The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 2008, 05:42 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Shotgun Ballistics info sought...

Please enlighten a simple redneck.
I have 2 shotguns at my grasp. A 20gauge Mossberg 500 and a 12gauge Mav 88. The 20 is an 18.5 inch and the 12 is a 28 inch barrel. I would like to use both thru deer season.
My questions are better answered by real guys on TFL rather than sales promo info.
With regards to velocity, trajectory and energy, How does a 2 3/4 rifled slug compare to a 3 inch? Increased range?
Does a 3 inch 00 pack more powder than a 2 3/4 or just more pellets?
How much more umph and wallop does a 12 gauge slug of either length compare to a 20 gauge slug of either length?
Is #3 buck the biggest production 20 gauge buckshot available or just locally limited?
Brent
Old September 4, 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

hogdogs

Brent,

Can only help with part of the puzzle. I shoot 20 Gauge, but no slugs or buck.

As far as 12 gauge, I have extensive test data.

In a nut shell buckshot 2 3/4 vrs 3" is about extra shot, not extra VE. There is a little increase in penetration in gel blocks with mag loads, but you pay a price at the shoulder, I personally don't think it is worth it.

12 Gauge slugs (Brenneke) do seem to add a little energy in 3" about 200 ft lbs by calculation. Could make the difference against a good size whitetail. You might want to drop Dave Mc C a P/M he has blasted a bunch of deer with slugs. I have harvested two good size whitetails, both took 2 3/4 Brennekes just behind the shoulder blades @ 50 yrds no more. Both ran about 50 feet and expired.

Hope this helps, if you want actual test data I can publish it for you.

Take care DOGS, good luck on your hunt, Be Safe
Old September 4, 2008, 08:56 PM   #3
.45 COLT

The range with smoothbore rifled slugs is more limited by how far you can hit with them than by their remaining energy.

I don't think #1 Buck is loaded in 20 Gauge by any of the manufacturers any more.

The 15 pellet 3" 12 Gauge Buckshot loads have a slightly slower MV than the 12 pellet 2 3/4" loads. Personally, I don't see any advantage to using them, though I'm sure others disagree.

DC
Old September 16, 2008, 12:24 AM   #4
dandydany

ballistics

I had a 28" barrel cut down to 18 1/2 "couple month ago . It is a 20 ga. Apparently , that is the minimum barrel length that will still provide max velocity to the load so the extra barrel lenght is actually slowing down the load by friction and combustion of the powder charge and gravity. For all intend and purpose, a longer barrel is good for more accuracy.
Old September 16, 2008, 06:11 AM   #5
dchi

3" slug loads generally do add more velocity or greater slug weight than 2 3/4 loads. 1oz vs 1 1/4 oz

3" buck shot loads only offer more pellets. 9 00 buck standard vs 12 00 buck in magnums and 15 00 buck in 3" magnums. 12 GA

3 buck is the largest I can find in 20GA.

A bit of info on slugs. In a 12 GA, most 1 OZ Forester style slugs (pretty much every kind slug you find at Walmart that is design to be shot from a smooth bore) have a muzzle velocity of 1600 FPS. They slow down to 1200 FPS at 25 yards because of wind resistance and drag. So standard magnum slugs don't offer much except for alot more recoil.