The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 24, 2004, 08:26 AM   #1
Nozler

When I was about to buy pay for my new suppressor...

I am planning on paying for my first Class 3 product today. I had wanted the AAC Pilot to go on a P22 but I saw a AAC Spider 9mm for only $25 more. Now I can't decide. I still lean towards the Pilot for my first purchase. Do you guys agree that my first can should be a .22 just like a kid's first rifle should be a .22?
Old June 24, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2
UnforgivenII

If I were you I would go ahead and get the 22 silencer. I've heard and read great reviews of it. I am not a fan of the 9 mm silencer. Not that the silencer isn't any good, but to really have all the benefits of a silencer you would need to use sub sonic ammo to have it truly quiet. The drawback to that is when you cut down the power of the 9mm it just ain't a good thing in my mind. If you want a centerfire silencer then you might want to look at a 45. Big,SLOW,bullet with plenty of power, and no need to get special sub sonic ammo to keep from breaking the sound barrier. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old June 24, 2004, 01:42 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Not wanting to argue - -

- -UnforgivenII, just a different perspective, for versatility's sake - - -

With an appropriate adaptor, it is possible to mount the 9mm suppressor on a .22, but doing the opposite is problematical. The 9x19mm cartridge develops a LOT of pressure to confine in a .22 can.

While not nearly so common as the faster 115 and 125 gr. ammo, the 147 gr. subsonic 9mm ammo is fairly easily found. Even slower moving 9mm is more powerful than standard velocity .22 LR.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 24, 2004, 03:25 PM   #4
UnforgivenII

No Offense taken Johnny

I didn't know that you could use the 9mm can on the 22 but now that I think about it it makes since. You brought up a very good point about the power issue. No offense taken, good to hear someone elses 2 cents too!
Old June 24, 2004, 10:48 PM   #5
Nozler

Anymore opinions?
Old June 25, 2004, 08:17 PM   #6
Benton

I own an AAC Scarab (same as the Pilot, but with a stainless steel tube instead of aluminum), an SWR integral suppressor .22 Ruger pistol, and an AWC MK9 for my Uzi subgun. My frequent shooting partner has an AAC Tactical .45 suppressor for his HK USP. Having experience with all these, I'd say go with the AAC Pilot.

If you are like most folks, the majority of your shooting time is spent plinking or target shooting - situations where power of the cartridge is of little consequence. Centerfire pistols are fun to shoot with silencers, but the cost is always higher than with a rimfire. Additionally, the .22 silencer is quieter than a centerfire pistol silencer of comparable quality.

The Pilot will be a very enjoyable item for you. You will probably end up shooting a lot more rounds than in the past because of the lesser annoyance to others and the lesser annoyance to yourself of time spent wearing earplugs or earmuffs. I've shot my P22 with the Scarab and it is an awful lot of fun. I use it even more on my CZ452. It is so wonderfully quiet on the rifle that it keeps my shooting from being bothering others nearby.

As for shooting through a 9mm can, it is true that it is an option. The main problem is the size of the suppressor in relation to the smaller arms designed in .22 caliber. It is a clumsy combination and the suppression is normally not as good as with a suppressor designed for .22s.
Old June 27, 2004, 09:00 AM   #7
Nozler

Thanks for the replies. I believe I will be going with the Pilot.
Old July 5, 2004, 08:44 AM   #8
TN-popo

A friend has an AAC "Entry" (.40) and the AAC "Pilot" (.22).
Mounted both on .22s...the Entry was alot quieter, and disrupted accuracy less, than the Pilot. Size was the only "pro" for the Pilot.

If I were you, I'd get the AAC 9mm can. AAC's .40 can has a screwy, non-standard, thread pitch that can be a PITA...the 9mm has a more standard pitch (1/2x28, I believe). That way, you can use it on anything up to 9mm.

Best.