federal Gov. is just a little posessive about their Dog.

We (in MN) have been "USED", The USWS wanted to re-establish wolves into Wis., and thought by over populating MN it would work. It did, but we would have given thoes Cheese Heads all they wanted anyway. But really, it did work but we all got some negative feeling about it. first was the lying that was done, saying the MN population. was in danger.
Now the wolf is being de-listed. But there are a lot of strings attached.
Old February 27, 2007, 12:01 PM   #58
Yellowfin

In a perfect world I'd most love to bag an elk or moose to have not only the rack but also a substantial amount of meat to eat. Realistically, the dream hunt I will try to go on will be for antelope or bighorn sheep and I just inherited a pre '64 in .264 that's just the thing to use for it.
Old February 27, 2007, 12:55 PM   #59
Smoke Screen

CRAZY different varmints...Jackals in Africa, Dingoes in Australia...am I missing any??
Old February 28, 2007, 07:49 PM   #60
Kreyzhorse

I've got two; first is a Kentucky elk. I'm a Kentucky boy and really want a shot at a Kentucky elk. It's a testament to their reintroduction that in such a short time they now huntable.

Second, Cape Buffalo. I read above that a 10 yr old could make the shot on one but I disagree. I want to stalk one on foot and get a shot testing man vs animal. I know that 99.9% of them don't charge and turn deadly, but I would like to try my skills on a massive, bad-tempered animal.

And I'm well above 10yrs old but I'm guessing that whitetail and antelope don't compare....
Old February 28, 2007, 08:17 PM   #61
rem33

Quote:
I've got two; first is a Kentucky elk. I'm a Kentucky boy and really want a shot at a Kentucky elk
Great! I didn't know that, good news indeed. I didn't know elk had been reintroduced there.

Here's a dangerous hunt for you.
Maybe this is out of context here but it was hunting, Saw a film once of a Pygmy shoving a long spear into the ribs of a large elephant. He had gotten close keeping foliage between him and the elephant then shoved a long spear head between it's ribs. The elephant started tearing up the country side as the man keeping the brush between Him and the elephant sneaking away. Quite a piece of film.
They said the last man in the village to do that, the elephant had killed him.
Old March 1, 2007, 12:41 AM   #62
FirstFreedom

To add to prior post, after elk it will be Bison with Bow.